Review of 5e up on RPG.net

Almafeta

• Replies 109
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

You're certainly entitled to an opinion. I just wish you had been more fact-based. There are many inaccurcies and misrepresentations in your review, mostly on points of creation rules or combat. It felt more like an essay about "Why I don't like the Hero System".

I don't want to refute your claims point-by-point. It would take too much time and do no good. Anyone who plays Hero knows where you have misrepresented them, and anyone who is not familiar with the system would find the terminology obscure.

You don't like Hero? Fine. More power to you and I hope you enjoy the games you do play. But this was not a review. It was an attack, designed to provoke. You may see your actions differently, but that's how they appear to observers.

Keith "My opinion" Curtis

From the review, out oif context, and with my comments following:

Caveat #1: Succor was added so that characters from Hero 4 with Aid could be easily 'grandfathered in' (5 points, costs END, both of which were changed in Hero 5). As well has having a stupid name, doesn't that defeat the entire purpose of fixing Aid?

MY COMMENT: Actually, Succor costs END every phase the enhancement remained. Aid cost END only once, when adding stats, in 4e. So no, it does not defeat the entire purpose, it provides an added option. I seem to recall a version of Succor somewhere in 4e rules, but the exact location escapes me.

Caveat #2: For being an effect-based system, not every power is based on an effect. For example, to build a portable hole, you have to buy Extra-Dimensional Movement... which is also the power you buy to travel through time.

MY COMMENT: This is a subjective determination. Time is a dimension. The extradimensional space (from the writeups of the item) accessed by a portable hole is in a different dimension.

Caveat #3: Yes, you still need to know precalculus to do the math in this section. Why not switch to a simpler algebra equation, I don't know; not to mention the fact that a system based on multiples of 5 is virtually screaming for a simple percentile system.

MY COMMENT: I've never seen anyone bright enough to read the book who wasn't capable of working the math after someone sat down with him for a few minutes to provide some example computations.

Caveat #4: It costs more to make a power AVLD (reducing a normal defense) than to make it NND (unable to be defended against). WTY?

MY COMMENT: Because it should cost less for an attack which is porevented absiolutely by having any level of (say) Power Defense than having one whose damage is simply reduced by the amount of that same Power Defense?

Caveat #5: A ranged Killing attack costs as much as a melee Killing attack; there is no difference other than one reaches 75 tiles away per level.

MY COMMENT: Actually, the Hand to Hand killing attack is increased by the user's strength, where the ranged killing attack is not. This is, to me, a pretty significant advantage. I suppose we could fold "Killing Attack" into one power that has no range, does not increase for strength, costs 10 points per die and can have those advantages added later. But why?

Caveat #6: The system only works well for 'flashy', innate powers; it gets less and less usable the further from four-color you get. For example, an effect like 'warm up this room' cannot be built in Hero, because there is no point cost for 70 degrees Farenheit -- you'd have to make it a special effect of a 'real' power, i.e., one that has some kind of combat effect. Good luck writing your own rules if you want Hero to do something that is not an 'innate' feature (such as a divine blessing or D&D-style magic).

MY COMMENT: Actually, the bility you describe would be a Change Environment with no combat penalties, which is contrary to your assessment of Change Environment. As for applying it to the fantasy genre, well, you may want to look at the Fantasy Hero line.

For example, a dagger costs 10 character points; you could buy a Masters in english for fewer points. It is suggested in a few places that there is an option for 'heroic' campaigns to not have to pay points for gear; however, how gear exactly is purchased if not with character points is not explained. As this has not been fixed, a point was taken off of Substance

MY COMMENT: Actually, it's explained as requiring money (much like in D&D, one pays for equipment). Which equipment is available and how much it costs depends on the genre, however, making it impossible to cover in a rules book rather than a genre book. [And before we get on "how many books does it take to get the game rules down", you need at least three to play D&D, and many more to get all the options]

Combat is still based on tactical superhero combat; real-world measurements are eschewed in Hero, replaced by wholly abstract units of measurement.

MY COMMENT: A Turn is defined as 12 seconds, a segment as 1 second, and 1" as 2 meters. What definitions were you looking for?

If these questions were answered in the book, I couldn't find it.

MY COMMENT: Yes, I'd noticed you seem to have some problems in that regard. :rolleyes: In fairness, it is a very big book and, as a rules book only, doesn't have a lot of fluff which can safely be skipped over.

Many times, you are told to "Roll Xd6 and figure the 'body'". This refers to an obscure section of the combat chapter. Please name this mechanic, if you are going to use it so often!

MY COMMENT: It is called "figuring the Body". Like many game mechanics, it's one that seems complex on paper and rapidly becomes second nature in play.

"Although some good documents for Hero have been put on online here (link would go to http://www.herogames.com/FreeStuff/freedocs/HSGBG%20Final.pdf but these forums don't allow for HTML code) that tells you how to use the system in different genres, they haven't put any of these in the core rulebook. Come on, Hero Games -- couldn't you have fit these in -somewhere-?"

MY COMMENT: And this gels with your comments about the length of the book how, precisely? D&D has a book for players' rules, one for DM's rules and one for creature stats since it provides no basis for designing balanced creatures on your own. Hero provides one book of rules, and publishes genre books for specific genres. I find it hard to view one as superior to the other.

MY FINAL COMMENT: I encurage Hero supporters to read some of the feedback to this "review". However poorly Almafeta reviewed Hero, it still scores way better (even on her scale) than her review scores with her peers!

[Don't bother reading the review though; Killer Shrike sums it up quite nicely]

I read the first couple of sentances, where the Reviewer talked about being Flamed by the Current and Past ownership of the company.

Right there, that tells you This is NOT going to be objective by anybody's stretch of the imagination.

Second Paragraph, "settingless version of Champions, a superhero combat wargame"

Noooo. No bias here.

I started skimming from there.

It vaguely attempts to pretend to be a review, but it's obvious that the person disliked Hero, bought the book and "didn't see anything to change his mind". It's chock full of errors in what the rules actually say.

She obviously didn't read it. She obviously didn't play it. And she obviously just wanted to do a hack job.

Obviously, a fool with an axe to grind. Obviously not worth my time anymore.

D

Originally posted by misterdeath

I read the first couple of sentances, where the Reviewer talked about being Flamed by the Current and Past ownership of the company.

I read through the entire thing, then read the tagline from the main page and solidified the bias:

If you already own Hero 3/4, read this line and move on to the next review: Steve Long's houserules have become canon.

The epilogue of the review I don't understand (well, an additional part I don't understand):

This book was not written with people who dislike Hero in mind; many of the same problems are still extant.

This would be like complaining that Werewolf:tA Revised Edition is a failure because if you don't like Storyteller games, you won't like this book. Basically, people like different systems, if you like Hero, then buy Hero, if you don't like Hero, don't buy Hero. If there was one perfect system for role-playing, then there would be a single system.

The delicious irony here is that Almafeta bought a copy of a $40 game system he knew he was going to hate before he bought it simply so he could write a hatchet job about it. Does that indicate he's stupid or just nuts?

And I'm really glad he dislikes HERO. That means I'll never be in danger of role-playing with him. :rolleyes:

What a hokey reveiw! I can't imagine why someone would waste enough time to post a review just so they could show their contempt for a game and it's designers. And he kind of makes up stuff as he goes along! Either that or he hadn't read the rules at all. This individual is getting slammed up and down the "Forums" section of the review. Rightly so.If I were to review D&D 3.0-3.5 or a WoD game (2 systems I don't like) I would make sure I had read everything and played a session before doing so,even mentioning the system's GOOD POINTS since every game has at least one.

:rolleyes:

There's a long list of Almafeta's posts on RPG.net involving his/her nutty rants against Hero. No need to refute here -- some of the Heroboards folks have been fighting the good fight over there for over a year, now.

I was kind of hoping his/her Hero-trolling would stop after he/she decided to abandon the internet forever due to some misunderstanding about Linux. Or something like that. Alas, no.

I hear you, Lightray. Nutty rants like his/hers is what keeps me from posting with any regularity on those boards (and since I don't play Exalted half of the threads are useless to me anyway).Points off for mondo breasts? What game doesn't have artwork with well-endowed women? A sore spot for the transgendered, I guess.

Originally posted by Lord Liaden

The first time I saw Shanya Almafeta's name as a registered member here, I thought, "What is (s)he doing here? Shanya's dislike for HERO is obvious to anyone who frequents the RPGnet boards.

Wow. I was about to mention the same thing. Not to mention, the sole post Alma's made has been to pimp this sucky review. :)

I second the kudos to the HERO team for not banning Alma outright. I'd do it in a second.

(Not that I don't sometimes enjoy what Alma posts on RPG.net; but when it comes to certain topics, you need to just slap some duct tape over his mouth.)

Upon reflection, there's one thing I want to clear up: the comment about needing pre-Calculus where simple algebra would do. Hero system is simple algebra. There is no pre-Calculus anywhere.

Calculus:

The branch of mathematics that deals with limits and the differentiation and integration of functions of one or more variables.

Algebra:

A branch of mathematics in which symbols, usually letters of the alphabet, represent numbers or members of a specified set and are used to represent quantities and to express general relationships that hold for all members of the set.

Hero barely qualifies as even algebra. It is simple arithmetic. All you need to know are the four basic functions and the order of operations. You learn this in Elementary school.

Keith "you don't even need a calculator*" Curtis

*but it couldn't hurt :)

My review of the review, posted on RPG.net

I'm going to tear this one apart.

--------------------------------------------

What Hero Is About: Hero is the settingless version of Champions, a superhero combat wargame.

Incorrect. Hero is a universal system based on Champions, a superhero roleplaying game.

Hero uses eight primary stats: Strength, Dexterity, Constitution, Body, Intelligence, Ego, Presence, and Comliness. These are priced oddly; anywhere from half of a point (Comliness) to three points (Dexterity) per +1. Generally, although the physical stats usually give you something every 'plus' you buy, you need to buy at least three points of a mental stat before it has any effect on characters in play. Characters can also now 'sell down' stats, to represent a flawed hero -- something that has long been needed.

Characters could always sell down stats, at least as far back as 3rd edition Champions. Minor inaccuracy: if you buy 1 point of EGO you hit an Ego Combat Value breakpoint.

Caveat #1: Since the stats can now be sold down, they added in mechanics to penalize those with low (below 0) and very low (below 30) stats (there is no lower limit, and stats do not count against disadvantage limits). Which was needed, surely -- but Comliness breaks this. First, you have to pay to have a negative Comliness -- and then you have to make willpower rolls to even move around because you're so very ugly!

This was not a reaction to the ability to sell down stats. The rules for stats below zero first appeared in third edition, officially disappeared in fourth edition, unofficially reappeared in fourth edition as optional rules, and have officially reappeared in fifth edition.

Caveat #3: There's still a Comliness stat in Hero at all.

So? In most other games I've seen that have a mechanic to represent looks, it may as well be a stat.

Skills cost a certain amount of points for a base roll of 11 (plus attribute modifiers, excluding certain skills), and then another certain amount of points for a +1 to the roll; each skill is a rule of its own, and requires you to look it up on a table seperately (shades of Palladium!). You also have to buy 'familiarities' for many skill, a boring but acceptable part of character creation.

Incorrect. Most non-background skills cost 3 points for a base 9 + stat/5 roll, +1 for 2 points. Background skills cost 2 points for a base roll of 11, +1 for 1 point.

Caveat #1: Combat Skill Levels. They aren't skills, and they don't always come in levels.

I'm not sure what you mean by "[t]hey aren't skills". They have been skills since as far back as third edition Champions. If what you mean is "They don't work according to the same mechanic as the roll X or less skills" then I'd agree. And I have no idea what you meant by "they don't always come in levels."

Caveat #2: Overall Skill Levels. As well as penalizing characters who buy heavily-skilled characters,

WTF?

every turn, you can trade them in for 'combat skill levels'. How, exactly, do we do this? Do we trade OSLs for CSLs on a one-for-one basis, or is it point based? How this was done wasn't explained.

Trading? News to me. Every phase you decide how to allocate your levels. It's pretty straightforwardly explained in the rules (page 38 for Combat Skill Leves and page 49 for Skill Levels).

Caveat #3: At first glance, it looked like they simplified the skill ssytem. They didn't.

For various values of "didn't". All of the non-background skills were assigned a stat. Third edition had many skills that were a flat 11-, fourth edition kept some of those, and fifth made them stat-based, costing 3 points for a base 9 + stat/5 roll, +1 for 2 points. All background skills are 2 points for a base 11 or less roll, +1 for 1 point.

Talents are the Feats of the Hero System; they're binary abilities you either have or you don't. In an interesting change, all Talents are now bought as Powers; although the costs are now consistent with those of normal 'powers', some of them had to be horribly contrived to fit in Hero's power structure ('Eidetic Memory' as Clairsentience?).

The most I can say here is that I might have done some of the Talents differently.

Caveat #1: If Talents were built this way, why weren't Skill Enhancers also built this way?

Skill Enhancers are not Talents.

Caveat #2: Because of the way they priced it, Eidetic Memory is now only 5 points, not 10. Poor move; its price needed to be increased, not decreased, due to its utility.

What utility is that? It doesn't provide a whole lot of game mechanical effect.

The most notable changes to powers in this edition were to Aid and Healing (doubling the cost), Change Environment (which does not actually change the environment anymore; rather, it inflicts combat penalties on an area),

The description of Change Environment would tend to disagree with you, especially the first paragraph.

and to senses and sense-affecting powers (they now operate by sense group instead of by sense, a rule I had been using in my own Fuzion games).

Present since fourth edition (original publication date 1989).

The biggest addition to the rules (no pun intended) is Megascale; Hero can now build Rifts-scale powers now. Good for campaign creativity, bad for balance; you can now fairly easily build a killing attack that has a 'megascale explosion' miles wide cheaper than you can build a guaranteed knockout punch. This section needed much more testing before being incorporated.

Agreed.

Some powers were merged in this edition. For example, Regeneration is now part of Healing (costs 0 END, is automatic, and affects the character only). That's a good thing.

I'd rather it was done differently.

However, why stop there? Since Absorb doesn't actually absorb damage, isn't it just an Aid with a Trigger?

More or less.

Shapeshift only affects your form as percieved by others, and does not actually change you -- well then, isn't that Images with Self Only?

I never agreed with the Shapeshift changes myself, and they require some contorted explanations (Shapeshift vs. Touch is used to change your physical form, for example).

Isn't Mind Link just Telepathy with a few extra bells and whistles already simulated by extant modifiers? I could go on.

Not quite.

Major problem: Unfortunately, Elemental Control was retained in Hero 5. Although it is now more difficult to determine the cost (a needed change),

???

the cost benefits are now as large or larger as they were in previous editions of Hero. (The examples given in the book granted 75 and 100 points free for a drawback that would normally be worth 5 or 10 points, easily making any character with those powers the most powerful in their game.)

I'm not sure what you mean here. The way Drain and Suppress affect Elemental Controls is pretty huge.

Caveat #1: Succor was added so that characters from Hero 4 with Aid could be easily 'grandfathered in' (5 points, costs END, both of which were changed in Hero 5). As well has having a stupid name, doesn't that defeat the entire purpose of fixing Aid?

I have no idea where you got this from, except that the section on "Grandfathering Aid" is right next to the paragraph on Succor.

Caveat #3: Yes, you still need to know precalculus to do the math in this section. Why not switch to a simpler algebra equation, I don't know; not to mention the fact that a system based on multiples of 5 is virtually screaming for a simple percentile system.

Incorrect. Completely incorrect. All Hero System math is arithmetic. By the time I finished sixth grade I knew enough math to handle the Hero System. There are valid criticisms about Hero System's math; this is not one of them.

Caveat #5: A ranged Killing attack costs as much as a melee Killing attack; there is no difference other than one reaches 75 tiles away per level.

Not true. A character's Strength adds to a Hand-to-hand Killing Attack.

Caveat #6: The system only works well for 'flashy', innate powers; it gets less and less usable the further from four-color you get. For example, an effect like 'warm up this room' cannot be built in Hero, because there is no point cost for 70 degrees Farenheit -- you'd have to make it a special effect of a 'real' power, i.e., one that has some kind of combat effect.

Missed the "+/- one Temperature Level" part, did you?

Good luck writing your own rules if you want Hero to do something that is not an 'innate' feature (such as a divine blessing or D&D-style magic).

In other words, you have to add rules if you want the game to do something for which it does not include rules. I thought that was true about every game.

Hero 5 makes the simplifying (and incorrect) assumption that something that is balanced for players is also balanced for Ferraris, buildings, and computers. For example, a dagger costs 10 character points; you could buy a Masters in english for fewer points. It is suggested in a few places that there is an option for 'heroic' campaigns to not have to pay points for gear; however, how gear exactly is purchased if not with character points is not explained. As this has not been fixed, a point was taken off of Substance.

There's this thing they call "money". Perhaps you've heard of it?

Combat is still based on tactical superhero combat; real-world measurements are eschewed in Hero, replaced by wholly abstract units of measurement.

Utterly and completely incorrect. One hex equals two meters. One Segment equals one second. In the universe I come from, meters and seconds are real-world measurements.

You get so many phases to spend per turn, based on your Speed (which is underpriced; expect to see all types of characters approching the maximum in every genre of game),

And look at the thousands and thousands of characters out there whose Speeds *don't* approach the maximum.

Caveat #1: Presence Attacks are still resolved like an energy blast. Even my copies ATB and CP2020 have shunned Hero now.

WTF? Energy Blast is resolved by rolling to hit (11 + OCV - DCV). If you hit you roll the damage, the target reduces it by his defenses and takes the remainder. Presence attacks are resolved by rolling 1d6 per 5 points of Presence, adding or subtracting dice for roleplaying and situational modifiers, and comparing the total to the target's Presence. I guess that one is "like" the other for wildly varying values of "like".

Caveat #2: Many actions you perform or situations you are in halve your DCV. What happens when you have your DCV is halved twice? Is it reduced to zero? Is it quartered? Does the halving only last for that segment, until the next segment, until the next turn, what? If these questions were answered in the book, I couldn't find it.

Probable oversight. In a book as huge as Hero, some errata are bound to occur.

Many times, you are told to "Roll Xd6 and figure the 'body'". This refers to an obscure section of the combat chapter. Please name this mechanic, if you are going to use it so often!

It has a name. It's called "count the BODY". Attacks that use this method are called "normal attacks"; this damage is called "normal damage".

The art is so-so. It is heavily biased towards superheroes, as suits the game's genre; some of the pieces of art are bad or inappropriate to their section (like the pyrotechnic on page 181, the nerd on page 195, or the unexplained... somethings... on page 345), while some pieces are excellent (the art piece on page 347, while simple, may be the best piece of art I've ever seen in a RPG).

I can't tell if this last bit is irony or not.

I thought I was still a little shaky on HERO System's mechanics, but Shanya Almafeta makes me look like a HERO System expert! Right from his very first 'caveat':

First, you have to pay to have a negative Comliness -- and then you have to make willpower rolls to even move around because you're so very ugly!

Did he just make this up, or did he genuinely confuse a penalty to social interaction for a penalty to movement? If the latter, I'm staggered at his lack of ability to understand straightforward English instructions...

Things barely got better from there.

You know things are bad when Archer and Rod Currie trash the hell out of you...

"I guess that one is "like" the other for wildly varying values of "like"."

"Shayna, I see your grasp of the English language is as thorough and accurate as your grasp of the Hero System."

LOL.

I shouldn't laugh, but...

D

Oh, dear. The flames are warming up...

Really: Go to RPG.net, and do a search for his/her posts on Hero. You'll see the same point. by. point. refutation of his/her opinions. Many times.

Not something to get worked up over. Marvel at incomprehensible thought processes, yes. But not worth annoyance.

... And while we're using he/she or (s)he, I don't think Almafeta's really transgendered-identified. More like a furry. I think. It's complicated, or confusing. Something else not worth the time to think about.

On topics where he/she does not flog his/her oddly-acquired viewpoints, though, Almafeta is usually worth the read. So I don't Ignore List; just don't read Hero- and certain other subject diatribes from him/her.

Originally posted by Lightray

Really: Go to RPG.net, and do a search for his/her posts on Hero. You'll see the same point. by. point. refutation of his/her opinions. Many times.

As for my point... and I appreciate your comment is not necessarily directed at me... saying that negative Comliness affects movement isn't an "opinion" it's a product of his imagination - which granted is what RPGs are all about but NOT LIKE THAT!!! :D

I actually feel sorry for this person. Seriously. I mean, how empty is your life and how desperate are you for attention when you have nothing better to do than:

• Going to the trouble of buying a book for a game you don't play
  • "Reading" it (in some way)
  • Writing a scathing "review" of it
  • Going to the web site for the company that publishes it and joining their community forum
  • Drawing the attention of those who do enjoy the game, knowing in advance that they will (understandbly) mock you

That's genuinely pathetic. I honestly have pity for this person. They've taken many hours out of their life, all so they can be abused rather than ignored. I fervently hope I never get to a place where my life is so devoid of positive reinforcement, that I would seek out scorn in place of indifference... where my life is so empty of enjoyment that the best thing I can think of to do is obsess over games I dislike.

It's actually very sad. :(