Variants on the Alien Cop Trope?

Jkeown

So... I've got two big events coming up in Meta-Earth. First is the invasion by Istvatha V'han's forces from another dimension, and then the campaign's transition to Galactic Champions. (I'm also running the Great Supervillain Contest at the same time... but that's another matter.)

I've got this character, the Imp, as readers will attest from a while back. It's easy to send a detective (Thorne) from her race to Meta-Earth to cause trouble while trying to track her down. This helps introduce the Players to the wider multiverse and makes the invasion seem like a less jarring experience. Almost a narrative ringing of a doorbell.

Alternatively, there is an old character in Villains and Vigilantes adventure "The Centerville Incident" named Proxima. She's an android cop, she's a spaceship... she's all that and more. I want to introduce her in my scenario "Age of Zorax." This makes Galactic Champions a smoother transition. I'm not clear on using Multiform to switch between android and ship form, and even less clear whether I care, given that it's an NPC and a solid concept. 

Problem is, it's the same adventure, isn't it? Alien (the Imp or Zorax) is causing trouble and cop (Thorne or Proxima) causes trouble before the Player Characters get the whole story and the scenario plays out as cooperation between Meta-Earth's heroes and the alien. 

I just don't feel like I can run both and not feel like I'm repeating myself. 

So have the two villains come to Earth in a loose alliance and let one of the NPC cops be after both of them. They could normally handle them individually but need help against both. or beef up one of the villains with the adventure's plot hook and have the detective and cyborg/spaceship be partners tracking them down.

Edited by Grailknight

20 minutes ago, Grailknight said:

So have the two villains come to Earth in a loose alliance and let one of the NPC cops be after both of them. They could normally handle them individually but need help against both. or beef up one of the villains with the adventure's plot hook and have the detective and cyborg/spaceship be partners tracking them down.

I like that a lot!

Nah.

You can have similar set pieces; you almost _have to_: given that we work within a set of rules that governs interactions, then those ste pieces must work within the rules.

That doesnt mean you have to tell the same story.  You can play checkers with chess pieces, you know.  ;)

1 hour ago, Duke Bushido said:

Nah.

You can have similar set pieces; you almost _have to_: given that we work within a set of rules that governs interactions, then those ste pieces must work within the rules.

That doesnt mean you have to tell the same story.  You can play checkers with chess pieces, you know.  ;)

Are you calling his campaign checkers? 😱

If you feel the need of a new organization of sorts, and plan to incorporate a bit of time travel, I would add the TED to the list. It should be noted that while a police force, they are not technically good guys. There goals are the preservation of the entire time line of the universe. They don't technically save lives or prevent disasters.

You won't find the TED in any book, but on this board. Just search for the TED.

Just now, Stanley Teriaca said:

If you feel the need of a new organization of sorts, and plan to incorporate a bit of time travel, I would add the TED to the list. It should be noted that while a police force, they are not technically good guys. There goals are the preservation of the entire time line of the universe. They don't technically save lives or prevent disasters.

You won't find the TED in any book, but on this board. Just search for the TED.