Open Praise for the Writers!!!

ZenStorm

There are probably a lot of posts saying something similar to this but, I don't care... I'm going to say it anyway.

Thank you.

Thank you. Thank you. Thank you. Thank you from the bottom of my deepest, darkest SOUL... for coming out with "Sidekick."

This book is the answer to my prayers.

Never again will I douse my drawers at the prospect of having to look up a rule or settle a rules-dispute with published documentation!

Never again will I forget such nuances as my own name, gender and place of residence as the neural-impulses of my meager, earthly mind are swallowed up in Fred's tempestuous vortex of information!

Never again will I succumb to the heart-dropping sadness of a friend's irritated glare as I drop Fred in front of him and say, in a weak and cracking voice..."Don't worry, it's simpler than it seems."

Never again shall I trip over my own feet and break my frail, gamer-arms on the pavement as I attempt to ponder superpower options and walk at the same time.

With a mighty nerd-roar shall I stand amidst my peers, with their snack-smeared clothing and not-at-all-phallic dice-bags slung from their belts and proclaim..."I /can/ learn this system. I /can/ put it to use. I /am/ here and I /am/ quee...." em... that may be going to far.

:)

Again, thank you very very much to everyone who contributed to this wonderful addition to the line.

Perfect.

Perfect.

Perfect.

Originally posted by Steve Long

Glad you're enjoying it! Hopefully it'll be everything you want it to be. :)

Would that be a Shapechange, a Multiform, or a VPP (or a combination)?

When I was a kid I read a book called "So you want to be a Wizard?"

The spellbook that the main character found was context-specific, so if you needed to know about a certain thing, when you looked in the index the information would suddenly be listed there.

FRED and Sidekick both are much like that ;)

I gave a copy of Sidekick to a new player Saturday. Ill give em a chance to get around to it but I will eventually ask that person for their impression of it. Im hoping its positive ;)

The coolest part, I think is the price tag.

Yeah, Monolith, I'm very very pleased.

Last Summer I was pretty dismayed that I couldn't find a Supers game that I didn't find utterly dorky. Then I happened to give Champs a look and thought it was actually pretty cool.

I picked it up but, didn't really get into it much. I was currently running an Exalted chronicle that had been going for about two years and didn't have time to learn a new system. Then finally, last Dec., as that game drew to a close I decided to dive into Hero head-first. I tried to learn the game in a hurry. Problem: I don't think you can really learn this system..."In a hurry" ...at least, you didn't /used to be able to/. Now, I'm going through Sidekick as basically a way of proofreading my basics. I'm reading it straight through, cover to cover. So far, I haven't found any mistakes on my part. But, it has made various things clearer to me, making up for my lack of experience in the system with it's summary and succinct way of putting things. Seriously, this is as easy a read as the old Basic DnD red-box PH.

Don't get me wrong. I Love Fred. I just find that that particular tome requires a bit of system-savy of a sort that is only acquired through time. Reading that book straight through... which I did... was kinda like if Walt Whitman or Anne Rice wrote an Encyclopedia. Though both are great writers, no doubt about it... they also tend to linger on each and every nuance, each and every thought, breath, gesture, etc. to the point where a single action can span nearly half a chapter.

Fred's great referrence material... but, a good system-learner it aint. At least not if you're trying to learn it quick.

P.S. Incidentally, though I've posted it before I'd like to reiterate how much I'm enjoying my Hero books and my current Champions campaign. I'm running a game set in Millenium City, though in my own vision of the CU. Though, supers are a big thing... I call them Paranormals or Exceptionals only. (I hate the term "Superhero" just a personal peeve) ...the game is more of a gothic-horror take on the supers genre. Think "Blade" or "X." I take up a very dark-anime sort of feel and mood, in the spirit of "Wicked City" "Ghost in the Shell" "Akira" etc. Millenium City is the "City of the Future" and all, but I've given it a bit more of a hard-bitten edginess and whatnot. Although the world that the game takes place in is an open-source one. The main thrust of the campaign involves, almost exclusively Supernatural, Extra-dimensional and Magical sources of superpowers. We've got a Shadow-manipulating Psychic, a Spirit-Kin Sorcerer child, a Vampire and a man who's been possessed/empowered by the essence of a bloody-handed angel from another plane.

It's going really well.

Oh yeah, something else I wanted to share, in case Mr. Long is still following this thread... I've decided that when I run Exalted again (it's my other favorite game, along with Mage) I'm going to convert it to Hero rules.

:D