Absorpbtion to END RES?!

Vondy

Originally posted by Gary

One thing to note. Adjustment powers to End Reserve fade away at the normal rate, unless the GM rules otherwise.

I also noted that it would be cheaper to buy the MP in question at 0 END than to build a sufficient END RES and Absorpbtion power to feed it...

Originally posted by Von D-Man

I also noted that it would be cheaper to buy the MP in question at 0 END than to build a sufficient END RES and Absorpbtion power to feed it...

That is frequently the Absorption conundrum... unless you're absorbing to multiple things at once, you're usually better off not buying it (from a game mechanicky, rules-lawyery point of view).

For example, why buy this...

60 Energy Blast 12d6

10 Absorption from Energy to Energy Blast 2d6

when you could buy this...

60 Energy Blast 12d6

7 +2d6 Energy Blast, Only when character has been hit with an energy attack of at least 10d6 (other than his own) in the last Turn (-1/2)

The latter works a bit differently mechanically, but the general effect is the same, it's cheaper to build, and it's arguably simpler to use.

For routine uses of Absorption, it often seems overpriced. (Note that in the example above, you could just increase the Energy Blast to 14d6 for the same cost as the EB plus Absorption, and then you'd have the extra dice all the time.) Strictly from a cost effectiveness standpoint, you'd often be better off buying the additional values you want and applying a Limitation to them to reflect the manner in which they're not available all the time, rather than using Absorption to feed them.

Of course, your GM may disagree. There is MetaRule #6 to consider, after all. ;)

Originally posted by Killer Shrike

Derek is right IMO -- Absorption is only useful when you start applying Modifiers to it. Otherwise its straight up a waste of points for almost all circumstances.

I have to add a noteworthy clarification to this, because I can think of 2 scenarios where single-target Absorption works just fine if not downright well.

#1> The Move By/Thru trick. Give Absorption from PD into STR or Running (or Flight). Because the character takes damage when they hit someone with a Move By/Thru, they hit their maximum pretty doggone quick.

#2> The invulnerability rule. Only works if you allow it to "heal" (as in, not wear off but not boost above starting value), of course. Then all you have to do is point it into STUN to alleviate the stun damage from attacks...

Originally posted by TheEmerged

I have to add a noteworthy clarification to this, because I can think of 2 scenarios where single-target Absorption works just fine if not downright well.

#1> The Move By/Thru trick. Give Absorption from PD into STR or Running (or Flight). Because the character takes damage when they hit someone with a Move By/Thru, they hit their maximum pretty doggone quick.

Yeah, but you can also just buy more damage only when doing Move Thrus, like a HA Only when doing Move Thru's, Personal Immunity or something.

Even if that last isnt legal (adding PI to HA to avoid KB reverb -- no havey booky to check) its still cheaper to buy HA Only While Doing Move Thrus, leaving points left over to buy some defenses alse "Only When Doing Move Thrus" for the same points as buying Absorption.

Originally posted by TheEmerged

#2> The invulnerability rule. Only works if you allow it to "heal" (as in, not wear off but not boost above starting value), of course. Then all you have to do is point it into STUN to alleviate the stun damage from attacks...

Yes, Healing Absorption or Healing Transfer for that matter would be much better. However, Steve has already shot down a suggestion to make a FAQ entry listing "HEAL" based vice "AID" based for Transfer as an option, so it's probably not something he'd entertain for Absorption either.

More's the pity.

But as a house rule, then yeah, there are some options for Absorption :D

Originally posted by Gary

One thing to note. Adjustment powers to End Reserve fade away at the normal rate, unless the GM rules otherwise.

Had this problem with a particular character concept. Powerboy absorbs energy. He has a certain amount of energy storage capacity. It does not recharge on its own, but must be fueled solely by energy absorbing.

Also, the character would die if his energy reserve was completely depleted.

Here's how I did it:

15 150 point END Reserve

5 REC 10 for END Reserve (-1: only to offset Absorption Fade Rate).