Racist BS from nuTSR...

Cygnia

God, this is sickening. The concepts associated with race -- skin color, eye shape,, height, etc. -- are meaningless when it comes to moral worth. TThat is, except in the eyes of men like this.

Let me repeat this, as it's very important. Race is a nonsense concept. It is utterly meaningless when it involves human character or ability.

That's all I'm going to say. I have my own opinions about the use of "race" as a concept in D&D and other fantasy games, but they can wait for another time and setting.

28 minutes ago, Christopher R Taylor said:

I am reasonably certain that these are standard "UFO nut" categories of aliens, that have nothing whatsoever to do with humanity, but I do recognize how it looks, particularly to modern super-sensitive eyes.

From one of the articles linked by Cygnia:

The leaked images also show the rules state "Races in SFNG [Star Frontiers: New Genesis] are not unlike races in the real world. Some are better at certain things than others, and some races are superior than others. We get into this later on in the manual." More eugenics from the white writer who can't form coherent sentences.

The leaked manual also describes the Black Lives Matter and Anti-Fascist movements as radical - because being opposed to racism and not liking fascists is apparently extreme.

It seems pretty clear the writer is avowedly racist, not merely clueless.

Dean Shomshak

• 2 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...
On 8/29/2022 at 3:06 AM, Trencher said:

So its not a joke or troll? They actually have the Spanish word for black as an sub optimal race?

Thats just trash. 

Oh, that doesn't even scratch the surface.

Use the link Cygnia has, in the 2nd post, for DriveThruRPG's statement.  It's got a link to No Hate In Games' page on this, where there's a literal cesspool of this guy's stuff.  And I do mean cesspool.  DO NOT follow that link on a work computer unless you want to risk a call from HR.  Pro-Nazi, racist, anti-gay, misogynistic...got em all.

• 3 weeks later...

Anyone remember the old 1e characteristics maxima in D&D?  Same across the board except that female characters always had a lower STR maximum.

*shrug* that's true about women vs men in real life.  Does it need to be true in a fantasy setting?  Nah, its fantasy.  If I can buy you can cast spells and ride a dragon, I can buy that a 5' elf girl can fight as well and be as strong as a 6'8 barbarian.  But its not sexist and evil to note reality.

3 hours ago, Christopher R Taylor said:

*shrug* that's true about women vs men in real life.  Does it need to be true in a fantasy setting?  Nah, its fantasy.  If I can buy you can cast spells and ride a dragon, I can buy that a 5' elf girl can fight as well and be as strong as a 6'8 barbarian.  But its not sexist and evil to note reality.

So there is no characteristic where a lower maximum for men than for women would be appropriate?  And it is true across the board, for all races, that men are stronger (the Drow were a notable 1e exception, but even there the warriors were typically male, not female)?  I think the lower STR of smaller races is reasonable, although Humans always had the highest STR limit, as I recall.

Unfortunately, in today's society, I believe there is a fairly large contingent which does consider noting some realities  to be sexist or racist, and therefore evil.

So there is no characteristic where a lower maximum for men than for women would be appropriate?

Probably Wisdom could be capped lower, or charisma.  But as I said, in a fantasy setting you can shrug at real world differences because fantasy!  Sure it might not make real world sense but neither do hobbits and magic wands.  That's part of why we play fantasy :)