Entangle as Armour???

Photon1966

I was reading in some other posts and one idea metioned but not clarified was the use of Entangles as a defense. Bought with Does not Entangle(-0), and Self only (-1/2). I like the idea but how would it play out? Has any one done this before?

I have always wanted to have my mages cast a protective shell spell around themselves but which can be torn down with alot of blows, and play out the cracks in their shields, which if they recast the spell would shore it up again. I think this Entangle idea could work but not sure how to exactly use the idea.

I did something very much like this for a Champions character similar to Spider-Man. I wanted her to be able to create a "web shield" that could provide some defense, but get whittled away by attacks. This sounds like Ablative, except that she could just create another shield when the first one had been destroyed (which Ablative on some Defensive Power wouldn't allow).

I finally came up with the idea of using Entangle with Personal Immunity. When she wants to use the shield, she simply Entangles herself. Since it has Personal Immunity, it doesn't hinder her, but anyone attacking her has to get through the Entangle's DEF and BODY first. When she wants to make another shield, she simply Entangles herself again. :)

The same concept would certainly work in a Fantasy Hero game.

Interesting

Thats a neat idea thanks.

So would the "Shield" then act just like armour, stopping say 4DEF 4d6 Body untill all the body was destroyed and then if an attack did double the remaining body in an attack just shatter through it and ignoring the def for that attack.

Mage A has 4def but only 1 body left. Huge troll smashes mage for 10 Body 20 Stun. Since Body doubles his left over, in fact more then doubles as 6Body would have been enough, then that attack ignores the defenses of the shield as if they were never there? Seems to fit the rules as if you do that with an entangle on you , you get a full phase that round. Thoughts?

I think the important thing to keep in mind is that there are times when this power construct would be appropriate and other times would it would be abusive.

Derek's use seems okay but I'd have to compare it to a recoverable charge on an ablative defence.

Alot of time this type of defensive entangle is an attempt to excede Defensive limitations in this case a GM needs to bring out the hand of smackdown and simply say "No, that's not the proper way to build that effect."

Using an Entangle rather than Ablative Armor or Force Field fits better into certain concepts. Especially defenses that get wittled down over time. The problem with Ablative is that you either get full protection or Zero. The other problem with Ablative is that you can take the version that only degrades if Body gets through. An Ablative 12/12 suit of Mage Armor with Ablative is almost getting a free limitation.

I suggested using Does Not Entangle (-0) because Personal Immunity still allows the Entangle to be used offensively which doesn't match the special effect of Bone Armor or Stoneskin or whatever you want to call it. Self Only prevents the caster from using the spell on tanks.

Overall, using Entangle Armor isn't very efficient when compared to the Power "Armor" but does match certain spell concepts quite well.

The GM should already have rules in place to guard against abusive levels of defense.

This is why I think in an edition or 2 Force Walls Will be under the rubrix of Entangles instead of it's own power. That way the druids wall of Ivy Will have defence and Body like a real wall, and Jean grey's Telekinetic shield will be bought as all def and 1 body.