How do you handle Str magic and End?

JLXC

If it costs 1 end per 5 Str and someone drinks a potion of Giant Strength +30 for example, even if they had 10 Str to begin with they would now spend 8 End per attack? This would quickly render a PC or Villian unable to fight. Especially if they had like 20 Str before the potion at 10 End per swing this would be insane. How do you GMs deal with this?

:eek:

Re: How do you handle Str magic and End?

I pretty much ignored END use in my fantasy campaign, except for Long Term END. The only people who had to worry about that particular bit of book-keeping were wizards, since all spellcasting cost LTE.

It worked out reasonably well, since it put limits on magic use and didn't bog down everyone else in accounting.

Id make the STR potion add STR with "Costs No End" advantage, and require that the added STR can only be used in addition to the character's regular STR, not instead of it. (As in, a 20 STR character who gains 20 more STR from the potion still spends 1 END per 5 STR used, up til 20 STR exerted, but exertions beyond 20 STR cost no additional END.)

You only get 2 STR for every 3 points of effect on the Aid, but it makes the potion a lot more useable. This could be the "Strength Potion Mk II" that the alchemist has concocted. His "Strength Potion Mk I" probably just add STR, and required prodigious END use to exert. There might still be a few around that he'd be willing to part with more cheaply, though... Not exactly a cursed item, but one with a tradeoff :)

I would allow that the Target does not have to pay END to use additional STR or other granted abilities, unless there was an additional -1/2 Limitation - Target costs END to use.

However, this has its own problems. Now, a +5 STR spell is much more useful. It grants the target the ability to lift 50kg (or 110 pounds) effortless as long as the spell lasts. But these are the same problems with a cheap magic item: +5 STR, 0 END, OIF - Belt of Lifting.

For my part, I've always found the END cost of STR to be one of the limiting factors for fighter types that allows spellcasters to be competitive with them. Big brawling warriors (who tend to gain the most benefit from STR enhancements) usually have higher CON, END and REC than wizards and their ilk. So, it really hasn't bothered me much, and my players recognize how these factors even out.

For my part' date=' I've always found the END cost of STR to be one of the limiting factors for fighter types that allows spellcasters to be competitive with them. Big brawling warriors (who tend to gain the most benefit from STR enhancements) usually have higher CON, END and REC than wizards and their ilk. So, it really hasn't bothered me much, and my players recognize how these factors even out.[/quote']

In my game, where all the PCs are spellcasters, I figure END as CON + EGO.

-AA

I tailor the spelland/or item to give the effect I want.

If I want the STR to be usable for a while, then I create it with 0 END built in.

If I want short term power then I leave it at normal end - in which case the user pays END.

As a side comment on the brawny brawler thing, I tend to track END use, to stop players carrying insane amounts or fighting endlessly. And as a result the brawny types often buy reduced END on their STR - or in one case (a muscular barbarian type) 0 END. Since I charge 2 points per point of STR, that's actually quite expensive, but it creates a character who can jog all day with plenty of gear and then plunge straight into combat and who can sneer at "effete, civilised" men, as they get tired in combat.

cheers, Mark

I run 1 END per 10 STR. :)

-AA

Me too. The "END Monster" was a problem in earlier editions of Hero Games. The END Monster was the systematic drain on a characters end, so much so that he could barely fight two turns without running on empty (burning stun instead).

I prefer the 10/1 rule myself.

A strength potion bought on charges would have no end cost for the Aid power' date=' not the aided power, I would say.[/quote']

Yes, so to be clear, you would still have to spend the END for STR. Your comment also assumes you are using the AID power, what about characteristics bought as a potion? That would still require end to use the STR, IMO.