Cosmic Awareness?

Vondy

Full-Blown Cosmic Awareness Stunts I think Mar-Vell has done.

Detect physical objects, energy fields, magic, auras, and astral beings, sense, disrcriminatory, analyze, 360 degree, targeting, plusses to perception, maybe some telescopic

Danger Sense, any location, any kind

Find Weakness (Might explain why he could hurt the big guys)

Suppress Images area affect, 0 endurance, -0 limitation "only to allow hero to see through deceptions"

Telepathy, communicate normally, only voluntary read (Mar-vell used this with the Hulk

Mental Illusions - only to show the truth to others (Mar-vell used this to calm the Hulk down)

try rapid modifier for senses, then expand all of them to ranges in the megascale, targeting discr., Analyze...Like this:

Cosmic awareness

color="Black">Power

END
81 Increased Arc Of Perception (360-Degree) (All Sense), Megascale (1" = 100 million km; +2 1/4) (81 Active Points)
55 Universe: Analyze Sense (Other Sense; Additional Sense Group: Hearing Group, Additional Sense Group: Radio Group, Additional Sense Group: Sight Group, Additional Sense Group: Smell/Taste Group, Additional Sense Group: Touch Group)
21 Rapid x10000000 (Other Sense)
Powers Cost: 157

Cost Talent
25 Universal Translator 16-
3 Absolute Range Sense
3 Absolute Time Sense
3 Bump Of Direction
166 Combat Sense (Analyze, Discriminatory, Rapid (x10000), Telescopic (+14)), Megascale (1" = 100 million km; +2 1/4) (166 Active Points) 11-
5 Eidetic Memory
Talents Cost: 205
Cost Summary:Base Points:200Disadvantage Points: 0Experience Required: 162Total Experience Available: 0Total Character Cost: 362Height: 0' 0"Hair: Weight: 0 lbsEyes: Appearance: Personality: Quote:Background: Powers/Tactics: Campaign Use: 

I am SOOOO glad this is a 1,000 point legacy character.

Agent X - 2 questions:

Would you let someone dump those powers in a multipower (I know senses in power frameworks are iffy)?

Would you define that first detect as 1 detect, or multiple detects?

Everyone - 1 question:

Would you allow a "cosmic awareness" VPP?

Originally posted by Agent X

Full-Blown Cosmic Awareness Stunts I think Mar-Vell has done.

Detect physical objects, energy fields, magic, auras, and astral beings, sense, disrcriminatory, analyze, 360 degree, targeting, plusses to perception, maybe some telescopic

Basically a souped-up Spatial Awareness? Sounds about right to me. Expensive, but potentially powerful, particularly on a Blaster or offensive Mentalist. The Russians give it a 2, but the other 9 judges go from 9.2 to 10 ;)

Originally posted by Killer Shrike

Basically a souped-up Spatial Awareness? Sounds about right to me. Expensive, but potentially powerful, particularly on a Blaster or offensive Mentalist. The Russians give it a 2, but the other 9 judges go from 9.2 to 10 ;)

Then you can just drop mega-scale on it and...

Originally posted by Von D-Man

I am SOOOO glad this is a 1,000 point legacy character.

Agent X - 2 questions:

Would you let someone dump those powers in a multipower (I know senses in power frameworks are iffy)?

Would you define that first detect as 1 detect, or multiple detects?

Everyone - 1 question:

Would you allow a "cosmic awareness" VPP?

If the different sensory fuctions were exclusive in their use, I don't think a multipower would be such a problem. Mar-vell wouldn't have them in a multipower.

It's one detect. In the rules you can add more items to a detect for extra points.

Re: Cosmic Awareness?

Originally posted by Von D-Man

What sensory powers do "cosmically aware" characters have, anyways?

All of them. I have it as a pool, sensory powers only, no concious control. Add some megascale when concentrating or extra time. Acts as danger sense out of combat, find weakness/ analyze powers/ defenses in combat. Moves the plot forward when a special sense is needed to spot that crucial clue.

Its something to think about and work out over the weekend- what sorts of powers I would allow inside a VPP or other framework vis a vis cosmic awareness. Remember, there are actually different power levels of this "ultimate sensory power"- if it were infallible and persistent, Marvell woulda known he had cancer. I think even for a normal 350-pointer, there are some elements that could go into a MP or EC that would reflect a relatively minor cosmic awareness; lightning reflexes, spatial awareness, some various analyzes, danger sense, Defense Maneuver I-IV, some Cramming perhaps, a couple of DCV levels, a naked advantage along the lines of (+2) Special: adds up to 10 points of sensory enhancements to Sight Sense Group, Variable; Active Points/Real Points = 30. You could do all this and not screw up your campaign to any extent.

My campaign only allows pools that require extra time between encounters or a special lab, library, etc. to change the powers. But in a conventional champions campaign I would definitely allow a CA VPP if it were the focal point of the character (as it is with Mar-Vel).

Originally posted by Benzini

Lets not discount the 'Rapid" advantage to senses.. "It's a great, big universe, and we're all really puny,..."

To assess ALL that input would NEED Rapid...

The problem with Rapid is that I don't think it's been fleshed out enough in the book. I sort of ignore it most of the time because it is difficult to quantify the time needed to take in what you sense except in cases like reading a book.

• 2 weeks later...

Rapid

With the Rapid modifier you assimilate knowlwdge faster, Imagine you had to catalog every living thing in 3 square miles of forest, down to the bugs. Let's say that would take a normal person a year (being generous for examples sake) to catalog such information. With rapid it could be done in .1,.01,.001 times faster. Now imagine every living thing in the Universe! Must have rapid to know everything at once...