The 'couple-in-denial" sydnrome

This cuts across genre lines, so here it is.

What kind of disadvantage, if any, would it be in character creation when two characters of the opposite sex are attracted to each other, but conceal it from themselves trhough such tactics as criticizing everything the other does, bickering constantly, and teasing each other relentlessly?

The thing is it is patently obvious to everyone except the two people involved that they are a pair who will be together, merrily bickering, for life, and that the right circumstances is the only thing required to transmute their rivalry itno the sort of white-hot passion that reshapes entire lives.

The thing is that no matter how much they bicker, you know each would lay down their lives for the other if there was a serious threat. given a choice between saving the world and saving this person they;ve been figthing with throughout the campaign, it's the other person. No contest.

I think one limitation could be enough. Something like "Secretly in Love With X" or "Weird Love/Hate Thing Going On With X" or "Constantly Bickers With X." The exact name given to the disadvantage wouldn't matter too much as long as it was understood what it meant.

I never liked doing personal relationships as a psych limitation, to limited.

I Use a "Romance" disadvantage instead. Its built like rivalry:

5 basic points

+5 Points if Romance is a PC

+5 Points if Romance is unrequitted

-5 Points if target does not know about romance.

Characters get -2 to skill rolls, if their romance is threatened, and +2 in actions that might actually save them.

Note: I can't remember where I got this from, but I did not think of it. Found it somewhere, had it as an house rule for an age.

The onlky prpoblem with GGW's diea is that it assumes a degree of player omniscience about his campaign thatb as a GM I would not allow. if we could know whether the onesw we loved loved us without asking them, romance wouldbe a lto easier.

I alter this to make Romancce a flat 10 points (because it makes major changes to a character's ofe) and posit that the player doesn;tknow how the other person feels and won;t until they get around to aslking them. Which, dependiog on how much he or she fears rejectuion, could take a very long time.

The A "Argeus with X' gradually becoming the basis for :In love with X" might be a better idea. I'd probably make them Social Limitations rather than Psych Lims, though. Its main effect, after all, is social.

falling in love is usually handled wi\thout disadvanatges entirely in the HERO System in actualy play, so a Disad would onl really be appropriate, now that i think about it, whent he two characers BEGIN the campaign in that situation.So usagi and mamoru would take it (the have a past hoistyr before the campaign starts of baiting each other) but ranma and Akanne wouldn't (although Ranma would has as a Social limitaiton "Has WAY tpop many fiances, none of them of his choosing....)

Re: The 'couple-in-denial" sydnrome

Originally posted by Michael Hopcroft

This cuts across genre lines, so here it is.

What kind of disadvantage, if any, would it be in character creation when two characters of the opposite sex are attracted to each other, but conceal it from themselves trhough such tactics as criticizing everything the other does, bickering constantly, and teasing each other relentlessly?

The thing is it is patently obvious to everyone except the two people involved that they are a pair who will be together, merrily bickering, for life, and that the right circumstances is the only thing required to transmute their rivalry itno the sort of white-hot passion that reshapes entire lives.

The thing is that no matter how much they bicker, you know each would lay down their lives for the other if there was a serious threat. given a choice between saving the world and saving this person they;ve been figthing with throughout the campaign, it's the other person. No contest.

ahh B & B syndrome (Beatrice and Benedick)

Re: Re: The 'couple-in-denial" sydnrome

Originally posted by Rage

ahh B & B syndrome (Beatrice and Benedick)

I hope that means Shakespeare is part of the japanese high school and college cirriculum! Becxause this syndrome is episodemic in anime. There are almost too many examples to list -- Ranma & Akane (Ranma 1/2), Meimi & Asuka Jr.(Kaitou Saint Tail), Lina & Gourry (Slayers), Shinji and Ausuka(Neon Genesisi Evangelion), Hikaru and Misa Hayase(Superdimensional Fortress Macross) and oh so many more....

As with any Disadvantage, Id start off by asking: How is this Disadvantageous to the character?

If it's mostly just flavor, then it isnt a Disadvantage.

So far, this sounds like flavor, so I would be prone to give it nada and handle it as Personality/Motivation.

If it forces the characters behaviour then just build it as a PsyLim as appropriate.

If the characters alternate getting in over their heads and the other bails them out, consider using Dependent NPC (DNPC: 14- (As powerful as the PC; Useful Noncombat Position or Skills); 5 points).

One of the reasons I did it as a seperate disadvantage:

Consider the X-Mena, and the various annoying relationships within.

Clearly there are rivalries there...but they romances don't seem to rise to the level of psych limitations.

As a side not, a "Romance" could touch upon physical, psychological, and social aspects.

Its all in how its played. Also remember the entire heroic genre is to be considered.