Flash stuck on target

sturmrider

Hi guys,

Trying to build an unusual power. The concept is I flash a target. That target now has stuck on him an area of effect let's say 6 meters for the next 4 rounds where anyone else entering it will trigger another flash.

So basic concepts are there has to be a trigger which will then generate a flash attack that affects anyone who entered the area, but it also effects the person it is stuck on. I figure the power is uncontrolled and cannot be bought with reduced endurance in any way so you have to spend the endurance for how long the field lasts. 

There are some uncommon effects in this power and I haven't built a power that sticks to anything and is triggered by something else before. I figured here was the place to do it. It may have to be a compound power not sure.

Thank you for any suggestions.

Valid point, altho it doesn't impact the legality.  

Attacker makes the attack against a target.  If the attack hits the target, at his full DCV:

--target becomes the centerpoint for the AoE, until the END pool empties. 

--Target and anyone else in the AoE are Flashed. 

--Anyone moving into the AoE, either by their choice OR due to the target moving, is Flashed.

--The duration of the Flash effect is separate from the duration of the Flash power.  Once hit by the power, the Flash effect duration (which is in segments) applies.  If the Flash power's duration (which is in phases) extends beyond the effect duration, determined on a person-by-person basis since different people may be affected on different segments, then the Flash power takes effect on them again.  The key point is to recognize that the two timed effects are separate.

If the attack misses, or when the power's targeted at a hex...the point of impact has to be determined.  That's case-specific, clearly.  But once that's determined, that is the centerpoint for the AoE, and the rest follows.   

Clearly the Flash is AoE (+1/2 for up to 8 meters radius); Constant (+1/2), Uncontrolled (+1/2).  It’s not Sticky – that transmits it to other targets.  It’s more like Mobile (+1/2) using the option to place the power on the target hit (Hero 6e V1 p 324). 

That RAW discussion suggests Usable as an Attack, which seems needlessly complex.  +1/2 for making the area move with the target seems reasonable.

Of course, I am now envisioning a teammate with either a compensatory enhanced sense or Flash Defense sufficient to ignore the attack, and who has a high movement rate…but there are few Hero constructs that can’t be abused if we work hard enough.

If a power is sticky, it transmits to others touching the target.  So the blinded target touches a couple of teammates and now hey also radiate a Flash aura.

Of course, whether we call it "sticky does not transmit", "mobile moves with target" or "custom advantage", if we agree on the cost and the effect, the name has no real impact.

22 hours ago, unclevlad said:

Valid point, altho it doesn't impact the legality.  

Attacker makes the attack against a target.  If the attack hits the target, at his full DCV:

--target becomes the centerpoint for the AoE, until the END pool empties. 

--Target and anyone else in the AoE are Flashed. 

--Anyone moving into the AoE, either by their choice OR due to the target moving, is Flashed.

--The duration of the Flash effect is separate from the duration of the Flash power.  Once hit by the power, the Flash effect duration (which is in segments) applies.  If the Flash power's duration (which is in phases) extends beyond the effect duration, determined on a person-by-person basis since different people may be affected on different segments, then the Flash power takes effect on them again.  The key point is to recognize that the two timed effects are separate.

If the attack misses, or when the power's targeted at a hex...the point of impact has to be determined.  That's case-specific, clearly.  But once that's determined, that is the centerpoint for the AoE, and the rest follows.   

You have defined exactly what I'm trying to make. Not sure if I can do it, but working on it.

18 hours ago, sturmrider said:

I think I am coming up with it is a neat idea, but not feasible the cost is somewhere around 20 points per die after you add in all the modifiers. Neat thought just not practical. Thank you everyone for your input.

On 10/9/2022 at 4:18 PM, Hugh Neilson said:

Clearly the Flash is AoE (+1/2 for up to 8 meters radius); Constant (+1/2), Uncontrolled (+1/2).  It’s not Sticky – that transmits it to other targets.  It’s more like Mobile (+1/2) using the option to place the power on the target hit (Hero 6e V1 p 324). 

That RAW discussion suggests Usable as an Attack, which seems needlessly complex.  +1/2 for making the area move with the target seems reasonable.

The above would be 15 points per 1d6, so in a 60 AP game, would be 4d6.  It would cost 6 END per phase you want it to stick around, so that could get tiring.  However, assuming the user has a SPD of 4, this would effectively blind everyone in the field for its entire duration, unless they have flash defense.  That's a pretty potent effect.

One question I always ask with effects like this is how happy the players would be if it was used against them.