Wall-springing

John T

How would (or has) anyone built the ability to Leap, "bounce" off one or more objects in the flight path, and change direction? I've considered Flight with a limitation such as Must Start, End and Change Direction in Contact with a Surface, but I'm not sure you can change hex facings more than once per hex via Skill Levels in Flight. Even so, that option would require a lot of skill levels, especially when getting into longer distances.

Any suggestions out there?

Thanks,

J

WARNING!

Unusual Power Construction ahead!

Try adding Autofire to leaping.

I know, I know, this violates the rules for movement, but who cares.

What this will do, is allow the character to leap up to "X" number of times. One "to-hit roll" to determine how many leaps he gets that phase. (remember, when leaping long distances, one must make an attack roll to land in the desired hex, thus Autofire actually kinda works for Leaping)

For Gm's with a stick up their, er...um...who don't like that particular construct, simply make the player purchase "X" inches of leaping multiple times and link them together.

I actually had a character with a leaping attack of this nature. He called the move Fatal Pentegram because he performed it with a Lightsabre-style weapon and from above it looked as if he were drawing a Pentegram made of light....

For an attack of that nature, merely require a Sweep attack for each "Leap". Of course, to be able to perform an attack of this sort with the Wall Springing power, the character would need Rapid Attack skill.

This is one of those tricky "reasoning from effect" cases.

Ultimately, all you are still doing is moving from point A to point B, you're just bumping into things along the way. This could just be the SFX of having several types of movement ability (something I often do for Martial Artists), such as Running and Leaping.

If it's used Jackie Chan up walls and stuff, you might try a limited form of Clinging to go with it, or Flight "only on/near a surface" with a RSR: Acrobatics.

Alternatively, if you're looking for a one Power fix-it, you can just buy Flight with "can only change direction when near a solid surface" and "must contact a solid surface each Phase to continue movement."

I haven't given any thought as to what the value of any of those Limitations would be, but I'd figure about -1/4 or -1/2, no more.

Yes I personally would just call it a special effect...just like an MA doing 50 back flips to cross a room. If you disagree try looking at No turn mode on flight, must land,RSR acro (can only roll in contact with a surface)...but I'd just call it a special effect.....

Originally posted by pinecone

Yes I personally would just call it a special effect...just like an MA doing 50 back flips to cross a room. If you disagree try looking at No turn mode on flight, must land,RSR acro (can only roll in contact with a surface)...but I'd just call it a special effect.....

Yes, my natural inclination toward the simple (special effect) solution will probably win out, though I wasn't familiar enough with FRed yet to realize you COULD buy Flight with No Turn Mode. Thanks; I try to learn something new every day! Or at least learn more things than I forget every day! ;)

Thanks All for the help!

J

I have an NPC who sort of has this power. Her power is a double-jump, she jumps, then jumps again in mid-air. I built it like this:

Double Jump: Leaping 30". PLUS Flight 30". Linked (-1/4). Requires Acrobatics skill roll (-1/2). 90 Active/64 Real.

The flight was linked to Leaping, with the GM explanation of "only the phase after you leapt". She had a speed of like 5. She usually does it by holding an action until right before her next phase, so she doesn't fall too far before doing the second jump.