I was looking through some older Champions books and came across the Mastermind option in Champions II (p. 21-22). Anyone ever try and bring this forward into newer editions? I often wonder why it wasn't included going forward. Was it just too game breaking? Anyone know?

I think one player tried to use it in the game I was in...long, long time ago.  My admittedly VERY vague memory was that it didn't work out that well.  But yeah, as Grail noted...it might've been that the player spent the points...and IIRC didn't have that many left.  With a GM that loved twisting what you did and one-upping you...while likely flat-out ignoring the rules.  

On 7/12/2023 at 8:37 AM, Sketchpad said:

I was looking through some older Champions books and came across the Mastermind option in Champions II (p. 21-22). Anyone ever try and bring this forward into newer editions? I often wonder why it wasn't included going forward. Was it just too game breaking? Anyone know?

I use it for all the superhero groups in the campaign. No, I never found it gamebreaking, nor have the players.

10 hours ago, Sketchpad said:

How does it hold up in more recent editions?

Holds up fine. Still using it; doesn't seem to matter which edition is used.  If regular points are gathered from heroes, instead of Mastermind option, you can get an okay base. Using the Mastermind option, you can get more of an advanced Avengers type base. Quite frankly, I will stick to the Mastermind option.

Edited by Tech