Cybernetic as limitation

Guest cubist

Guest cubist

Okay, I remember this from Cyber Hero, but no longer have it- was this a -1/4 or -1/2? I think that it should be a -1/2 limitation on powers and here's my reasoning: A focus can be taken away, sure, but does not add inherent disadvantages to you personally, which cybernetics do. Magnetics, EMPs and cyberkinesis are now very dangerous to you, whereas a normal hero does not need to worry about them. It alters the type of medical care that you require, it makes you noticeably inhuman, even if hidden(a limited or regular Distinctive Feature) and it makes you detectable as a machine by any with that ability. I would suggest that the character is then affected by cyberkinesis and magnetics at 1/2 normal adamage, take full effects from EMPs and can have their cybernetics deactivated temporarily by a trained cybernetics engineer/implanter, like a OIF. What say you all?

It actualy is Restrainable as a lim (-1/4 level), this represents the damage it can take from EMP and Cyberkinesis, and IIRC it was a -1/4 in Cyberhero as well

THEN you take a Phys lm for the medical care

THEN you take a distinctive feature

THEN you CAN take a Vulnerability to Electrical attacks

THEN you CAN take a Suseptibility to Magnetics

etc...

Kind of like building with legos in a way

Originally posted by Supreme

Related Question Supreme:

If your cybernetics are based upon fiber-optics as opposed to conventional circuitry, are you still vulnerable to EMPs?

AFAIK, fiber optic circuits are NOT susceptible to EMP, as EMP disrupts electron flow, and fiber optics are photonic, nor electronic. However, for most fiber optics, there are some electronic components at some point in the system.

Maybe damage reduction, only vs. EMP, for fiber optic systems.

Originally posted by Peregrine

AFAIK, fiber optic circuits are NOT susceptible to EMP, as EMP disrupts electron flow, and fiber optics are photonic, nor electronic. However, for most fiber optics, there are some electronic components at some point in the system.

Maybe damage reduction, only vs. EMP, for fiber optic systems.

I was also thinking that there should be some conventional circuitry somewhere in the system which an EMP would disrupt. My understanding of EMPs is that they disrupt electrical systems by inducing more current (a changing electrical or magnetic field induces current in a conductor - like a wire) than the circuits can handle. Said circuits then burn out.

Re: Cybernetic as limitation

Originally posted by cubist

Okay, I remember this from Cyber Hero,

Then you're mis-remembering. There was no Limitation called "Cybernetic". All cybernetic systems had common Lims, including "Side Effects" at the -1/2 level,(1) and something called "Accumulative Side Effects" which was never explained.

The Side Effects was a Mind Control (6d6 or 1d6/10 Active Points, whichever was greater) to make the character go all twitchy about having machine pieces in his/her body.

"Does Not Work In Magnetic Fields" was a separate -1/2 Lim. The rest of the problems you mention were not addressed by any Lims in Cyber Hero.

Yes, it's ill-written and confusing and damn-near silly. But, Cyber Hero stunk on ice, so what can you expect? :P :p :P :p

(1) NeoCybernetics had this at -1/4 --- Mind Control 3d6 or 1d6/20 Active Points, whichever was more.

--

I have yet to see any problem, however complicated, which, when you looked at it in the right way, did not become still more complicated. -- Poul Anderson

• 3 weeks later...

Cybernetic?

The last game I was in where 'cybernetic' was a limitation applied it in a very interesting way ... effectively, your body became the focus. It was a -1/4 limitation, and whenever you took Body damage (in the days when foci were more susceptible to being damaged), you randomly checked for a 'broken' power. Games with the Hit Locations charts laid out where the powers were ('Forearm shot, got your popup blaster'). There was also phys lims available if dismantling/damaging/removing the Cybernetics caused severe problems (Wolverine and his metal skeleton wouldn't; Cable and his cyber-arm would).

I guess only Restrainable would be fine in most cases. If there are prevalent anti-cyber devices then I would consider adding a Side Effect. The new rules for Side Effect are very cool. You could easily add associated vunerabilities and such using this method. ;)