Building a Time Lord

Dr. Anomaly

Re: Building a Time Lord

Actually,if I remember the plot of "City Of Death" correctly,the explosion of the Jageroth spaceship created LIFE on Earth.What Scarloth did (after being scattered across Earth's timeline) was mold human history in order to build a time machine in order to prevent the Jageroth spaceship exploding.

And if we assume that the Paul McGannTV movie is in canon,then it's rather odd that it takes a human eye to open the Eye Of Harmony.

I agree. The movie shouldn't be considered canon.
The BBC disagrees -- Paul McGann is the Eighth Doctor' date=' Christopher Eccleston is the Ninth, and David Tennant the Tenth.
As for the term Time Lord, I think not all Gallifreyans are Time Lords, only those who graduate from one of the three academies. I think everyone in the High Council (I forget the correct term) has to be a Time Lord.[/Quote]This is correct. There was a Tom Baker story where The Doctor met a group of nomads on Gallifrey (I forget both the title of the story and the name of the nomads).

No, the BBC doesn't disagree, calling him the eigth doctor looked more like an attempt to gloss over an appalling movie. I doubt the TV series will refer to anything established in that movie at all, ever.

Or should the previous movies be regarded as canon as well? Which Doctor is Peter Cushing? What about Rowan Atkinson?

(Actually - I thought Jonathon Price did a great job at The Master in Curse of the Fatal Death ;-p)

And the nomads were in "Invasion of time" where the Doctor comes back to claim the presidency and get the key of Rassilon. It was Leela's last episode. Lots of running around pump stations or factories, plus some good quotes from Barusa :)

No, the BBC doesn't disagree, calling him the eigth doctor looked more like an attempt to gloss over an appalling movie. I doubt the TV series will refer to anything established in that movie at all, ever.

Or should the previous movies be regarded as canon as well? Which Doctor is Peter Cushing? What about Rowan Atkinson?

(Actually - I thought Jonathon Price did a great job at The Master in Curse of the Fatal Death ;-p)

And the nomads were in "Invasion of time" where the Doctor comes back to claim the presidency and get the key of Rassilon. It was Leela's last episode. Lots of running around pump stations or factories, plus some good quotes from Barusa :)

That being said, I have no problem with Paul being a Doctor - he was a good Doctor, especially in any Big Finish story. It's just a shame that the writers for the movie he was in were complete dren. So just ignore everything he does or says in the movie, but go by the radio dramas.

No, just Paul McGann. The Cushing movies were based on Hartnell episodes.

No' date=' just Paul McGann. The Cushing movies were based on Hartnell episodes.[/quote']

My reason for calling the Paul McGann Doctor Who movie non-canon is simply that the scenes in the cloisters violated the series cannon. In the movie, the Eye of Harmony was in the cloisters while in the series, it's on Gallifrey, under the Panoptican, and the Cloister Bell, which sounds when time itself is being destroyed, in in the cloister.

Hmm, joined the boards after hearing that you all were argueing over which Doctor was which. :rolleyes: However I now see that it is a discussion on one of my favorite subjects. :hail: Hope you all don't mind my joining in. :)

Oh and just to show you that I DO know my Doctors...

William Harnell

Patrick Troughton

Jon Pertwee

Tom Baker (My Favorite)

Peter Davidson

Colin Baker

Sylvester McCoy

Paul McGann (Movie) :cry:

Didn't know about the Doctor between McGann and Chris E... But we are now getting the new Doctor Who episodes on cable here in the states and I am GEEKED. :rockon:

Hmm' date=' joined the boards after hearing that you all were argueing over which Doctor was which. :rolleyes: However I now see that it is a discussion on one of my favorite subjects. :hail: Hope you all don't mind my joining in. :)[/quote']

No! Go away!

;) Just kidding, of course. Welcome aboard!

Didn't know about the Doctor between McGann and Chris E... But we are now getting the new Doctor Who episodes on cable here in the states and I am GEEKED. :rockon:
There is no Doctor between McGann and Eccleston -- the regeneration from the former to the latter occurred during the "non-televised" period, as did the destruction of Gallifrey.

And now we're going to have Tennant, when the new season comes in....

Oh, and as for the episodes on cable.... WHICH CHANNEL?????? :)

Argh! I told you people to beware of spoilers! Now you've spoilt tkdguy.

Anyhow, quantum entanglement seems to me to be the longest reach in trying to justify the movie, I have EVER heard. Hmm, I should give you Rep points for playing music on the Titanic for that one :)

I personally don't mind spoilers, although others do. I'm interested in what happened to Gallifrey. Since we know Gallifrey was destroyed, I suppose you can post it here. Or PM me if you think people will still want to be surprised.

Gallifrey was destroyed? How did that happen? I am so out of the loop!
All I know about it is that somewhere in one of the first couple of episodes of the new series The Doctor makes reference to his homeworld being destroyed and being the last of his kind. The story behind this was published somehow, but I'm not sure of the format, location, or story title.

Look at the last bit of dialogue here for my first clue.

[sigh] Okay, if spoilers are wanted...

Gallifrey may still exist. Gallifreyans do not (except for one). It's briefly mentioned in the second episode that The Doctor is the last of his kind. In the sixth episode "Dalek", they mention the last, great Time War, in which both the Daleks and the Time Lords were wiped out, except for one of each...

Not mentioned.

Bare in mind - this is a new Doctor for a new young audience, most of whom have not seen the previous Doctors. Therefore it isn't self-referential. Any data that isn't up-front will be revealed as the series progresses.

But so far, it isn't looking good that there may be future guest appearances of other Time Lords...

There are occasional referneces to the past, such as the head of a Troughton-era Cyberman that the Doctor finds in a museum.

The Cybermen would actually be good opponets for the new-era Doctor, actually. They might not have been directly involved in the Time War, or could have deliberately sat it out, and thus could easily be a viable force in the post-Time War universe.

Of course, the biggest element of speculation for fans of the new series, at least for this season, is the omnipresent references to something known as "Bad Wolf". it shows up in all kinds of places, from graffiti in contemporary London to the code name of a villain's helicopter to a commonly-noted theoretical "scenario" that is known int he far future. Someone looking into Rose's mind even calimed to see "the big bad wolf". And "Bad Wolf" will be the tirle of the second-to-last Christopher Eccleston episode. Russel Davies is doing a fine job of foreshadowing.

And although I haven't seen it yet, the latest episode ("Father's Day") is apparently going to deal with a variation on the classic Grandfather Paradox that counfounds logicans and conveinces them that time travel is impossible. It is apparently going to extremely traumstic for Rose.

Finally, i saw the new Dalek episode yesterday. Utterly fantastic Who, that was. The Doctor suddenyl finds himself confronting his personal demons both literally and figuratively as he faced a Dalek who is trapped not only in time but by its own nature. When it tells him "You would have made a good Dalek", the Doctor looks as if someone had just put a bullet in his stomach. And there is a great human villain too, who i sincerely hope escpaes his fate so that we can see him again. (I can just see it -- "I lost everything I had and everything I am -- because of you, Doctor. You thought I was just some rich man, didn't you? Well, let me show you what I can really do with only human inginuity...)

I didn't see a reply to my earlier asking... WHAT CHANNEL???

The "I could tell you how I got it, but then I'd have to shoot you" channel.

Seriously, there is a rumor that the new series is being picked up by HBO. I don't think that's been confirmed, though. And it has been airing in Canada on the CBC.