Local Color: Darna the Superheroine

KawangaKid

The launch of the Philippine superheroine DARNA's latest comic book took place last weekend. Here's a picture of the model in full costume.

attachment.php?postid=17567

You can find more pics of the event at http://sagingkomiks.bravepages.com/darna/launch.htm

Brief Background:

Very similar to the Billy Batson / Captain Marvel origin. A young girl (about 6) named Narda makes a living singing songs with her younger brother Ding, while their guardian / grandmother mends clothes.

One night, a comet falls to Earth... Narda finds a small stone with the word "Darna" written on it. Curious and intrigued, she takes it home. Along the way, she spies some boys who regularly tease her. Scared that they may take away her stone, she hides it in her mouth. She escapes them, but accidentally swallows the stone.

When she gets home, the pain in her stomach becomes unbearable and she relates the story to Ding and her grandmother. When she mentions the word "Darna", there's an explosion of sorts and in her place stands a tall buxom woman calling her self Darna and claiming she's an Alien from the Planet Marte.

Ding and grandmother, afraid and angry demand to know what happened to Narda. Darna them "transforms" back into Narda to calm their fears.

Her powers are that of a flying brick. Some versions of her do a Kryptonian riff, while others owe a debt to Wonder Woman. Her costume has changed over the years (our own version of Ultraman or Kamen Rider, I guess). She often fights supernatural beings, like her arch-enemy Valentina - the Snake Woman.

Originally posted by MisterVimes

Whoa.. doesn't she get cold in that!?!?!:eek:

I do not think it gets too cold in the Philippines. But as a superheroine, when it does, she just has to brunt it out. Heck, if all those Marvel heroes can survive New York winters in those skimpy costumes, any hero can. :)

Originally posted by Monolith

I do not think it gets too cold in the Philippines. But as a superheroine, when it does, she just has to brunt it out. Heck, if all those Marvel heroes can survive New York winters in those skimpy costumes, any hero can. :)

Goo thing too!

I've got washcloths bigger than that!;)

Getting in?

The year was 1947 when the late Mars Ravelo and illustrator Nestor Redondo created Philippines first comics flying avenger Varga, for Bulaklak comics / magazine.

Varga's battle for good vesus evil didn't last long when her creator uncle Mars decided to end up Varga's crime fighting career.

On April 1950, Mars Ravelo and Nestor Redondo re-launched their beloved comics Superheroine now called "Darna" The mighty warrior from planet Marte, named after the mythological bird Adarna. Darna's first breath-taking adventures was first serialized in the pages of Pilipino comics, pitted againts the sultry snake goddess Valentina. Darna quickly gained popularity among Filipino comic book readers.

On May 1951 Filipino's witnessed the first marvelous flight of Darna, in Fernando Poe Royal films "Darna," starring Manila's golden age movie queen Rosa Del Rosario as Darna and Cristina Aragon as Valentina, while Mila Nimpa portrayed Narda. The movie was a huge box office success.

From then on there was no stopping Darna. Numerous of hit movies and TV shows were made and only portarayed by the Philippines' biggest stars. Endless versions of Darna was also serialized in different comic books.

Originally posted by Acroyear

Hey, KK. Nab me a copy of the relaunch! :) After you described her to me last time, I was including her in my campaign background project (of all this time).

Oh, here's some other info if you guys are interested, too:

http://www.marsravelodarna.com/

Dude! Thanks for that link. "Getting in on the action" my A$$, this character has been around since at least 1950... and she's no less naked then!

This character must be huge... that's quote a few movies and shows.

Wasn't a slam. Just pointing it out in a fun way :)

We had a cool thread on the old boards about heroes from other countries. Not the silly American versions where all mutants from Japan are super ninjas and fire users... but what they create their superheroes as (in Japan, for example, most of them seem to be cyborgs or aliens or to get their power granted to them by such things).

A lot of people were able to name some, but few had any of the more solid info.

I noticed in the first art galary a poster of some other Heroes in the background. Kwanga, could you give us some details? They look really cool. Especially the silver/blue/red guy with the sunburst.

Oh, that's Sandata. He's a newer character from a team known as Sandugo (Of One Blood). That team can be seen in http://www.geocities.com/sanduguan in the art gallery. His costume is based on our Philippine Flag.

Originally posted by Acroyear

Hey, KK. Nab me a copy of the relaunch! :) After you described her to me last time, I was including her in my campaign background project (of all this time).

Sure thing! I just loved the Valentina character. Suddenly, my local version of VIPER became far more interesting... A Cult Classic Nest Leader if I ever saw one...

Originally posted by KawangaKid

Oh, that's Sandata. He's a newer character from a team known as Sandugo (Of One Blood). That team can be seen in http://www.geocities.com/sanduguan in the art gallery. His costume is based on our Philippine Flag.

I assumed that he was a Flagsuit (I looked up the Philippine to make sure).

That's a really good looking site and I completely dig this picture:

Sandugo

Are there any English Language copies of Filippino comics to be had?

Are there any English Language copies of Filippino comics to be had?

Well, there are a number that have come out over the years; not many have reached the U.S. as far as distribution is concerned...

Darna is set to get a limited run out to the U.S. The rest were really indie comics for local distribution.

As for English Language translations of the classic Pinoy (slang term for a filipino) Komiks... sorry, ain't no such animal as far as I know.