Life on a Lunar Colony

Michael Hopcroft

Presdient Bush is about to annoucne his desire to establish a base on the Moon. fair enough, but I want it taken a step further. I want to see a COLONY on the Moon in my lifetime. Before i die I want to read in the newspaper about the first children born on other worlds.

If you were to build a lunar colony with available-in-the-present-day technolgoy, hwat would life there be like? How can you build things so the colony is not totally dependent on resupply from Earth for survival? If someone were to move to the Moon permanently, what effect would lunar gravity and living in cotnrolled environments eventually have on their bodies? Can we put enough people on the moon that cabin fever won;t be a problem anymore, and you're not just talkigng with the same five or six people every day and never seeing anyone else?? How would you raise a family on the Moon? How would a child who has lived the Moon all her life "go outside and play"?

A lot of Questions here...:)

1) If you were to build a lunar colony with available-in-the-present-day technology, what would life there be like?

Very interesting to everyone on Earth, probably boring for the people there. I imagine there would have to be a "'landing pad" to recieve supplies, and most of the colony would be underground. With current technology, the colonists would rarely go outside, they would probably use robots and other forms of automation to gather samples and explore. Most of their entertainment awould be electronic in form, they would be the first civilization 100% dependent upon electricity.

2) How can you build things so the colony is not totally dependent on resupply from Earth for survival?

Depends on what their goals are, what they want to build. Assuming their goals are fairly simple...to support missions further into space and expand their colony to provide for more colonists. Food could be grown in Hydroponics, meat would be rare or nonexistant. Electronic information could be easily transmitted, so the problem is having the materials to build the things they already know how to build. Organics would have to be imported, as would all plastics. Even the soil for hydroponics (assuming they bother to use it) would have to be imported. Power would not be a problem...but if they went with nuclear power, they would need to import the fuel. They would probably go solar, for political reasons more than anything. Making anything with light metals would be ridculously cheap, there would be plenty of those. Getting them out of the lunar rocks would be very time consuming though.

3) If someone were to move to the Moon permanently, what effect would lunar gravity and living in controlled environments eventually have on their bodies?

They would eventually be unable to return to Earth, anyone born there could probably never return. Their bones would weaken, as would their bodies generally. One of their reasons for being there would probably be to find out exactly what the long term effects are.

4) Can we put enough people on the moon that cabin fever won't be a problem anymore, and you're not just talking with the same five or six people every day and never seeing anyone else??

Plenty of cultures have gotten by with less, and "cabin fever" has been part of the human condition for millenia. Humanity actually does pretty well in small groups, it is still our default mode of social organization. Larger groups usually form out of a need for protection, or for the extra manpower they can bring to a problem. Electronics would connect them with other people, and psychologists might actually do something useful in making sure people get along. Also, 5-6 is a bit limited to qualify as a colony. A hundred or more would really be needed, otherwise a simple accident could wipe out 20% of your labor force.

5) How would you raise a family on the Moon?

You wouldn't. Your children would probably be raised over a computer link with some teacher on Earth. Or, you would be on the mooon, and your kids would be in school on Earth. In either case, you would be to busy to see them.

6) How would a child who has lived the Moon all her life "go outside and play"?

Its doubtful they would leave the colony, and really "go outside". From the purely logisitical standpoint...kids grow. Spacesuits need to be fitted to the wearer, so unless there are hundreds of these little tykes running about, there simply won't be a suit that will fit. Also, it would be pretty strange to ship a new spacesuit out every year, just for the kid. The kids would probably play much like they do on Earth, in the comfort of their "living room". Outside would consist of leaving their assigned area, and going to an area they don't usually visit, such as the communications center. Most of their time would be spent with other adults, they would probably mentally grow up very fast, and not be regarded as "true kids" back on Earth.

Note: The opinions expressed above are completely those of Ghost who Walks, who has never been to moon, much less lived there. He does however, like to post on strange and wierd topics on occasion.

Re: Life on a Lunar Colony

Originally posted by Michael Hopcroft

If you were to build a lunar colony with available-in-the-present-day technolgoy, hwat would life there be like?

Ben Bova has a great book called Welcome to Moonbase that's basically written like the instruction manual for a newcomer to the moon. Interesting points that he mentions:

- lower gravity is great for geriatric care, so there may be a lot of older people coming to the moon

- you can fly under your own power on the moon. All you need are some light wings (built like a hangglider) Great sporting opportunity.

- Water would be a highly prized commodity.

John M. Ford's book, Growing Up Weightless is also a really interesting book that speculates about life on the moon.

Re: Life on a Lunar Colony

Originally posted by Michael Hopcroft

If you were to build a lunar colony with available-in-the-present-day technolgoy, hwat would life there be like? How can you build things so the colony is not totally dependent on resupply from Earth for survival?

And we try to take one point at a time.

First, in the early days, if it can be done from the ground, it should be done from the ground. I would want telepresence robots to build an infrastructure before the first human settlers arrived.

Biggest problem: the most abundant element in the universe, hydrogen, seems to be lacking or in short supply on the moon. A permanent human settlement would require tons of the stuff.

First step, get cheeper ground to LEO for bulk cargoes that can withstand huge G forces. Railgun makes sense. Fill steel canisteres with liquid Hydrogen, Oxegen, and Nitrogen, and use electromagnets to throw them into LEO at 50 G's.

Railgun could be made with current technology, main opposition is political. A railgun that can throw a payload into LEO could drop a big freaking bomb on any point on the surface of the Earth.

Humans born and raised on the moon would tend to be tall and willowy by Earth standards, the lesser gravity allowing their spines to extend and requiring less muscle mass to simply move around. Not sure what the fluid distribution would be in the body; current astronauts report fluids tend to shift toward the head. As previously stated, they might not be able to return to earth, at least not without a severe workout program first. But they might have the physical advantage on the deep space missions their colony was designed to support, less adjustment and disorientation in weightlessness.

Because of cleanliness issues (dirt doesn't fall to the ground) they might wear hair short or shave all bodily hair entirely -- makes grooming easier and they don't need hair for warmth in their climate-controlled environment. Might have weaker immune systems, fewer germs loose in their purified, heavily filtered atmosphere. If they grew up used to tunnels and tight spaces, some individuals might be intimidated by the vast open vistas of the lunar surface. If they support themselves by hydroponics, they might develop a vegetarian lifestyle as mentioned by others. On the other hand, I can see them raising small animals for meat, using it sparingly as in much Asian cooking.

It would be interesting to speculate on what sort of subculture might develop in such an environment. Living in cramped quarters, would they be all touchy feely or have strict rules about personal space? Since there really is nowhere else to go, how would they handle dissent and hard feelings? It isn't as if they could banish someone, and confinement might be moot since they're all pretty confined anyway. How would they blow off steam? Lunar sports sound fun but would they be allowed since full medical help is days away? After all, what happens if you break your spindly leg playing space rugby? Will it heal properly in low gravity, and who will do your (presumably essential and life-sustaining) work while you're recovering?

Would people actually live permanently on the moon, or would they go in shifts like miners and submarine crews -- six months on the moon, six months on earth? If it's in shifts, they'd be less likely to bring spouses and children.

Ghost Who Walks beat me to the punch and answered the questions pretty much as I would. The base would have to mostly underground with only a few surface structures for landing and resupply. Perhaps a small observation dome as someplace to get 'outside' and see the stars. Being on the moon and lacking an atmosphere, the base would likely contain several observatories with telescopes.

Power would be most likely be supplied by solar arrays, though perhaps a nuclear plant might be used (this would require dependance on earth for supply of fuel).

Effects on the human body are similar to what others said. In addition some thought has to be given to lighting. Depending on the amount of UV light in the lighting system, many of the western people would be very pale and all would require Vitamin D through other means. For that reason lighting may be more of a full spectrum light to better emulate sunlight.

I don't know what elements are readily available on the moon (McCoy seems up on the subject so perhaps he can specify), but mining and refinement would probably be used to for silicon and titanium on the moon. This would allow structures to be built for further space missions. The Lunar Base would probably be used to launch missions further in the Solar System, so manufacturing technologies would be useful so only bulk materials would have to be shipped from earth.

I agree with what has been said by all the other posters.

Re: Re: Life on a Lunar Colony

Originally posted by bcholmes

- you can fly under your own power on the moon. All you need are some light wings (built like a hangglider) Great sporting opportunity.

How did that work?

The moon doesn't have a measurable atmosphere, so what do the wings interact with to generate lift.

Originally posted by BlackSword

Power would be most likely be supplied by solar arrays, though perhaps a nuclear plant might be used (this would require dependance on earth for supply of fuel).

Given that lunar nights last two weeks, I would think that the power source would have to be nuclear.

Originally posted by Hunter

Given that lunar nights last two weeks, I would think that the power source would have to be nuclear.

It all depends on what they are doing. If they are just there doing science/hanging out, like in our space stations, they could get by with solar.

If they are doing mining or industry, they are going to need a beter source of power.

Other Sources: The GURPS Terradyne book has whole sections dedicated to living on the Moon and Mars, btw. The GURPS Transhuman books also have stuff, but they are a little to hi-tech and sterile for poor me.

Re: Re: Life on a Lunar Colony

Originally posted by bcholmes

Ben Bova has a great book called Welcome to Moonbase that's basically written like the instruction manual for a newcomer to the moon. Interesting points that he mentions:

- lower gravity is great for geriatric care, so there may be a lot of older people coming to the moon

Not having read the book, I'd have to dispute that. Anyone who's likely to get theraputic value from the reduced lunar gravity is probably going to have a hard time with the modern technology of getting there.

It will probably be the generation after next of space craft that can get to orbit without pulling more than 2 G's, at the earliest. It would have to fly using aircraft-like technology to the upper atmosphere, and then rely on rockets to get it the rest of the way up, or at least to where it can dock with something, and a low-G burn will be a challenge to make efficient.

Originally posted by BlackSword

One of the more interesting surprises discovered without even going further than orbit, is that if you attatch a tether to a satellite, you get a LOT of voltage running up and down it. Although the moon's magnetic field is much weaker than earths, since it doesn't have a molten core, the lack of atmosphere and reduced gravity would allow a power column of truly impressive height to be built. I have no idea how much power could be generated in such a fashion, but barring a meteorite strike, the power would be both limitless and without interruption. If nothing else, it might be enough to operate a beanstalk long before we have the material science and architectural ability to build one here on Earth (or Mars, which would presumably be an intermediate step in that technology).

Re: Re: Re: Life on a Lunar Colony

Originally posted by Victor

One of the more interesting surprises discovered without even going further than orbit, is that if you attatch a tether to a satellite, you get a LOT of voltage running up and down it. Although the moon's magnetic field is much weaker than earths, since it doesn't have a molten core, the lack of atmosphere and reduced gravity would allow a power column of truly impressive height to be built. I have no idea how much power could be generated in such a fashion, but barring a meteorite strike, the power would be both limitless and without interruption. If nothing else, it might be enough to operate a beanstalk long before we have the material science and architectural ability to build one here on Earth (or Mars, which would presumably be an intermediate step in that technology).

That power source is assuredly not limitless. It's just an oddball generator, converting orbital velocity into electricity with a long conductor moving thru a planetary magnetic field. This idea has been advanced as an emergency power source for spacecraft; using it slows you down and lowers your orbit.

_Colonies in Space_ by T. A. Heppenheimer is way out of date by now (copyright date 1977) and concentrates on space stations, but still has some nice ideas if you can find a copy.

Exercise is probably the best way to reduce bone density loss (speaking as someone at high risk for osteoporosis), but there are medications available as well -- both my aunts are on Fosamax. If a lunar colony is established, that would be a good place for final testing of other osteoporosis medications and treatments.

As far as diet goes, it'll be a long time before the colony grows to a point where they can set up ranching tunnels/domes. However, fish farming would be an option for their protein intake. I seem to recall reading something about lunar soil only needing some extra nutrients added to it for plants to grow, so plant foods shouldn't be a problem (if I'm right, of course).

Re: Re: Re: Re: Life on a Lunar Colony

Originally posted by Tom Carman

That power source is assuredly not limitless. It's just an oddball generator, converting orbital velocity into electricity with a long conductor moving thru a planetary magnetic field. This idea has been advanced as an emergency power source for spacecraft; using it slows you down and lowers your orbit.

Okay... but if the conductor were a beanstalk tower extending from the lunar surface to lunar orbit (presuming it would generate this sort of power at all), the limit would be the point at which the moon stops spinning?

Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Life on a Lunar Colony

Okay... but if the conductor were a beanstalk tower extending from the lunar surface to lunar orbit (presuming it would generate this sort of power at all), the limit would be the point at which the moon stops spinning?

You are not going to affect the moon's rate of spin. A beanstalk extends not just to lunar orbit, but well past it; the outer part has to balance the inner section. THE BEANSTALK IS IN ORBIT, even if the bottom is touching the ground. You don't want to reduce its orbital velocity because it will then "fall over". It's mighty long, too, so a "falling" beanstalk could wrap aound the moon's equator several times.

Lunar Base

First it has to get built.

The most viable way to go about this in my opinion is with robots, like the rovers, except built modular. A small control systems lands, which contains radio contact with earth, a solar power supply and battery, and a bank of modular tools. The rovers, following computer programs, use the control center to recharge batteries and get appropriate tools. The rovers would build a mine system (underground), thusly achieving natural radiation and metora protection. A human mission would follow with door components and spray on sealers. Thousands of lbs of air would then be pumped into it (After checking the seals of course). Thusly the base is built. Missing conviences of home, temperature control, which would be provided by an airflow system to a series of metal plates on the surface (In the sun and in the shade). Large areas of under ground would be pumped with carbon-rich supplements and seeded with edible mushroom spores.

And thats only the beginning.

Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Life on a Lunar Colony

You are not going to affect the moon's rate of spin. A beanstalk extends not just to lunar orbit, but well past it; the outer part has to balance the inner section. THE BEANSTALK IS IN ORBIT, even if the bottom is touching the ground. You don't want to reduce its orbital velocity because it will then "fall over".

Maybe, but I have difficulty believing that it would be enough drag to mkae if fall over if it were anchored securely enough, and built sturdily enough... it would not need to "balance" out past the orbit around the moon that way either. Perhaps the terminology of a "beanstalk" is getting in the way. I'm just talking about a really tall tower.

I'm a doofus.

Originally posted by Fuzzy Gnome

it would crash into the Earth!

No lunar beanstalks in my backyard

My reasoning went like this:

1. The moon turns really slowly.

2. A beanstalk would have to be really long to be in synchronous orbit.

3. Bugrit! Millennium hand and shrimp!

4. Crash into Earth.

After editing out the nonsense with the red felt-tip of rationality, I realized that the Moon not only turns slowly, it also has weak gravity. It balances out. Anyhow, a beanstalk stuck through either of the two closest Lagrange points ought to be stable and not hit the Earth.

But I don't think it would generate much power because the magnetic field is too weak.

Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Life on a Lunar Colony

Maybe, but I have difficulty believing that it would be enough drag to mkae if fall over if it were anchored securely enough, and built sturdily enough... it would not need to "balance" out past the orbit around the moon that way either. Perhaps the terminology of a "beanstalk" is getting in the way. I'm just talking about a really tall tower.

If you want a really really tall tower, so tall that the tip in at lunar synchronous orbit, then it will have to be supported by compression strength. The tower's foundation supports the full weight. I'm not sure there is even a theoretical substance strong enough for this. But if there is, the tower would be mammoth; I'm talking about a tapering structure with a base hundreds if not thousands of kilometers across.

Beanstalks, as we know them, are theoretically possible because they depend on tensile strength instead. The structure is in orbit; the center-of-mass at synchronous orbit, with the portions above and below in balance. The outer end doesn't have to be as long as the lower end, just equally massive; this is why you will see mentions of asteroids as "anchors".

If you start converting the orbital velocity of an orbiting beanstalk into electricity, the strength of its ground anchor is irrelevant. The entire structure will slow down and move to a lower orbit. This lower orbit will no longer be stationary relative to the ground. The lower end will be dragged across the surface of the moon. If you're lucky, the bottom will just break off and rest will continue moving around the moon. Otherwise it will continue to drag and dissipate orbital energy; the structure will continue to move lower and drag the bottom around the moon at an increasing rate of speed.

Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Life on a Lunar Colony

The structure is in orbit; the center-of-mass at synchronous orbit, with the portions above and below in balance. The outer end doesn't have to be as long as the lower end, just equally massive; this is why you will see mentions of asteroids as "anchors".

If the center of mass is in synchronous orbit, the beanstalk will be perfectly in balance. As you say, it would be unstable. Things on the edge of balance usually are.

So what needs to be done is to add weight at the outer end of the beanstalk. The added weight has to be enough to balance the heaviest load that might be added to the bottom part, plus a margin of error. If the power cables in the beanstalk are picking up back EMF from the solar wind or the Earth's magnetic field, weight has to be added to compensate for that, too.

If the beanstalk is being blown back more than normal because of a solar flare or something, the counterweights should be able to move upward on the beanstalk so they don't get pulled into too low an orbit.

Many questions

Since it seems that many of you have a much more solid grasp on the physics of this thing, let me ask you all. Could a lunar colony use solar collecting satellites in orbit and send that energy in the form of Microwaves to the surface?

Can you even keep a satellite in orbit around the Moon? Would it just get sucked into Earth's gravity?

I saw a probe they are sending to Europa on Discovery that can drill into the ice. Could automated Drills shot to the Moon dig the kinds of large tunnel complexes you are talking about here?

No matter the soil's composition, if the Moon has no atmosphere, how could plants grow? Is there Carbon Dioxide on the Moon? Are there plants that require nutrient specific soil & water alone to grow?

Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Life on a Lunar Colony

If you start converting the orbital velocity of an orbiting beanstalk into electricity, the strength of its ground anchor is irrelevant. The entire structure will slow down and move to a lower orbit. [/b]

I'd like to add that a beanstalk actually has to accelerated every time someone uses it to go up, and decelerated every time someone goes down.

Re: Many questions

Originally posted by levi

Since it seems that many of you have a much more solid grasp on the physics of this thing, let me ask you all. Could a lunar colony use solar collecting satellites in orbit and send that energy in the form of Microwaves to the surface?

Yes, but this would result in more energy carried to to surface- Earth would warm up over time. The effect would be the same as for the greenhuse effect (though both phenomena are not directly linked). Rusing sea levels, more storms, etc.

It would be indeed better (safer) for Earth as an ecosystem to gather that solar power in orbit and use it there to run an orbital-based industry that produces needed goods. So no energy loss for Earth, but merely added matter (which Earth experiences anyway every day).