Review of 5e up on RPG.net

Almafeta

Guest Keneton
Originally posted by archer

My point was, she wasn't reviewing the genre or setting books. She was reviewing Hero 5th. When reviewing one book, one typically doesn't review other books in the same review. One especially doesn't tend to point out positive qualities of even other books related to a book one is bashing.

What you are saying is akin to saying in a review of The pLayers Handbook, "the rules provide no information for how to be a dungeonmaster".

:)

• Replies 109
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Guest Keneton

I thought it be best to point all of this out in context as well Archer. You are defending the position that She/He is only reviewing Hero 5th Edition. I quote what she/he really wrote to make my point crystal clear.

"What Hero Is About: Hero is the settingless version of Champions, a superhero combat wargame."

The reviewer specifivcally mentions Hero in broad and Champions specifically. Any special protection you wish to afford her/him of talking specifically about this rulebook is your imagenation. His/her text speaks for itself.

Further why review a WARGAME on an RPG site?

By this failed logic isnt The Players Handbook a settingless vesrion of The Forgotten Realms? or The GURPS rulebook a settingless version of GURPS Horror, or Rolemaster a settingless version of HARN?

There is a connotatative differance here, and a denotative one as well.

:)

• 2 months later...

Re: My review of the review, posted on RPG.net

--------------------------------------------

Caveat #2: Many actions you perform or situations you are in halve your DCV. What happens when you have your DCV is halved twice? Is it reduced to zero? Is it quartered? Does the halving only last for that segment, until the next segment, until the next turn, what? If these questions were answered in the book, I couldn't find it.

--------------------------------------------

Probable oversight. In a book as huge as Hero, some errata are bound to occur.

Sidekick says repeatedly "You can only halve DCV once". Among other stuff that gets halved, I think.

Laz

Re: Review of 5e up on RPG.net

You'll pardon me if I'm not up to speed on the technicalities of review types?

There's two types: capsule for reviewing the game theory, and the book as a book, and playtest for reviewing the game as a game.

Capsules are more useful to me, as I normally buy the books for the theory and the book... my group isn't too adventurous (fortunately, I've convinced some of them to try HERO out :P)

Laz