Names

Patriot

Re: Names

Originally posted by Patriot

Anyone here use Names they get from here as Secret id for pcs or npcs?

What, like names of posters on the boards? No, but I do use the names of people who send me spam for the secret or public IDs of villains. Quite satisfying :) Yes, I realize that those names are all made up, but it's satisfying anyway.

I think it was Ben who I saw suggest that on the boards, and I've been using it since.

I always like the names heros and villians have in comic books. And I can pat myself on the back for the secret idenity of a few villians I have created for myself. Goldbug (Midus Mercery), Mr. Wicked (Reginal Wicked), and The Red Death (Edward Allen Lewis, taken from the old poet/writer Egard Allen Poe and infamous splater movie director Hershal Gorden Lewis, then morphed Egard to Edward to modenise it) are all names I can be proud of.

Anyone here use Names they get from here as Secret id for pcs or npcs?

I do I was just wondering

Nah, "Death Tribble Jones" or "Zornwil Smith" just sound strange to me. :)

Seriously, no, I don't use any real names I find conciously for secret Identies for characters. I'm actually more tempted by the handles as super heroe/villain names.

Beyond just ploting and thinking "what sounds right", when I need a good first name, I consult a nearest Babie's Name Dictnarie. Not only do thay give names, but also meanings as well. (By the way, do you know that Stanley means "He Who Is Born By A Pile Of Rocks"?)

I like the fun names for charcters. In my campaign is a female brick who looks like she is made of a large emerald. Her hero name is Gemstar. I gave her the secret ID name of Tiffany Glass.

Then in my online game I have a character named Cobalt. He is kind of like green lantern. Force powers and the like. He has a girlfriend that I named. Caroline Pharos. (Carol after Hal Jordans girlfriend and Pharos which while sounding close to Ferris is an alternate term for light or lantern). As you can see I have intersting taste in names.

My character Nemesis has a secret ID name of Lincoln Stern. Those of you old enough will remember that was the name of one of the characters in the movie "Heavy Metal".

That's my 2 cents.

Also, if you are looking for character naming programs then look at this link on Shelley Crystal Mactryre's board (under the Champions Hero links) it has some files from an old hero games BBS called Red October. While the programs are old they are also customizable for the lists that are used to generate the names. Hope you like the files.

http://www.mactyre.net/october/ROLEUTIL/Files.html

Bob Adams