Life Support through the ages

Converting old characters to 6th edition is always fun, but I ran into something I hadn't looked at for a long time: Life Support.  Back through 3rd edition, Life Support was inclusive: you paid points to get more and more effect rather than selecting individual abilities.  So far so good, but I remembered that.  What I didn't remember was this level: 

15 pts: The hero is immune to gasses absorbed through the skin.

Pretty cool.  And also: missing from modern Life Support.  Its sort of implied with the pressure immunities, but isn't actually a specific part of the power any more.  I find that really curious, why was it dropped or did it just slip through the cracks?  I am simulating it with immunity to low and high pressure in rebuilds.

The 0-point adder impermeable for resistant defense prevents skin to skin contact so might be another way to prevent touch-based gasses and poisons form affecting a character.  It is generally considered to be a completely sealed suit.  If you skin is not exposed how can a gas reach it?