Non-gaming references for your games

tkdguy

On 4/25/2022 at 6:36 AM, Cygnia said:

Honestly, I wish they'd update the Howdunnit series now that technology and science have marched on (or, in the case of some forensics, have been found out to be extremely flawed).

It would be nice.  But for me most of my games are pre-90s making the book contemporary or even "future tech" :nonp:

3 minutes ago, Spence said:

Interesting premise, but I would need players with the right mindset.  Currently I mostly run CoC, ToC, NBA and FI with a little A!C2d20 mixed in.    

I know CoC stands for Call of Cthulhu, but what are the others? I assume the last one is the Conan game. The only NBA I know is the basketball association.

6 hours ago, tkdguy said:

I know CoC stands for Call of Cthulhu, but what are the others? I assume the last one is the Conan game. The only NBA I know is the basketball association.

Call of Cthulhu

Trail of Cthulhu

Nights Black Agents

Fear Itself

and as Cygnia notes, Achtung! Cthulhu

I use CoC 7th edition and ToC, NBA and FI are all GUMSHOE games.  For A!C I am getting used to the 2d20 version which I think works pretty well for action pulp. 

9 hours ago, assault said:

My Fantasy cosmology and similar fluff is ripped from Plato. It's a bit hard to provide playable Spellcaster PCs from that though.

I am knee deep in preparing my Dragonflight one-shots for August.  Since I always vapor lock when trying to decide what to run I ask my local game group to vote on a few possible.  This year it will be:

A Klingon Star Trek Adventures game

A 1950s aliens game using a blend of NBA and Delta Green (GUMSHOE)

A 1935 Pulp spy actioner using A!C.

And the reason for this post. A cinematic Hero Fantasy (5thR) delve. 

The Hero game is taking 80% of my time.  Trying to make each PC have a unique feel while being balancing/complimenting the other PCs is a bear.  Not a D&D/PF style clone.  More of an anime/manga influnced western fantasy feel.

Running Cyberpunk Red on Roll20.  Have been using Google maps and Zillow to get info on houses and buildings, cutting screen shots up for maps, and it has worked out.  Los Angeles in the 2040s is pretty much the same, just more economically depressed, what after the tsunami, and the film making diaspora to avoid California taxes.