Hero System Mobile: Beta Testers

sentry0

The Hero System Mobile app has gone through a significant amount of changes in the latest update.  From a user perspective, the interesting bits will better support the 5th edition of Hero.  Here is what you can expect there.

Here are some general fixes in the patch.

Now, that’s what you can look at and play with.  Under the hood, I significantly rewrote some areas and upgraded many libraries.  I am starting a beta program to test the under-the-hood changes before I unleash the latest code on the app stores for general consumption.

You can help by testing the app by joining the open Beta for iOS or Android. I'll post the beta links at the end of this post as they come in.

As always, leave bug reports in this thread or DM me directly.  Bad crashes should prompt a crash report, so please take the time to file one. It does help to receive them.

Thanks so much for your patience while I got this patch sorted, and happy bug hunting.

PS: I do most of my in-depth testing on an Android phone, so I could use some help from the iOS side of the fence.

Beta Links

Android Beta - https://play.google.com/apps/testing/com.herogmtools

Apple Beta - https://testflight.apple.com/join/VnuJAmln

I love this app and play with it a lot. I just wish there was a way to export the random characters.

PS: For both your apps I have tested it on Samsung dex and they respond well to resizing for side by side multitasking. I do not know if you did that on purpose. But I love it.

Great job!

1 hour ago, Ndreare said:

I love this app and play with it a lot. I just wish there was a way to export the random characters.

PS: For both your apps I have tested it on Samsung dex and they respond well to resizing for side by side multitasking. I do not know if you did that on purpose. But I love it.

Great job!

Thanks, the re-sizing is on purpose.  I apply a linear scaling technique using this humorously named library - https://www.npmjs.com/package/react-native-size-matters

I have a bunch of bugs to squash in the new HSM app by the looks of things.  It's a bit of a trainwreck right now 😒

I just pushed an update that addresses several issues with viewing characters.  These updates are currently pending review so please be patient while they head through the various app store review processes.  The 2.1.2 version should hit your devices within a day or so.

I think all the egregious bugs have been fixed but I could use some help verifying.

Thanks to those already in the beta programs 😁

New builds are coming down the pipe in the next day or so...

Here's what to expect.

• Added dice to the dice rollers
  • The status dialog is now more stable and less hidden behind the keyboard
  • Fixed several issues with the combat screen
  • Top navigation tabs are larger and easier to press

A new build is incoming to address some lingering issues with the UI.

What you can expect.

• The home screen has been redesigned
  • Added icons to the drawer menu
  • Added dice to the dice rollers
  • Removed the main subheading on the view character screen
  • Fixed a bug on the hit screen w/rolling multiple hits
  • The characters screen now prints by character name, not file name
  • Fixed an issue with the notes screen

See the attached screens for the look and feel updates.

home-new.thumb.png.48441f52eeec87910c08029ca79fe057.png   drawer-icons.thumb.png.0434e34761bc3b25e410b35fa69c6581.png    result-new.thumb.png.225227cb3c6b479145ba32a884ad120e.png

I pushed a new build with the following changes.

• Added a hexgrid to the app background
  • Fix a bug with target DCV's not appearing on hit results
  • Fixed an issue with characters that are corrupt/not a zip

I'm calling this a release candidate and plan on pushing it to the app stores this weekend, barring any serious bug reports.

One more visual enhancement I put in is better handling of partial dice.  Partial dice are called out more clearly on the result screen.

Here's a doctored screenshot with some notes about the improved result screen.

Note: The improvements are not in the beta builds yet; next build will have them.

roll-with-partial.thumb.png.4a0921e7a6b4d4edec0f79863b695509.png

6 hours ago, Ndreare said:

I was going to play with it. But still waiting on google to roll out. I still have v2.0.1

You can click on the beta link below for your device type.  Be warned, that you cannot have the production (2.0.1) and Beta versions on the same device.  You will lose your loaded characters if you switch to the Beta track.

Android Beta - https://play.google.com/apps/testing/com.herogmtools

Apple Beta - https://testflight.apple.com/join/VnuJAmln

I needed to remove the ring chart from the app.  The library I was using is no longer maintained and was flagged by my NPM as having 5 critical vulnerabilities.  Because of this library, I also had to turn off the recommended protections to install the app dependencies (F is --force, never a good sign).  It had to go.

Now, my build system is reporting 0 vulnerabilities 🎉

The new charting library I have is much nicer to work with and has a lot of options.  Who knows, maybe it will see some more use in the future.

Here is the revamped Statistics chart.  Does it make sense?

revised-stats-chart.thumb.png.bf1dfa0baa64056124f2a4d40aef4868.png

I am pushing a new release candidate build to the app stores.  I just swapped out the charting lib and tweaked the settings screen on this one.

This will likely be the build I push to production later this weekend.  Many things changed under the hood, but I don't bore people with those details.  I confine my patch notes to what you can look at and play with and bug fixes.

Here are the combined notes for what users should expect.

• The home screen has been redesigned
  • Added animated dice to the dice rollers
  • Redid the look and feel of the cards in the character viewer
  • Animations can be disabled on the Settings screen
  • Added icons to the drawer menu
  • Removed the main subheading on the view character screen
  • The characters screen now prints by character name, not file name
  • Added a hex-grid to the app background
  • Improved the display of partial dice on the Result screen
  • Changed the chart on the statistics screen
  • Fixed Mental Defense totals in 5th edition
  • Fixed Elemental Control costs in 5th edition
  • Added support for No Figured Characteristics in 5th edition
  • Fixed a bug with HKAs and adders
  • Stylized the gutters on switches so they are more visible

With that, I need to walk away and give this time to settle.  I'll pay extra close attention after the app is pushed into production for bug reports so I can address new or existing issues as appropriate.

Thanks to all my testers, and happy Hero-ing all!

12 minutes ago, unclevlad said:

I'm not sure what the goal of your statistics page is.  Right now, I see no value in it, but let's start with that question:  what's the goal here?

And since you brought it up, do you know the RNG your code's using?  I *hate* bad RNGs...and very often, the easiest to use, built-in ones are pathetic.  

The stats page is just for fun...

What would you suggest I use for better PRNG?

Can you find out which RNG is being used?  And what are you developing in?

I use Mersenne Twister.  Reasonably small, readily available.  It may also be what you have.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mersenne_Twister

I note that NumPy went to a PCG64...

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Permuted_congruential_generator

The code for this is incredibly simple, and the notes say it's passing all the tests that matter for an app like this.  It's also smaller.  You might need to write the little secondary stuff (like converting the uint to an int in the [x...y] range), but it's likely in any precompiled library.

8 minutes ago, unclevlad said:

Can you find out which RNG is being used?  And what are you developing in?

I use Mersenne Twister.  Reasonably small, readily available.  It may also be what you have.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mersenne_Twister

I note that NumPy went to a PCG64...

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Permuted_congruential_generator

The code for this is incredibly simple, and the notes say it's passing all the tests that matter for an app like this.  It's also smaller.  You might need to write the little secondary stuff (like converting the uint to an int in the [x...y] range), but it's likely in any precompiled library.

I originally was going to use Mersenne Twister.  I had an implementation that I was going to use but decided against it as this is an app for a game.  There's no money involved and it's not using any crypto.  

Do you use the app?

No, I don't, which is why I've mostly stayed out of this thread...but you asked for feedback on a UI aspect that's pretty much independent, and hey, we started talking about damage rolls and stun probabilities in the 5E/6E comparison thread, and that got me to put my mathematician's hat back on.  That's always dangerous.

MT is fine if you have an implementation.  It takes some space, but even with Android or iOS apps, you're not exactly starved for space.  I may switch, because it looks like Java 17 makes things easier, with good generators that are faster.  I sometimes do some VERY large Monte Carlo sims for grins.

3 minutes ago, unclevlad said:

No, I don't, which is why I've mostly stayed out of this thread...but you asked for feedback on a UI aspect that's pretty much independent, and hey, we started talking about damage rolls and stun probabilities in the 5E/6E comparison thread, and that got me to put my mathematician's hat back on.  That's always dangerous.

MT is fine if you have an implementation.  It takes some space, but even with Android or iOS apps, you're not exactly starved for space.  I may switch, because it looks like Java 17 makes things easier, with good generators that are faster.  I sometimes do some VERY large Monte Carlo sims for grins.

Well, thanks for stopping by. See you around.

I added in support for better PRNG with this commit - https://github.com/slackdaystudio/hero-system-mobile/commit/94270479e3123f65531c05cd4734352a20b3d2e1

It uses xoroshiro+ as its algorithm by default - https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Xorshift#xoroshiro

I changed the settings tab to have a 'Performance' section with a few options for people to toggle on or off.  Animations will probably get you more bang for your buck in that section than turning off the extra roll entropy.

This is on by default.

prng-overkill.thumb.png.f7ef1f058973f3b5dcdf0b59d47d16e0.png