Battletech to HERO ( see Star HERO Fandom )

TheQuestionMan

Re: Battletech to HERO ( see Star HERO Fandom )

Originally posted by TheQuestionMan

Heh Folks , Requesting a little HELP here . Thanks ...

Battletech/Modifiers/Piloting(skill)/Gunnery( CV )

8 / -4 / 30 / 10

7 / -3 / 27 / 9

6 / -2 / 24 / 8

5 / -1 / 21 / 7

4 / 0 / 18 / 6

3 / +1 / 15 / 5

2 / +2 / 12 / 4

1 / +3 / 9 / 3

0 / +4 / 6(no TF ) / -3(no WF )

Having real trouble setting it up table like , but there it is .

I don't have my Mechwarrior 2nd Rulebook handy at this time but I think if you convert from the boardgame Battletech and not the RPG this table looks odd to me. 8 = a Skill of 30?

In Battletech (the boardgame) 0 was the best you could have, the skill of an elite pilot/gunner ás far as I remember. Well for the Mechwarrior RPG I have to look this up again (maybe this evening) but for a battletech conversions this looks odd.

The write-ups for the characterstuff looks good, I'm interested in the way you will handle the mechs in HERO, will you play the boardgame or are you going for a complete conversion and building them in HERO using the vehicle rules?

Oh and the Character Ability Guidelines, they are only for Inner Sphere people right?

It looks like you can bunch some of these together. You can put some in politics and history and spend a point on each of them for a roll of 8-. Stuff like star systems, battle technology, and military procedure would be more important, so give the pilot a roll of 11-. Finally, give your pilot the Tactics skill.

You could put stuff like House Davion under KS: Noble Houses/Clans/Factions (or whatever the proper term is).

Famous Mech Warriors and Militias and Mercs could fall under KS: Military Lore. Terrorists would be a different KS unless they're particularly militant and/or effective at hindering military operations. Military procedures and military law are different skills.

As for rank, I started a thread about that on this board. It was argued that a sergeant with experience would cost more than a newly-commissioned lieutenant fresh from the academy. That's because the sergeant knows more about the way things work. However, if the lieutenant rose from the ranks, that would not necessarily be the case.

Rank as a Fringe Benefit (Perk) should be priced according to the table in the book; in this case, the lietenant straight from the Academy pays more for his fringe benefit than the sergeant. On the other hand, the grizzled veteran sergeant has bought positive Reputation and has skills out his butt. The lieutenant has only the basic Academy package, and may even have a negative Reputation, depending on how (in)famous he is. A Psych Lim like "Underconfident" wouldn't be inappropriate either.

I'd break your "KS tree" down as follows:

2 KS: Military History/Literature 11-

— KS: Inner Sphere History / Politics

— KS: Federated Suns History / Politics

— KS: Capellan March History / Politics

— KS: The Laws of War (Ares Conventions 3025)

— KS: Star League History / Politics

2 KS: Military/Mercenary/Terrorist World 11-

— KS: Famous Mechwarriors

— KS: Solaris VII Champions

— KS: The Federated Suns Nobility (Warrior Houses)

2 KS: Military Technology 11-

— KS: Battletechnology

— KS: Lostech (Star League Technology)

— KS: Battlemech Production Facilities

2 KS: Military Hierarchy/Procedures 11-

— KS: Armed Forces Federated Suns (AFFS)

— KS: AFFS Regulations

— KS: Warrior's Hall Training Cadre

— KS: New Syrtis Capellan March Militia

— KS : 1st Federated Suns Armored Cavalry

2 AK: The Inner Sphere (3025) 11-

— AK: The Federated Suns

— AK: Capellan March

2 AK: New Syrtis (Planet) 11-

— AK: Nova Orkney (City , Hometown)

Remember, an 11- is considered good enough that the character can get a job doing whatever it is; if you've got a bunch of these at 11-, then as GM I'd just let you know a lot of things without having to roll. Anything under the primary skill would have a slight penalty, say -1 to -3 depending on how far removed it is. The only one that I'd do differently is AK: The Inner Sphere; I believe Star Hero has a chart for these penalties. It would be worth it to invest in Scholar.

I’m not familiar with the setting, so I’m not sure where KS: Capellan Confederation and KS: Periphery fit. Are they AKs?

Modern fighter pilots are all officers. Apparently, though, in the modern US Army, NCOs can command and drive tanks. This resulted in some assumption shock when I (an AF veteran) was playing Battletech Hero with a guy who was an Army veteran. I built a character who was a lieutenant, expecting to be at the bottom of the pecking order, and ended up getting put in command (which I didn't want).

Unfortunately I don't have any of the notes we used, or I'd post them. I'll dig out and post some of my (3rd edition Hero) characters if anyone would like to see what they looked like.

Edit: This article might help you some, though it is based on GURPS rather than Hero.

Battlemech Weapons would be Vehicle Weapons, a 2-point Weapon Familiarity. Combat Skill Levels with All Battlemech Weapons would be 3-point levels.

Now, you could also decide that 'Mechs belong in "families" and say that, for instance, these five mechs here are similar enough to be one group, while those three over there are a different group. Don't know anything about the setting or I'd offer an example.

Guest Major Tom

You want a really creepy skill for your Battletech-to-HERO con-

version? Well, in the out-of-print Kell Hounds supplement, there's

something called "Phantom Mech Skill" which, according to what

I've been told, enables the possessor of the skill to cause his

'Mech to become effectively invisible to the sensors/targeting

systems of enemy "Mechs. The skill itself is rarely found in Mech-

Warriors; those who possess it also have to have a unique com-

bination of genetics, training and philosophy for the skill to work. Apparently, the skill kicks in once the pilot perceives him-

or herself as already being dead in combat. In the Battletech

canon, there are only three MechWarriors known to have had

the Phantom Mech Skill: Morgan and Patrick Kell, and Yoshinaga

Kurita.

I don't really know how this skill would look in FREd, but I just

thought I'd go ahead and contribute this little item to the topic.

Major Tom :cool:

Originally posted by shadowcat1313

do new Lieutenants's take a -2 for map reading and orienteering?

Not if they're trained correctly. In ROTC they always practice those skill on training sessions. I can still remember a couple of things even now. Of course, it helps that the colonel was helping us!

Originally posted by Major Tom

You want a really creepy skill for your Battletech-to-HERO con-

version? Well, in the out-of-print Kell Hounds supplement, there's

something called "Phantom Mech Skill" which, according to what

I've been told, enables the possessor of the skill to cause his

'Mech to become effectively invisible to the sensors/targeting

systems of enemy "Mechs. The skill itself is rarely found in Mech-

Warriors; those who possess it also have to have a unique com-

bination of genetics, training and philosophy for the skill to work. Apparently, the skill kicks in once the pilot perceives him-

or herself as already being dead in combat. In the Battletech

canon, there are only three MechWarriors known to have had

the Phantom Mech Skill: Morgan and Patrick Kell, and Yoshinaga

Kurita.

I don't really know how this skill would look in FREd, but I just

thought I'd go ahead and contribute this little item to the topic.

It'd be a form of Invisibility, with a hefty Usable Simultaneously, and equally hefty limitations (RSR, Mech Only, etc.) Similar in spirit to buying your SPD up, but only with regards to your vehicle.

Guest zarglif69

Bartletech si teh suxx0rz!!!!1 Wtf are yuo palaying aruond wit giant robots and bugs for!?!?1 its so... no I can't say taht wrod 'cuz yuo'll freak out and banz0r me.

Guest Major Tom
Originally posted by zarglif69

Bartletech si teh suxx0rz!!!!1 Wtf are yuo palaying aruond wit giant robots and bugs for!?!?1 its so... no I can't say taht wrod 'cuz yuo'll freak out and banz0r me.

Great googlely-moogely, man! Just what the frell have you been

smoking, anyway?!

Major Tom :confused:

• 3 weeks later...