Racist BS from nuTSR...

Cygnia

18 hours ago, Christopher R Taylor said:

Probably Wisdom could be capped lower, or charisma.  But as I said, in a fantasy setting you can shrug at real world differences because fantasy!  Sure it might not make real world sense but neither do hobbits and magic wands.  That's part of why we play fantasy :)

Which, IMO, is why the variable STR maxima were ultimately dropped.

Oh! That reminds me! The best character you can play in GURPS for "free" is a dark-skinned woman.

Females do not suffer the extra Shock penalty/Knockdown roll penalty when struck in the Groin Hit Location (though, in reality, it would still hurt quite a bit even for a woman) and dark skin provides protection against most sunburn; both of the aforementioned traits cost zero Character Points. Issues such as reduced Strength and Social Stigma are either optional OR setting-contingent.

3 hours ago, Cygnia said:

:blink:

...please tell me that's from an early edition of GURPS and not the most recent one...

I didn't see this mentioned in the 4th Edition GURPS Basic Set, but there is a note under Bulletproof Nudity that topless females get an extra +1 to active defenses when this cinematic combat rule is in effect.

5 hours ago, Cygnia said:

:blink:

...please tell me that's from an early edition of GURPS and not the most recent one...

What's with the face? Anyhow, that was true as of GURPS 4th Edition.

1 hour ago, Steve said:

I didn't see this mentioned in the 4th Edition GURPS Basic Set

Yeah: it's not explicitly mentioned, but, if you go through the rules, it makes sense.

Both of the following excerpts are from the GURPS Basic Set (Characters and Campaigns).

Groin (-3): The lower torso. Jackets and light armor don’t always cover this area. Treat as a torso hit, except that human males (and the males of similar species) suffer double the usual shock from crushing damage (to a maximum of -8), and get -5 to knockdown rolls.

Sunburn: After a day of full sun on unprotected skin, an albino will be near death and a light-skinned Caucasian will be very uncomfortable (1d-3 damage). Darker-skinned individuals may itch, but aren’t in much danger. Details are up to the GM.

1 hour ago, Ragitsu said:

Yeah: it's not explicitly mentioned, but, if you go through the rules, it makes sense.

Both of the following excerpts are from the GURPS Basic Set (Characters and Campaigns).

I discovered that the Knockdown and Stunning section has a similar note about making a HT roll to avoid knockdown and stunning. I don't play GURPS, so I'm not that familiar with the rules.

Modifiers: -5 for a major wound to the face or vitals (or to the groin, on a humanoid male)