How does Lingering (Power Advantage) work?

Mr. R

I ask, because I am making some NPC for my FH and I am adapting power sets from Killer Shrike.  A number of the powers have Lingering with usually 1 extra turn (+1/2).  Now the description in my HD (uses 5th ed.) says it is a power that can be used, then set aside while you do something else, but can be reused again anytime within the timeframe.

Example 

Retributive Gaze  3d6 Ego Blast, Lingering  End 4 

Now I adding a Limitations SE (cause LTE loss equal to AP/10 to activate the power) 

Questions:

Does this person pay the regular End cost every time they use the power thereafter?

Can this person set aside use of the gaze, use another ability, then go back to using it, is that the correct assumption?

Any other tips and trick to using this advantage?

Note: I'd look in the rules, but my 5th ed. book is in storage and the 6th ed. has no entry for it!

Am now with my books. Lingering can be found in FH 5E, p. 258, the discussion on duration of spells.

Yes, when the spell is cast, the character pays any END Cost, and also each time when the ability the spell grants is used/activated.

Yes, the spell can be utilized at any time during the time limit, even if another ability has been used/activated after the spell was cast (barring, of course, the specific builds of the Powers involved).

Other tips and tricks? The most obvious use of Lingering (and its 6E counterpart, Time Limit) would be to circumvent Disads/Limitations on the Power. Spells are often built with Extra Time, Concentration, Gestures, Incantations, Skill Roll -- with Lingering, those only come into play when the spell is cast, and for a limited time the Power can be activated again as a Zero-Phase Action.

Me-from-the-past included some useful notes on the subject here, back in the day:

https://www.killershrike.com/FantasyHERO/HighFantasyHERO/GeneralSpellRestrictions.aspx#LINGERING

LINGERING
This option is in effect in my campaigns
On a related tangent to Physical Manifestation, some attack Spells bring into being an object which may be used to convey an attack repeatedly, such as a Magical Effect that "summons" or "creates" a "weapon" like a Sword. However, most Attack Powers are Instant in nature, and thus don't lend themselves to bringing a reusable "weapon" into effect.
While this could theoretically be represented as a Constant Power construct using the FOCI or Restrainable rules to represent the "weapon", it makes for a relatively clumsy Power construct. Fortunately Fantasy HERO provides an ideal solution in the form of a new Advantage called Lingering detailed on page 257 of the Fantasy HERO Genre Book for HERO System 5th Edition.
Lingering may only be applied to Instant powers and varies in its value based upon how long the Power sticks around on the Time Chart. Without impinging on the IP of HERO Games, suffice to say that a Lingering Instant Power may be used or not used on successive Phases, targeted anew each time, for the duration of the Lingering Advantage. By default the Lingering attack is perceivable for the duration (a variation of Invisible Power Effects may be applied to avoid this), and the SFX of the attack may be defined creatively as usual for the HERO System.
Thus, a "Summon Sword" Spell may be defined as a Lingering Hand Killing Attack, and the SFX of the Spell can be defined as "A sword appears and may be used to strike at opponents".  The "sword" can't be taken away from the Character or attacked directly (unless Physical Manifestation is also taken for the Spell), and really doesn't exist in any meaningful fashion, but has the appearance of being a physical sword.
USING LINGERING
Lingering is a fabulously useful Power Advantage for creating Spells with and I recommend its use, both in and out of conjunction with Physical Manifestation.
However, there have been several clarifying points made by Steve Long regarding the Advantage on the HERO System Rules Questions Forum, available in the HERO System Rules FAQ for Fantasy HERO.
The most significant ruling made thus far as pertains to the content of this website is the relation of Lingering and Charges; Lingering qualifies to unlock the "Continuing" option for Charges, just as if it were a Constant or Continuous Power. This feature of Lingering is used heavily in the Spells provided on this website and should be noted.
Lingering FAQ Entries (as of August 2, 2004)
Q: Regarding the Lingering Advantage on FH 257:
  1. If the spell is in a Multipower and the Multipower is switched to another slot, does the Lingering power remain in effect for its defined duration?
  2. Does a Lingering spell automatically become Persistent?
  3. How does Lingering interact with Charges?
  4. Can characters apply the Uncontrolled Advantage to powers bought with the Lingering Advantage?
A:
  1. As a default, no switching to another Power Framework slot cancels the spell. The GM is free to change that rule for a particular spell or magic system if he sees fit.
  2. No.
  3. If a power has Charges, each use ends after one Phase passes, even if its also a Lingering power. If a character wants to have a Lingering power that has Charges and for which each activation lasts for the specified Lingering duration, he must make them Continuing Charges with a duration equal to the Lingering duration. Since the characters already paying extra for Lingering, (a) he is allowed to apply Continuing Charges to an Instant Power, and (b) you should cap the value of Continuing Charges at -0. The GM can change either of these rules if he prefers otherwise for reasons of campaign balance or the like.
  4. No.
REF: Lingering, consult Page 257 Fantasy HERO for HERO System 5th Edition

Lingering allows you to cast a spell and have its effect stay around for a specific duration.  After the spell is cast you can use the power anytime as long as the duration is still in effect.  By default, you pay the END for the spell when you cast it and every time you use it.  You don’t have to pay the end when you are not using the power.  This advantage only applies to instant powers.   

The only thing lingering does is allow you to use the power without having to cast it every phase.  It does not change any other aspect of the power including how a multipower works, or things like if a spell is persistent or uncontrollable.  Nothing else besides the casting of the spell is altered in any way shape or form.   

6 hours ago, LoneWolf said:

Lingering allows you to cast a spell and have its effect stay around for a specific duration.  After the spell is cast you can use the power anytime as long as the duration is still in effect.  By default, you pay the END for the spell when you cast it and every time you use it.  You don’t have to pay the end when you are not using the power.  This advantage only applies to instant powers.   

The only thing lingering does is allow you to use the power without having to cast it every phase.  It does not change any other aspect of the power including how a multipower works, or things like if a spell is persistent or uncontrollable.  Nothing else besides the casting of the spell is altered in any way shape or form.   

What is the cost of this advantage per shift in the time chart? Also, why isn't this in the main 6ed/Champions Complete? Is this actually in Fantasy Hero Complete?