Regeneration that starts slowly?

Demonsong

Regeneration that starts slowly?

Normal regeneration has an extra time limitation of -1 X BODY per turn. This can be mover down on the time chart at -1/4 per step. But what about Regeneration that just takes a while to get started. Say 20 minutes after the wound was received then normal regeneration starts. So you would you add another disadvantage of -1 ¼ Extra Time to start?

Slow Starting Regeneration

1 Body per turn, regrow limbs and organs

+1/2 END = 0

+1/2 Persistent

-1/2 Self only

-1 Extra Time 1 Body per turn

-1 ¼ Extra time to start 20 minutes after wound(damage) is received.

15 X 2 = 30 points active

30 / 3.75 = 8 points real cost

It looks right to me. But I just wanted to check. Thanks

Demonsong

I think that would be double dipping, getting the extra time twice. If it starts after 20 minutes but has a per turn regen afterwards, the total regen will finish before 1 hour. That implies that the limitation is less limiting than 1 body per 20 minutes, since it would most likely take more than 1 hour to finish regenerating.

I would probably guesstimate how much time a "typical" regen would take, and then assign the closest equivalent extra time. In your example, It would probably take about 21-25 minutes for a complete max regen, so that's about 1 body/minute. Total -1.5 limitation, and extra time is taken only once.

Well, when using Gestures, you get a certain level of Limitation if you have Use Gestures Throughout, or half of that if it's Gestrues Only To Start.

Perhaps you can do the same thing for a Power with a long initial onset time, but then works every x amount of time after that. Take Regeneration for example:

Say you want an 'onset' time of 1 hour (-1 1/2) and then it works as normal (every post-12) after that. Apply half of that Limitation (-3/4) to the Power. Now it takes an hour to start, but then works as usual every post-12, thus becoming:

Slow Starting Regeneration

1 Body per turn, regrow limbs and organs

+1/2 END = 0

+1/2 Persistent

-1/2 Self only

-1 Extra Time 1 Body per turn

-3/4 Extra time to start 1 hour after wound(damage) is received.

Of course you can adjust the Extra Time to Start to fit your own needs; I used 1 hour in my example because that's long enough to be significant and the Limitation for 1 hour splits cleanly in half.

How about that?

I think that would be double dipping, getting the extra time twice.

That’s why I posted it in the 1st place. It kind of felt wrong :)

The way it’s worked out now what just an example. But let’s go with that. We will also say the we are talking about a character with a body of 20.

As written the power will do nothing for 20 minutes then it can max heal him all 20 body in 4 minutes.

Or just one -1 ¼ extra time 1 body per minute total healing in 20 minutes and have the possibility of it effecting any long combat. But it cost 4 points more.

Hummmmm…………

And what about an extreme example.

1 BODY per turn, Regrow limbs and organs, resurrection

+1/2 END = 0

+1/2 Persistent

-1/2 Self Only

-1 Extra Time 1 turn

-3 1/4 Extra Time to start 6 Hours

30 X 2 = 70 active points

70 / 5.75 = 12 real points

I think my head hurts…..

Originally posted by Gary

Dr. A, one hour is normally a -3 limitation. Half of that is -1 1/2. Just being picky. :P

Gary,

1) You're right; I was attempting to work off memory and not getting it right, and

2) I was starting down the Time Chart from post-12 instead of from "instantly" -- I didn't think it would be right to start counting from anywhere else, as the Power doesn't get any quicker than that.

Sorry, I should have explained that in my post. That's what I get for working just out of my head and not putting down all the thought processes. :)

Let's see: Every 20 min is a -2, right? And "Once a Turn" is a -1 1/4? Don't remember and don't feel like looking them up. The exact values aren't important. The thing to do is just pick a value in between based on overall utility. In this case (if I got the Lims right), just call it a -1 1/2 and press on with the game.

Remember that often looking for a complex solution that may be more "technically correct" won't really make any difference. As long as the AP and RP are about right, it should be OK. Don't overcomplicate things for no good reason.

Originally posted by Arthur

Let's see: Every 20 min is a -2, right? And "Once a Turn" is a -1 1/4? Don't remember and don't feel like looking them up. The exact values aren't important. The thing to do is just pick a value in between based on overall utility. In this case (if I got the Lims right), just call it a -1 1/2 and press on with the game.

Remember that often looking for a complex solution that may be more "technically correct" won't really make any difference. As long as the AP and RP are about right, it should be OK. Don't overcomplicate things for no good reason.

Actually, I think the above may be the most technically correct approach. I don't have the book in front of me either, so let's assume your limitations are correct.

By the book, a power that takes extra time to activate, but after that works normally (ie no extra time to use again) uses 1/2 the extra time limitation. It would seem reasonable to say the power takes the -1 1/4 "once per turn" limit, then gets half of the 3/4 difference between once a turn and every 20 minutes for the extra activation time. Since rounding is always in the character's favour, the limit "Takes 20 minutes to activate, then acts every turn" would be worth - 1 3/4.

Cost Power END
6 Rapid Healing: Healing (Regeneration) 1 BODY, Reduced Endurance (0 END; +1/2), Persistent (+1/2) (20 Active Points); Extra Time (Regeneration-Only) 20 Minutes (-2), Self Only (-1/2)
11 Extra Time Rapid Healing: Healing (Regeneration) 2 BODY, Reduced Endurance (0 END; +1/2), Persistent (+1/2) (40 Active Points); Extra Time (Regeneration-Only) 1 Hour (-2 1/4), Self Only (-1/2)
Powers Cost: 17
5 BODY per Hour, with a little bit every 20 minutes and "accelerated" every hour. Saves about 0 points due to the whacky 5e Regen calc, but if its flavor you are going for, there you go.