Foulable?

GrimJesta

I dont play 5th, so I still dont know what Restrainable means. But yea, my bad, I meant limitation. I posted that entirely too late at night for coherent writing. But the only Hero books I have for 4th is the BBB, the regular Hero book w/o the Champions stuff (I like having two of every core book) and the Fantasy Hero stuff. And it never says what Foulable means, only that its a -1 lim.

ARGH!

-=Grim=-

Most of the time that I've seen "Foulable" in the 4E and earlier books, it's rated as -1/2, but there could certainly be some variation. "Restrainable" is -1/2 in 5E, and that's essentially the same thing.

Anyway, what it means is that the source of the Power requires free movement of a body part or device in order to function, and if it's immobilized by a Grab or Entangle the Power can't be used. In the case of Flight defined as wings for example, if someone can seize the wings or throw a net over them so that they can't flap, the character can no longer fly. Another example is a character who can project blasts of energy from his hands, but has to have them free to do this - if his hands are pinned he can't fire until he can free them.

There is some similarity between this Limitation and Gestures, but Gestures has more variations and implies some degree of unusualness in what a character is doing that would be noted by an observer.

I also usually rule that things like tar would also prevent the use of foulable/restrainable powers. Even though you are not actually pinned, the power will be useless until you can wipe all the goo off.

I've seen flintlock pistols bought this way to reflect how much more vulnerable they were to the environment than modern semi-automatics.

specifically a power has an OAF limitation worth -1 if a grab maneuver in combat can take the item away.

for some things such as wings a grab maneuver can prevent the power from being used but not actually take the item away. This is "restrainable" -1/2

so "restrainable" means "obvious accessible but not take-awayable focus"

Just to add my voice to everyone else's, Angel's Flight (due to his wings) is Foulable/Restrainable. If you grab Angel's wings he cannot fly away. Superman's Flight, without the Limitation, means that he can fly up even if someone is holding him. His Flight is not "foulable" in any fashion.