Witch Hunter Robin

badger3k

Didn't know where to post this, so I'll go here.

I've only seen a few episodes, and the stuff at Adultswim.com, and I feel that the setting could make an intersting low-power modern campaign (like I don't have enough to work on :)). However, I have a few questions on it that haven't been solved from the few sites I've looked at:

1) I came to the series thinking it was magic, but to me it looks like the powers are psychic (I don't know the reasoning, but mutant-hunter robin sounds a little worse title-wise). So far I haven't seen anything that says otherwise (ie - the genetic "witch factor" (my words) points toward mutation). Is this the case, or is there more to it?

2) In Hero terms, it looks like a heroic or low-super level. I figure maybe 150-200 points for characters, with powers maybe 40 or so active points. Does that sound about right or in the ballpark? Except for the take-life/give-life power from last night, most seem relatively low power (in superheroic terms).

Other than that, I'd just say that its interesting. Some of the writing doesn't quite work for me, and the main character (Robin) seems to be doped up all the time (maybe it's supposed to show that she's only 15 and reserved - IIRC that's what the website said about her character). Anybody have any comments on it?

Re: Witch Hunter Robin

Originally posted by badger3k

Didn't know where to post this, so I'll go here.

I've only seen a few episodes, and the stuff at Adultswim.com, and I feel that the setting could make an intersting low-power modern campaign (like I don't have enough to work on :)). However, I have a few questions on it that haven't been solved from the few sites I've looked at:

1) I came to the series thinking it was magic, but to me it looks like the powers are psychic (I don't know the reasoning, but mutant-hunter robin sounds a little worse title-wise). So far I haven't seen anything that says otherwise (ie - the genetic "witch factor" (my words) points toward mutation). Is this the case, or is there more to it?

I'd say its definately genetic. In a couple of the episodes they look into the past generations of suspects to determine if there are "whitches in their genes" so to speak. I don't know if I'd call it purely psychic powers. The doctor with the ability to transfer health (transfer). The girl in the park is doing some sort of invisible RKA. I'd say Robin has a VPP with fire. I believe that they are all essentially mutants though.

Kind of odd how the STJN seems to work though. If you are a mutant and work for us fine. Otherwise we'd better lock you up in "the factory" for the good of mankind. Perhaps they only go after a witch if they use their powers in abusive ways. I have gotten the idea that they are keeping tabs on a lot of witches out there. In one scene they made reference to pulling data on know witches. That seems to indicate that a lot more are running around out there that they are not after.

2) In Hero terms, it looks like a heroic or low-super level. I figure maybe 150-200 points for characters, with powers maybe 40 or so active points. Does that sound about right or in the ballpark? Except for the take-life/give-life power from last night, most seem relatively low power (in superheroic terms).
Let's see there was the TK kid who tears up cars and was able to squeeze his uncle between two box cars. I'd have to do math to figure this out and It's too late and I'm too sleepy to get a correct answer. Taking a guess I'd say you are about right.

Out of curiosity how would you represent Robin's vision needing correcting only when using her powers. Maybe a -2 OCV or RMod side-effect, countered by a +2 based on an OAF glasses?

Other than that, I'd just say that its interesting. Some of the writing doesn't quite work for me, and the main character (Robin) seems to be doped up all the time (maybe it's supposed to show that she's only 15 and reserved - IIRC that's what the website said about her character). Anybody have any comments on it?
She was raised in a monistary. A pretty dull and proper place to spend your formative years. In some of the later episodes I believe they will do some flashbacks to her earlier life. She does seem awfully dour though. Perhaps if Amon will ever show some emotions Robin will lighten up as well.

Thanks for the info. For Robins needing the glasses, that sounds good - since she can still use them, just her aim is off. The -2/+2 seems good for the points I imagine. Don't forget that using her power at ful strength further degrades her vision, so maybe a cumulative slow transform / OCV penalty when used at max power is the way to go for that. I was thinking that every time she uses them full strength, she adds up Body for the transform (maybe 1-2d6 for playability). When she gets enough, she gets another -1 OCV (and maybe Per as well - I'm not sure if she needs the glasses to see/read or just to aim her powers).

I do find it odd that there are more witches then they seem to encounter, but I wasn't sure if their database iisn't just witches who work for them or are "guests" in the factory. The organization is worldwide. so they might have a lot of agents or guests, more than we know about/care to think about. The organization definitely has dark roots, which will probably be revealed in time. It's possible that they only go after witches who are threats, though, so it might not be as dark as is implied.

Any idea on the Orbo (IIRC) - I was thinking some kind of suppress when used as a weapon or defense (maybe with some kind of duration) - I'm not sure if suppress would work as a defense (like it did with the guy who transfered life). Maybe Suppress with a trigger?

Any idea on the Orbo (IIRC) - I was thinking some kind of suppress when used as a weapon or defense (maybe with some kind of duration) - I'm not sure if suppress would work as a defense (like it did with the guy who transfered life). Maybe Suppress with a trigger?

I think a suppress would work well. I'd give it an activation roll too. Remember in the first episode, the second witch's power was not stopped by the Orbo. Amon and Sasaki were both pinned to the floor despite their Orbo. Amon makes a comment, "The Orbo's not working."

The Orbo necklass is an OAF because the fluid visibly bubbles when it is working. There may also be some special way certain witches can sense it. In episode one Robin says, "I won't be using the Orbo. Its disgusting." It obviously rubs her the wrong way.

Originally posted by Edsel

I think a suppress would work well. I'd give it an activation roll too. Remember in the first episode, the second witch's power was not stopped by the Orbo. Amon and Sasaki were both pinned to the floor despite their Orbo. Amon makes a comment, "The Orbo's not working."

That witch was cheating. He wasn't using his telekinesis against them, he was using it against the special sand that he had planted which was stuck to the soles of their shoes.

Originally posted by Armitage

That witch was cheating. He wasn't using his telekinesis against them, he was using it against the special sand that he had planted which was stuck to the soles of their shoes.

Doh! Of course! That's why they bothered to show the soles of their shoes glowing.

Of course by the same token I guess that if somebody uses TK to drop a car on you, they are affected the car and not you. Moral: Don't think your Orbo makes you invunerable.

Ah. But now that I'm thinking about it... What about the episode with the witch that worked on your inner fears, causing people to flip out. Was Sasaki wearing his Orbo necklas when the witch got to him?

What about the episode with the witch that worked on your inner fears, causing people to flip out. Was Sasaki wearing his Orbo necklas when the witch got to him?

Nope. Either Sakiki was suspended for 'causing' the incident or he was so miffed about being chewed out that he picked up his regular jacket instead of his STN-J (from what I've seen of the show on CN, it looks like the Orbos container is sewn into the STN-J jacket). It would make more sense to have it as a necklace, IMO, but I guess the Brass at Stingy thought differently.

The sand thingie also points to something a bit more than just Psi powers. It was in a special glyph that Robin studied. But beyond that, yeah, I was hoping for more "real" witchery. The biggest tell is that each witch only has one limited range of power. Robin can't even put out fires she creates, so it's not even a "complete" PyroK.

As for how many are around, from the show I don't seem to recall them chasing anyone who hasn't done something wrong. I'd guess that as long as you behave yourself, you are okay, unless you are really powerful and they collect you at an early age to train you or something. The opening bits mention seed of magic being planted elsewhere, and that it isn't native to Japan, so as a random hunch, I'd guess that the ancestor of all witches came from one place (Atlantis, Mu, ShangriLa, etc.?)

I really wish there was more info about this. I mean, I appreciate the attention to character development and whatnot, but Americans have a greater need for the action and the techno bits. I can't even count the number of times that I've lost my nifty airship before I could even look at all it's bits in some Japanese RPG. Maybe they are keeping secrets, but even what I assume to be the main website has no more info on Orbo then what was said in the first episode.

If anyone has more info about this stuff, I'd love to hear it. Unless it is spoilers for later episodes, in which case, don't. Or at least warn first.

Originally posted by Oruncrest

Nope. Either Sakiki was suspended for 'causing' the incident or he was so miffed about being chewed out that he picked up his regular jacket instead of his STN-J (from what I've seen of the show on CN, it looks like the Orbos container is sewn into the STN-J jacket). It would make more sense to have it as a necklace, IMO, but I guess the Brass at Stingy thought differently.

I know that Amon's Orbo is in a necklas. I have the first 2 DVDs. In the opening credits, which Cartoon Network omits, It shows Amon putting on his Orbo necklas as he leaves for work. I can't say for certain about the others though.

I am also curious about the Orbo guns they use, they seem to be regular guns (brass casings) yet the bullets are apparently transparent and filled with Orbo. That seems contrary to their mention about the guns being "at maximum pressure." Are they simply breaking on impact and covering the witch, or do they penetrate and drug the witch? I'm guessing the latter since the witches seem to passout when overcome. Or, perhaps simple contact with Orbo drains away their power and the shock causes them to fall.

Edited as I kept thinking of things to add.

Yesterday nights episode (missed the name) involved a woman who apparently summoned her sister's "astral self" with some kind of ritual. Another connection to magic, although it can also be argued that the ritual/astral self is based in psi (like the Deryni).

There was also a note on the factory and it's witch database. The characters apparently (from their words) are used to going after witches who have just awakened (ie powers became active). This implies that the database may have known or suspected witches, or else some form of genetic testing/tracking is done to people. You'd need something like that to be able to pick the witch involved if they haven't exhibited their power.

Give all witches a DF (with roll for skill): Be In Database? Or would that database entry be rolled up in the "watched"? Maybe social limitation of 0 points (not public, but can be found out from database on roll "x")?

Also last night showed a close up of the gun firing. There were no casings, and and pressurized air shot out ports on the bottom of the gun. As to what it is shooting, it is green like the orbo necklace, so that would be a good guess. Can't tell whether it is a contact thing or pierces the skin. The benefit of using pressurized guns is that they are, by nature, silenced. There is no way the projectile is breaking the sound barrier, and the "pop" of firing would be quieter than an explosive charge.

As for the continuing magic vs psi, at the very least it is a psi framework of some sort, as Robin somehow uses her PyroK to sheild herself from attacks of other powers, even without displaying fire of any kind.

One possibility is that every witch has only one primary "active" use power, but they all develop some passive abilities, like shielding, or being able to power certain rituals. Kind of like the ritual vs adept magic of Unkown Armies. If I was running a game in this setting, I'd probably allow all witches to do "real" magic, but just make the rituals so hard to find that most witches just use their primary talent.

Ah. But now that I'm thinking about it... What about the episode with the witch that worked on your inner fears, causing people to flip out. Was Sasaki wearing his Orbo necklas when the witch got to him?

I may not be remembering all the episodes I've seen at the moment, but it seems like all of the other witches encountered so far all had some variant of Psychokinesis, directly manipulating matter, energy, or raw force. The fear witch was the only telepath encountered so far. The orbo may only shield against physical threats, not mental. I'll have to see more episodes though.

EDIT: Just checked an episode guide online, just episodes I've seen, don't want to be spoiled.

1: Force blast shout. Sand manipulation.

2: Rupturing internal organs.

3: Life-sucking insects.

4: Telekinetic force blades.

5: Fear manipulation.

6: Animated dolls.

7: Straight telekinesis

8: Health transfer.

9: Pyrokinesis.

I think Robin's pyrokenetics are much more powerful that I originally believed. In last night's episode she essentially vaporized a telekenitic witch which was running amoke. This after she shrugged off his attack which was strong enough to implode people, and overcome Orbo.

I think Robin's pyrokenetics are much more powerful that I originally believed. In last night's episode she essentially vaporized a telekenitic witch which was running amoke. This after she shrugged off his attack which was strong enough to implode people, and overcome Orbo.

Yeah, she stopped his attack cold and incinerated him (and he made black hole people!). I liked the darts - we at last got to see what they fire out of the pistols.

I was disgusted with the Inquisition bit, especially the part where the priest says that witches (well, craft wielders who are on the side of good, though hardly equal or redeemed) need to follow orders and swallow all kind of S#@t. So basically, if you have the power, you are second class (or lower is the impression I got). Add in what seemed to me subtle (sort of) hints towards torture (mental probably) used when they "test" people, the side of "good" is looking worse and worse to me. The not-exactly-a-smile smile on the Inquisitor at the end makes me wonder what game is being played. I got the impression he was glad Robin incinerated the guy, and not because he was a witch. It's like he was goading her on for some reason.

I got the impression he was glad Robin incinerated the guy, and not because he was a witch. It's like he was goading her on for some reason.

Yeah, he made some remark about awaking her craft (or something like that). I really do wonder what the international organization's game is.

There seems to be a lot of conspiracy going on. In one of the first episodes Amon and the Chief have a discussion where they wonder just why the "head office" sent them another craft-user. They seemed be concerned that she might be a spy of some sort. Later on we see her calling/reporting in to somebody but they've never really gotten back to that.

One possibility I can see with the craft-users/witches is that the power, once discovered, is corrupting. Apparently people can have the talent without ever realizing it. But those who realize their power may be suseptible to the temptations that power brings. Sort of like a force user being seduced by the dark side. Since Robin has a flashback in which she is apparently a nun-in-training (or something like that), perhaps her pious life kept her from falling victim to the temptation. She has apparently been raised by the organization to believe that all witches are evil and that she isn't one, she is a hunter. Of course a rose by any other name...

Since the episodes oftent start with the speech about 320-years having passed since the coven sank into the darkness, perhaps something happened back then that tainted the source of their powers. Hopefully they'll clear this up somewhat by the series end (though anime can disappoint you sometimes).

I guess the Inquizitor is sent to discover if newly revealed craft-users can be converted into hunters. Apparently only in cases where the craft-user has done no harm or, as in last-nights episode, may have only acted in self-defense is the Inquizitor called-in. Otherwise they just seem to assume that witches are un-redeemable and ice them. With such a paranoid, up-tight group running the main office, it's no wonder that they seem to feel that their own craft-using hunters are just a step away from being corrupted. Whenever one of their craft-users gets too wise to what is going on they are likely to rebel anyway. It's a pretty bleak outlook for craft-users no matter how you look at it.

The corruption aspect could be something. With some oriental legends dealing with spellcasters getting "altered" physically or mentally by their power, this may be part of the storyline.

Part of it too is just finishing the story "Cold Light" by Karl Edward Wagner, which has a character who is a crusader, so certain he's doing good that rape, torture, and murder done by him are justified. This Inquisition bit strikes me as similar (even the name calls to mind the atrocities that fanaticism can lead to). I have to admit that it does set up a paranoid mood pretty well. It makes me wonder whether Robin (and friends, since there are several other witches-by-other-names in the unit) - maybe there is something special about her that will be revealed, or is it the fact that her power seems more offensive (as opposed to the object-reading power of the one character - foget name, but like voice).

Cast of Characters (from the DVDs)

Robin Sena -- Kari Wahlgren (title character)

Amon -- Crispin Freeman (team leader)

Haruto Sasaki -- Johnny Young Bosch (the motorcyclist)

Miho Karasuma -- Windee Lee (the psychometry person)

Yurika Dojima -- Michelle Ruff (the one who'd rather be shopping)

Michael Lee -- Dave Wittenberg (the computer geek)

I think Karasuma is the girl you were talking about. Windee Lee has a good voice, I first fell in love with her voice when she was playing Yuri in the Original Dirty Pair.

BTW Cartoon Network seems to be doing a pretty good job in not cutting up the series. They drop the opening credits (which is a shame I like the opening theme) and they speed past the ending credits. Otherwise they seem to have left it pretty much alone. I only have the first two DVDs with the third on order so everything past episode 10 has been new to me. Its on the air in Oklahoma City at 11:00 PM and I have to get up at 6:00 AM, but I stay up to watch it anyway.;)

Cast of Characters (from the DVDs)

Robin Sena -- Kari Wahlgren (title character)

Amon -- Crispin Freeman (team leader)

Haruto Sasaki -- Johnny Young Bosch (the motorcyclist)

Miho Karasuma -- Windee Lee (the psychometry person)

Yurika Dojima -- Michelle Ruff (the one who'd rather be shopping)

Michael Lee -- Dave Wittenberg (the computer geek)

I think Karasuma is the girl you were talking about. Windee Lee has a good voice, I first fell in love with her voice when she was playing Yuri in the Original Dirty Pair.

BTW Cartoon Network seems to be doing a pretty good job in not cutting up the series. They drop the opening credits (which is a shame I like the opening theme) and they speed past the ending credits. Otherwise they seem to have left it pretty much alone. I only have the first two DVDs with the third on order so everything past episode 10 has been new to me. Its on the air in Oklahoma City at 11:00 PM and I have to get up at 6:00 AM, but I stay up to watch it anyway.;)

Thanks for the info (Miho/Windee is the one I'm thinking of). I'm the same - up to watch the end then back up at quarter to six.

To bring it back to game terms, I was thinking the powers would be elemental controls or multipowers. I think EC since they seem to be able to keep shields up while attacking at what may be full strength. I also think that their shields are force walls (the anti-witch bullets were probably AP vs Witchcraft powers, IMO), and maybe have a limitation (collapse and stop nothing if power is greater than field) - or else Robins power is strong enough to incinerate a man after getting through his shields.

• 2 weeks later...

Ahem, well I watched the entire series from a Kazaa fandubbing.

What I've plumbed though I won't include some things because it might spoil it for people.

Witches- genetic mutation leading very far back into history.

The Craft- despite the seemingly one trick nature and genetic origin, there seem actual metaphysical symbols that can be used to change or supplement a power.

ie: the circle in sand, the old woman that awakens and then removes a witches craft by drawing a symbol, the symbol in the sand that appears next to the little girl as she makes a shiny clay ball.

Orbo and craft deflection- They essentially work the same. A witch can channel their power in attempts to deflect or resist another witche's power. A person with orbo doesn't physically need to concentrate to create this affect, but it has its drawbacks and shortcomings. Only being affectted when the person is the specific target, even then a strong enough witch can overcome an orbo's power. Orbo is organic in nature and I believe there's something about harmony with a wearer. Orbo also has the side affect of slowly eating away at a witch's power if they wear them[ex. the SGNJ's telepath who's now taking a lion share of the missions and wearing the orbo near constant is finding her powers depleted.][The reason why this is and to the orbo's origins are revealed later in the series.]

Religion- there's a definate religious overtone here if it wasn't obvious. Witch's viewed as evil and not human.

Witch's watched- Those that demonstrate their power's are hunted, because most with free reign soon succumb to their desires. The idea being power curropts. Active witches are all on the list, but the SGNJ can't just take them all out. They have limited man power and they have to keep their activities relatively below radar. It's a big list and people fall through the cracks.

Craftuser- those witches trained to use their gift and not fall to temptation as well as aware somewhat of the more mystical aspects of a witch. Thus Robin is a craftuser to the orginization not a witch.

Tree of Knowledge- this goes back to the mystical, pseudo religion that has to do with the witches. It holds the "secret of the craft" and seems an important stake in the witches origin.

Robin- She's special trust me.

Alot of questions here are answered in the few final episodes of the series. I don't like giving spoilers if you really want an answer PM and I'll reveal as best I know.

I have been collecting the series on DVD as they are released by Bandai. Based on the box I have I'd say they'll be 6 disks in the set. I have heard from different sources that the series is either 25 or 26 episodes long. I'm guessing there is 26 episodes since that seems to be the norm. Is it 25 or 26?

I have also lost track of which episode number we are up to on Cartoon Network. I haven't missed any but I've lost track. Does anybody know what episode number we'll be up to on Monday night's show?

My guess on the series: Robin was born in Japan but her parents were taken out of the picture when she was still a baby, therefore she never really knew them. She was raised in Italy, apparently in a convent of some sort. Solomon (the global Witch Hunting organization) apparently has had a stake in her since she was born. She was until recently a spy sent by them and now they, or the STJN chief, is after her. I think both are. It is clear to me now that the STJN chief hates all witches & craftusers, his goal is to eliminate all of them. I think that Robin was an experiment of some sort that has grown so powerful that they are all afraid of her. I think she is the most powerful craftuser on the planet and maybe ever. She seemed to be very afraid of the "powerful" hunter that Solomon sent to get her and yet more of her power awakened and she defeated him. Amon seems to be torn. He beileved that witch hunting was a job that had to be done, but he has become disillusioned with what he has learned. He is now hiding and watching, trying to decide what he should do.

Orbo is organic. Only the STJN has it, Solomon doesn't. Only the STJN captures witches instead of killing them. The witches they capture are all taken to the "Factory". Apparently this same "factory" supplies them with Orbo. Therefore Orbo = extract of witches. Sounds like if you are a witch it'd be better to be slain by Soloman rather than be used as a medical experiment by the Factory.

Don't spoil any of this and tell me if I'm right or wrong in my speculations. I'll be curious to see how close to the mark I am.

Re: Witch Hunter Robin

About Last Nights Episode (3-23-2004)

I think that the couple in the old picture are Robin's mother and father. That would make the old lady at the house Robin's paternal grandmother. She saw the resemblence of Robin to her daughter-in-law, hence her reaction. The fact that Father Juliano (sp?) was there make me even more convinced that Robin is the product of some sort of Soloman experiment. Perhaps selective breeding to make a super craft-user?

Obviously Soloman and the administrator of the STJN are in a war with each other now. The Administrator is working from the Factory now and sent their men to get the most recent hunter sent by Soloman. The Administrator, I think, still wants to do away with all craft-users and witches. That means he'd still like to take Robin out, but he'll get rid of any hunter he can regardless who they are hunting.

Amon obviously had a bad experience with craft-users/witches. Seems like he lost his parents to some. Like to type more but the firewall at work is about to go up. Maybe I'll post more during lunch.