Kicking Vlads Butt!

GrimJesta

Heres one I cant answer for myself: How would one simulate staking a Vampire?

I know it would be a called shot, and Id make the target small of course, so Id use the OCV penalty for striking a hand. But what would the mechanic be for: "stake through heart equals torpored, like in Vampire the Masq.? Would it be like a zero range entangle linked to a massive h-t-h attack OAF?

Im totally stumped on this one.

-=Grim=-

Yea, I dont wanna dust em though. Im a big World of Darkness fan, so I wanna go with the immobilized/incapacitated version. I cant seem to figure it out though. The Vamps with the Physlim of immobilization would be what? Common, since wood is everywhere? Or Uncommon, as sharpened wood isnt everywhere? Or should I break it up that characters with a 15+ STR are strong enough to ram a blunter object through ribcage while lesser strength cannot and needs it sharp?

Hrmmm... I think Im overcomplicating things.

-=Grim=-

Originally posted by GrimJesta

Yea, I dont wanna dust em though. Im a big World of Darkness fan, so I wanna go with the immobilized/incapacitated version. I cant seem to figure it out though. The Vamps with the Physlim of immobilization would be what? Common, since wood is everywhere? Or Uncommon, as sharpened wood isnt everywhere? Or should I break it up that characters with a 15+ STR are strong enough to ram a blunter object through ribcage while lesser strength cannot and needs it sharp?

Hrmmm... I think Im overcomplicating things.

-=Grim=-

I recommend simplifying it. Its an uncommon (how often do you have a stake through your heart), but total limitation (you aren't going anyware or doing anything sonny-jim). 15 Points.

Originally posted by pinecone

I think maybe a stake is just a limit on Regeneration from death..."cannot heal while staked" after all if someone shoved a stake through my heart I would be imobilized...And dead, so it's dosen't seem like much of a lim to Only be immobilzed but Not be dead.....YMMV....

Its a lim when the people who staked you leave you out in the open at sunrise, or put you on the track leading into the incinerator at a mortuary...

Originally posted by D-Man

Its a lim when the people who staked you leave you out in the open at sunrise, or put you on the track leading into the incinerator at a mortuary...

I think part of his point was, if "Immobilized When Staked..." is worth 15 points, how many points is "Killed When Staked..."? The other part of his point was, everyone has the latter.

Originally posted by archer

I think part of his point was, if "Immobilized When Staked..." is worth 15 points, how many points is "Killed When Staked..."? The other part of his point was, everyone has the latter.

A vampire isn't automatically killed when staked through the heart in most vampire fiction, which means they don't have the latter disadvantage.

Regeneration is supposed to come with built in limitations. For a vamp you just assign not versus sunlight, fire, or if staked through the heart.

In hero there is no mechanic that says someone dies if they are shot in the heart, staked in the heart, or have their heart cut out. Damage is abstract, and death is only reached when negative the characters body score is reached.

A stake may only do 1d6+1 damage (or so) to a character, lets assume 2d6 with strength. So it averages 7 body. The heart is a vitals shot (I don't recall the body multiplier so lets assume X2) for 14. If the vamp has enough body it might not even be sufficient to put him down (and if he has damage reduction it won't even come close).

A character without the physical lim might still be up and functioning at that point (probably con stunned, but again, a few points of damage resistance and damage reduction could avoid that too). We would just extrapolate the description from the effect of the attack and conclude "must have missed the heart"

A vampire with the physical lim is down because a hit with a stake that does body to the defined location immobilizes him even if it doesn't do enough body to put him down (indeed even one point of body should prove sufficient).

I think its worth fifteen points - after all: everyone who plays games, reads vampire novels, or watches forever knight or buffy knows the heart trick.

For a vampire who was automatically destroyed by a successful shot to the heart I would award more points: 25-30

I would go with a Physical Limitation. Imobilized is Staked in the Heart. (sorry, can't cost it right now...books not handy)

Now, whether or not a Vamp is properly staked is a little harder, but not at all difficult if you know where to look.

Base it on the Impairing and Disabling rules.

If the stake does an Impairing wound to the vampire, then they are partially staked and partially immobilized. (the vamp can move slowly with successful Con rolls etc. Get creative) If the stake attack does a Disabling wound, then the vamp is fully staked and completely immobilized. If the attack doesn't do enough damage, then the stake may have been deflected by the ribcage or just missed the heart...

And I would consider the Heart to be a Vitals hit, which is -8 OCV to aim, and X2 Body, X4 Stun multiplier. (don't forget that Impairing and Disabling wounds count after the Multiplier as well)

A typical stake would be 1D6 HKA with a -1 OCV (they aren't great weapons) and a STR Min of 8.

Buffy has at least 6 skill levels with Stakes and 5 penalty skill levels for targeting Stakes and Use Art with Stakes on all her Martial Art styles (where appropriate) :P

Originally posted by dugfromthearth

if a vampire is not killed by a stake to the heart then:

vuln: 2X stun from wooden stake to heart

recovery does not work with stake in heart

so you have to hit vitals for double stun, then you get 2X stun from the vuln, so 4X stun. If you knock them out they don't recover.

The Vitals is a X4 Stun Multiplier for killing damage and X1.5 stun multiplier for Normal damage.

I'd consider a Stake to the Heart to be killing damage, thus the Stun Multiple is X4, then after that double it for the vulnerability.

OUCH!