Military rank

tkdguy

In Fantasy Hero, having a military rank is a fringe benefit. Would you include it in a Star Hero campaign, and how many points would you assign to it?

This is what I did for a Star Trek game:

Petty Officer/CPO = 1 pt.

Ensign/Lieutenant JG = 2 pt.

Lieutenant/Lt. Commander = 3 pt.

Commander/Captain = 4 pt.

Commodore/Admiral = 5 pt.

Later, after having bought the new FH, I wrote this down for my game, with different point costs.

Corporal = 1

Sergeant = 2

Ensign = 3

Lieutenant = 4

Captain = 5

Major = 6

Colonel = 7

General = 8

Note that during the Renaissance, ensign (or ensign bearer) was an army rank. Today, perhaps the Warrant Officer grade would be the equivalent.

What are your ideas about this?

I think you should start by defining what each individual rank's benefits actually are.

In a Star Trek universe, for example, an argument can be made for the "Captain" perk being worth more than the "Admiral" one. Sure, admirals can order captains about, but admirals also get stuck behind desks on planets, where they are in constant communication with starfleet command/federation politicians. They dont have nearly the leeway to do as they please that Captains do.

I'd go with something more like this :

Crewman = 0 points

Low Officer = 1 point

High Oficer = 2 points

Department Head = +1 point

1st Offcier = +1 point

"Captain" = +2 point

Flag Rank = +1 point

Low Officer Status Grants :

Enhancement to social status

Ability to command crewmen (& Lower Low Officers)

High Officer Status Grants :

Low officer abilities

More enhancement to social status

Ability to command all Low Officers & Lower High Officers

Department Head status grants :

Ability to -not- be commanded by higher ranks in matters of one's department.

1st Officer :

Even more enhancement to social status

Ability to command department heads.

"Captain" :

Yet more enhancement to social status

Ability to command all that one surveys -when out of port-

Flag Rank :

Highest enhancement to social status

Ability to command captains (from afar, usually. Also the ability to lead multi ship task forces)

Examples :

Captain Kirk = High Officer, "Captain", 4 points.

Captian Picard = High Officer, "Captian", Flag, 5 points.

Chief O'Brien = Crew, Department Head , 1 point.

Lt Cmdr Data = High Officer, 2 points.

Ensign Checkov = Low Officer, 1 point.

Chief Kyle = Crewman, 0 points.

Random Deskbound Admiral = High Officer, Flag Rank, 3 points.

Outsider is absolutely right. Define what each level of rank gives you, then stat it out from there.

An Example from the Babylon 5 Universe:

I based this on the theory that in a B5 campain military rank was important, but that it only helps you with other members of earth force, the aliens don't care. In those cases your official areas of expertise and responsibility come into play. For Example; Mr. Garabauldi had law enforment powers and the Station commander was also an ambassador, so aliens did have to listen to that.

In an all-Earth Force game, the ranks would cost more.

Enlisted - 0 Points

Low Officer - 1 Point

Officer - 2 Points

High Officer - 3 Points

Then mix with the following:

Authority - 1 Point, You have official clout and others of lower/equal rank *must* obey you in these matters.

Expertise - 1 Point, in your area of knowledge your opinion counts as official fact.

Department Head - 2 Points, others below you in *your branch* orginization must follow your commands.

Command - 3 Points, you may give orders to anyone below your rank in a large orginization

Ambassador - You are recognized as speaking for your people and must be resepected by everyone who does not wish to insult your race.

Examples:

Mr Garabauldi = Officer, Authority (Security), Expertise (Security), Department Head (Security) 6 Points

Lt. Cmdr Ivoniva = Officer, Authority (Shipping Regulations), Department Head (Command & Control), 5 Points

Dr. Franklin = Enlisted, Authority (Medical Matters), Expertise (Medicine), Department Head (Med Lab) - 4 Points

Cmdr Sinclair = Officer, Command (Babylon 5), Ambassador - 8 Points

Captain Sheriden = High Officer, Command (Babylon 5), Ambassador - 9 Points (and later, Command - Rangers, bringing him up to 12)

Mr. Bester = Officer, Authority (Psi Corps regulations), Expertise (PSI Abilites), 4 Points

Lt. Keffler = Low Officer - 1 Point

Zack Allen = Low Officer, Authority (Security) - 2 Points (In later seasons he gain rank, become a department head and gain expertise, bringing him up to 6)

Lt. Corwin = Low Officer, Authority (Shipping Regs) - 2 Points (In season five he becomes a Department Head)

Random Starfury Pilot = Enlisted - 0 Points (but you do get to fly around)

Random Security Guard = Enlisted, Authority (Security) - 1 Point

Under this system rank and title end up costing more than they do in Outsiders Star Trek system, but then "pulling rank" comes up alot more on B5 than it does on Star Trek.

Sounds good. I was basing the cost based on the number of people normally under the officer's command.

How about this one for infantry types:

Squad Leader: 1

Platoon Leader: 3

Company Commander: 5

Battalion Commander: 7

Brigade Commander: 9

Corps Commander: 11

Division Commander: 13

Army Chief-of-staff: 15

The point cost for Executive Officers is 1 less than his immediate superior. Thus a company's XO is 4 points, and the platoon sergeant position is 2 points. This also apples to senior NCOs and those in the administrative staff of generals.

I know things get expensive at the higher levels but the officers in those positions have the rank of general (although some Brigade Commanders are colonels). So these costs should work out fairly well. And what GM would allow his players to start out as generals anyway?

Alien Wars includes a pretty specific military rank table with cost, I believe TE also does but I'm not 100% sure of that. Due to the fact that these are current products its probably not appropriate to duplicate them here for you but you could always go to your FLGS and take a peak (of course AW is so wonderful you will be compelled to buy it so bring cash :) ).

Ranks

For my scifi style games I do away with the Officer/Enlisted break. The entire reason to have one has esentially gone away and many "enlisted" are far better educated and experienced than the officers placed over them. In a technical military where large numbers of under-educated fighters have been replaced by small numbers of highly skilled technical soldiers it becomes very important that the officer in charge actually understand not just in general but in specific of how a task or objective is to be acheived.

Anyhow, I suggest you decide how you want your organization to be structured and then make ranks to suit.

Having had one cousin who attained Master Cheif Petty Officer (MCPO) in the Navy and another who attained Cheif Warrant Officer (CWO) in the Navy. Putting the cost of an Ensign or 2nd Lt. perk above enlisted ranks 8 and above (E8, E9, E10, WO1, WO2, WO3,) is wrong. The higher level Sargents and Petty Officers are actually in more control than the lower officer ranks (O1, O2).

I have to agree with outsider. An E-7 can tell an O-2 what to do because he knows, and the O-2, if he has any sense at all, knows he knows. The O-2 is in command. The E-7 is in charge. It has less to do with social standing, and more to do with contacts, skills, and presence. The average line unit E-7 in the Army has a combat patch and a hell of a lot of battlefield experience to go with it. The average O-2 has a Bachelors degree and REALLY shiny shoes. O-3s (Captains) tend to know what they are doing. The average Leiutenant does not. The E-7 does not get invited to the officer's club with the Colonel. The Louie might, even with a butter bar.

Originally posted by tkdguy

Keep in mind though, the liutenant still has the final say in the platoon. The sergeant can say whatever he wants, but if the lieutenant vetoes it, that's the end of it.

You can delegate authority, not responsibility. If the mission goes south, no one should blame the sergeant if he has followed the orders of the OIC - even if the SGT wrote the orders..

Originally posted by BoneDaddy

You can delegate authority, not responsibility. If the mission goes south, no one should blame the sergeant if he has followed the orders of the OIC - even if the SGT wrote the orders..

The blame usually goes to whomever the CO wants to blame (usually who's on his sh*t list). but it's usually the guy "in charge."