Authority style killing blows

Eyendasky80

hit locations are an excellent way to simulate bloody and violent combat.

I use it in my Cyberpunk campaigns with excellent effectiveness ... the firefights are short, violent and deadly. Players start to think twice before opening up with gunfire.

From FREd p278:

Disabling, optional rule

Whenver the BODY damage done to an area (before or after the BODYx) is more than the characters total BODY, that area is disabled.

which is more damage required than in 4e I believe which was just 1/3 total BODY to an area disables it.

Either way, a super with a KA doing a called headshot will probably pop through their skull and empty the contents out the other side.

Mostly its also a matter of story telling, if ripping the opponents arm off and beating them to death with it would make for good cinematics I, and maybe my current GM, would probably allow it. If you punched some shmoe in the skull and did seven BODY to it and he's got a total of 10 BODY I'd say he was effectively headless.

ghost

Originally posted by ghost-angel

Mostly its also a matter of story telling, if ripping the opponents arm off and beating them to death with it would make for good cinematics I, and maybe my current GM, would probably allow it.

And it gives the GM an excuse to eventually bring the character back as a more powerful cyborg villain, with a built-in motivation.

Or a villain gathers together every person that the heroes have maimed and rebuilds them as a "Revenge Squad".

Guest Champsguy

A few things:

1st, there is a super game system out there that allows you to choose between normal and killing damage every time you attack. It's the old Mayfair game system, DC Heroes.

2nd, I just read through the first dozen or so issues of The Authority again about a week ago. The villains they fight (and The Authority themselves) are NOT invulnerable. Is Jack Hawksmoor strong? Yes, he is. He's described as having the strength of 3 men. Woo-hoo! Three whole men! The Authority themselves are tough, but no moreso than average super heroes. Apollo gets hurt when he smashes into things. He's actually weaker than your generic Superman clone. Like Prime from the Ultraverse, he loses his charge faster and faster the more you beat on him.

I'd suggest using killing attacks, all the optional damage rules, and the 5th Edition standard for defenses for the Authority's opponents (the 5th Edition standards are actually quite low). My writeups for the members of the Authority have them clocking in at about 700 points (most of it pure combat--they don't have any skills). If you use 350 Champions writeups for their villains (20 PD Defender), you should get the exact effect you're looking for.

Guest Champsguy

Re: Re: in my humble opinion...

Originally posted by WhammeWhamme

I'd go with this... but isn't 'immune to bullets' fairly common?

Not in The Authority. The Engineer's first tactic is almost always to make machine-gun hands and shoot people. What's sad is that, for the most part, that's all she ever has to do.

Guest Champsguy
Originally posted by Metaphysician

Which, if you use my "Head as Limb" idea, and a Body of 12, means that said 14d6 attack just decapitated anybody with 24 defense or less.

Nah. You double the Body taken after you apply defenses.

Originally posted by Deejmeister

The easiest way to get this kind of feel in Hero, without changeing how STR works, is to give everybody (or everybody with superhuman STR) the free ability to convert thier normal STR damage into killing damage. So a brick with 60 STR can do 12d6 normal, or 4d6 K depending on how pissed off he is.

If I did this, I would rule that it is a less efficient use of barehanded STR, and cut the damage in half for an HKA.

No real reasoning. It just feels right.

I'd also consider making an optional maneuver at -3 OCV or somesuch.