Setting SFX

Mr. R

Today I tried to make a NPC using the Metier System from Killer Shrikes page.

34 points for stats OK

Mage sight as a sense (will upgrade later)

Power skill at 16- and a few Languages, riding, WF, trading (any other skill good for a beginning PC)

Spells-  Uses a MP with RSR and a set of advantages and disadvantages based on the style chosen (I went 1/2 end and x4 diff to dispel ... Gestures, Incant., Concent. )  Oh and an END Reserve 40 end 3 Rec.

Now my point.  This is very... generic.  How do I personalize the caster?  I thought when you get the spell you choose the SFX and it remains that way forever.  So two casters who buy EB could have vastly different looking blasts like one is green flames and the other is a blue lightning bolt.  

Could I go so far as making this their tell?  The signature that it is them?  All their spells have this signature to it.  Heal spell is a comforting green flame, or running leaves little electrical squiggles (woah, that's a word?) .  Have a growth spell?  Covered in flames, or even more cool and electrical exoskeleton.

So how does this sound?

OH before someone asks, yes I would say choosing a second style would allow you to choose a new SFX for that style!

4 hours ago, Mr. R said:

Could I go so far as making this their tell?  The signature that it is them?  All their spells have this signature to it.  Heal spell is a comforting green flame, or running leaves little electrical squiggles (woah, that's a word?) .  Have a growth spell?  Covered in flames, or even more cool and electrical exoskeleton.

You could absolutely do this!  

Not only do I agree that is is possible, I have always said that the special effect/nature of the character should come first.  Before deciding on what powers do or don’t fit such and such frameworks.  A player should have an idea in mind of who they’re creating a set of powers for. 

• 1 month later...

The Metier style has this to say about SFX for matrixes (the metier equivalent of spells) from a top down perspective:

image.png.c50a6fbbdc6ec33e7712a0703eae84d9.png

Each of the sample styles further suggest how matrixes of that particular style are perceived by those with mystic senses, under the label of "signature"; for instance:

image.png.b987775f88d98c3aef67eccaf8482e2c.png

However, there's nothing preventing further elaboration. For starters, each individual matrix has some relevant SFX particular to what it is / does. It's a matter of taste if multiple practitioners with the same matrix (the exact same mechanic at the same point cost) have personalized SFX or a common SFX for that specific matrix. 

In the case of Metier where the intent is to emphasize a strong notion of identifiable styles of magic I would opt to have the same matrix of the same style have the same SFX for all practitioners of that same style. The conformity to magic as taught by that style would cement the idea of rigid differentiation between the different styles. I would be concerned that allowing practitioners of the same style having different personalized SFX for the same matrix would subvert the intended notion of style recognizability.

The vector of differentiation within Metier, for me, is between practitioners of different styles. Using the example styles as a for instance, imagine a practitioner of Preciat using a fireball type matrix and practitioner of Conde also using a fireball type matrix. They will have some mechanical differences due to the [required | restricted] [advantage | limitation] structure of Metier. But while they share some SFX (both have the SFX of Arcane, Metieran Magic, and Fire), they are also differentiated by other SFX and would reasonably have different sensory effects; how different is left as an exercise for your playgroup to decide as you see fit.

However, that's just my preference. It doesn't really matter either way if you prefer to have each caster have personalized SFX for all of their matrixes. It's a very fine grained tonal consideration.