Which to buy...STAST or UNTIL?

Wombatman

I'd probably go with Sharper myself. Campaigns usually need good villains. Your PCs cover the hero end. UNTIL exists in my campaign, but the general information on them in Champions Universe is sufficient for me to run them. If I wanted UNTIL to play a major part in upcoming game sessions....then I'd buy it. Books like UNTIL are mostly reading material. STAST is a module(giving it immediate utility)....plus it has villains(though a tad too few for my tastes.

Rob

At this point I am leaning toward STAST. The campaign will be a "supers are new to the world" type and the players will be feeling their way into it as they are new to the genre and the system. They will be playing themselves as if they were granted superpowers.

The tenative plan is to run the old Top Secret adventure "Wacko World" to kick us off, with the intro of VIPER running the show at the park. From there we would head to Antarctica to check on a research station that has gone silent, using the Top Secret adventure "Whiteout" as a base. This will introduce Mechanon into the campaign. Then I could use STAST to bring VIPER back into focus.

At about this time the "Powers that Be" would begin outfitting agencies like UNTIL and PRIMUS to combat the growing super "menace" to society.

Any other suggestions on how to work a new campaign for a GM that hasn't played Champions since 3rd edition?

Wombatman

Originally posted by Wombatman

Any other suggestions on how to work a new campaign for a GM that hasn't played Champions since 3rd edition?

Wombatman

Especially if the players are in the same situation, or haven't played Champions at all - I'd suggest doing a throwaway scenario with simple characters to get everyone comfortable with the basic mechanics, esp combat stuff. How to read your character sheet, skill/stat rolls, OCV/DCV, maneuvers, damage, recoveries, knockback, etc etc. May also help firm up people's ideas of what kind of characters they want to play.

Speaking of combining TS and Supers, didnt Top Secret/SI have a couple of suplements dealing with Metahuman agents?

No idea. The adventures that I have are out of an old Dragon Magazine from back when I was still collecting it (many moons ago). I am also thinking of converting an old Gamma World module (Legion of Gold) for use. I wish I could remember where I stashed my Traveller adventures. I had a couple of those that might work too.

Wombatman

Originally posted by Wombatman

Wow, I didn't realize that Top Secret had that many support books for it. Some of those look like they could be easily modified for use in a campaign.

Thanks for the link

Wombatman

Yeah. Oddly enough, I own almost all of them.

TS/SI was a fun game. We had a lot of fun with it back in the day.