Should I get Star Hero or Fantasy Hero Grimoire?

Chuk

I'm kind of torn -- I've heard really good things about Star Hero, and I'd love to run an SH game. But I already run an occasional FH game -- I have the main FH game, but would Grimoire be better?

Or how about MMM? Or the Bestiary?

Basically, if I get something, I want it to be good to read (FH definitely qualified there...great value for $), but I'd also like to be able to use it in gaming. FH will qualify there, too. I'm probably a little less likely to use SH, but I really like SF type games.

Okay, here's my real question: Does the FHG have lots of different magic "systems", or is it all just a bunch of spells? If it's a bunch of spells, are they good, or just rehash of D&D type stuff?

How about MMM? Would I be better off getting the Bestiary even if I already have the 4th edition one?

I don't own any of those books (except the Besteary) so I can't offer a review of them.

The Besteary is excellent though. It has an excellent list of fantasy creatures and monsters and normal animals. With extensive rules on how to modify normal animals/creatures with specific and customizable templates it's an invaluable resource for GMs that use these types of creatures in their games.

Star Hero is less substantial than Fantasy Hero, but it still has a bunch of very useful stuff. It can help you with stuff like how to make starships and include realistic science and cosmology in your games. I couldn't figure out starships at all until I read it. It has a lot of good premade equipment too.

I wouldn't say it's required reading for a sci-fi game, but it will make your job a lot easier.

Given what you've said, here would be my order of recommendation:

1. Star Hero

2. HERO System Bestiary

3. Fantasy Hero Grimoire

4. Monsters, Minions, and Marauders

If you ever want to run a sci-fi game, Star Hero is indispensible, IMO. I think it's the best gaming treatment of sci-fi ever written (surpassing the outstanding GURPS Space). Even if you're not running a sci-fi game right now, Star Hero is a good read. (Warning: may cause you to want to run a sci-fi game. ;) )

The HERO System Bestiary is also very useful, perhaps more useful than Star Hero since you're already running Fantasy Hero occasionally. However, it's not nearly as much of a "good read" book. It's a very useful reference book, but ultimately that's primarily what it is: a reference book.

The Fantasy Hero Grimoire contains spells for a single, over-arching, magic system, but one with many sub-types within it, and a very mainstream feel. It would be tremendously useful if (A) your magic system's rules match (or nearly match) the rules for the Turakian Age magic system and/or (B) you have players (or you yourself) who really don't like making up spells. Like the Bestiary, it's mainly a reference book. There are plenty of interesting things in it, but it's not necessarily meant to grab your interest to sit there and read a gazillion spells for entertainment. :)

Monsters, Minions, and Marauders is useful in the same ways as the Bestiary, but if you don't have the Bestiary, that one's the more valuable of the two, IMO.

Really, you should get all of them. :)

Originally posted by Talon

Star Hero is excellent (and a decent read), and it will probably encourage you to get Terran Empire, which is an excellent read. :)

My take on this is:

Star Hero explains very well how to run a sci-fi game using the HERO System.

Terran Empire explains very well why you want to do so. :D

Originally posted by BobGreenwade

My take on this is:

Star Hero explains very well how to run a sci-fi game using the HERO System.

Terran Empire explains very well why you want to do so. :D

I have never heard it put so well.

My take on this

1. Hero Bestiary

It isn't a great "read," but if you use any kind of animals or creatures (what game doesn't) it is a must. The 4th edition Bestiary is to 5e Bestiary what the horse is to the modern car.

2. Star Hero.

If you ever want to run a science fiction game it is a must.

To answer your questions about FHG: FHG is "just" a bunch of spells, for a single magic system. However, it's a /large/ number of spells, with options for each that make them easily to adapt to other systems.

The biggest problem with FHG, IMO, is that the spells are not particularly balanced with respect to one other. Other than GM eyeballing, there isn't an easy way to rate the spells based on power level. If you let players pick spells willy-nilly from the book, you could end up in trouble.