Power Company or JLA: Which is your campaign?

RDU Neil

While my own descriptive preference is the Avengers, within the parameters you've set I guess my campaign would be Power Co. (with some JLA adventures thrown in). My heroes are nominally the second most powerful team on the planet. As such, they tend to deal with country-level threats. Some of the characters in the campaign have been around for 15 years, but I've found in general JLA make for a better read than adventure.

More of Power Company. That's by design. I'm one of the few comics fans in the group, and the rationale of a centralized organization handling the assignment of metahumans to investigations and operations is a bit more plausible.

Can't always rely on "Marvel Coincidence" to take place.

Hell, I'm running "Checkmate". But, Neil, since you play with me. Ya probably figured that one out. They ain't even Power Company level.

Just be thankful that Im not running "Suicide Squad"... although Fury could easily fit that role! .

But just to state my own preference... I like the Power Company level just fine. I would love to play in a Justice Leage level game (and I'm getting there with my Vector character), but it is a lot of work and it has such impact on the RDU. Unlike JL, which doesn't seem to have the impact on DCU that it should.

Originally posted by majorvictory

While my own descriptive preference is the Avengers, within the parameters you've set I guess my campaign would be Power Co. (with some JLA adventures thrown in). My heroes are nominally the second most powerful team on the planet. As such, they tend to deal with country-level threats. Some of the characters in the campaign have been around for 15 years, but I've found in general JLA make for a better read than adventure.

Exactly my take, Major Victory. I enjoy reading the JLA, but I get inspired to game by reading Power Company, or the Avengers. (No matter how George Perez does it, I will not be convinced by this upcoming JLA vs Avengers comic, if the JLA doesn't just walk all over the Avengers. They are just in a completely different power level, IMO.)

I should also state that I LOVE the Avengers. It is the one Marvel Comic I follow faithfully, through good and bad... I even have a beat up copy of #1. The Avengers, IMO, is the perfect "high level Champions" kind of superteam. (Storn, your Vector, along with Locke, Thermal, and Vengeance... are to the point where I think they could easily stand with the current Avengers. 500+ points or so, seems about right, IMO)

I just used JLA vs. Power Company, since they both exist in the same "universe" and folks around here often comment on Batman or Superman or the other "mega big gun" characters. This is panning out like I thought it would. Most games don't play in the mind bendingly over the top type, JLA level.

Some in our gaming group think Nobilis or Amber would be the way to play JLA. Forget points and dice... it's all in the concept. Not to my tastes, but could be interesting.

• 2 years later...

Re: Power Company or JLA: Which is your campaign?

My world has a JLA level team (the Justice Gang - the world's premiere hero team - NPCs) so most of the campaigns I've run in my world have teams more on calibre with Power Company. Still, not every threat can be handled by the biggest guns of the world, so every heroic effort counts in the good fight. Right?

I started my last champs game at 250.

A decade later it ended at abou 800.

I started Power Company. Ended JLA - down to base on the moon, cosmic challenges ect. I like both ends of play, but actualy prefer JLA style. I want the characters to be Myths incarnate. That is what sets superheroes apart from most other genres of play - they can, and do, make globally important decisions on a daily basis.

Neither. I play Avengers style - World's Most Powerful Team...but only deal in cosmic-level adventures on a rare basis. Just because you have the world's most powerful superteam - doesn't mean you have to all play Gods or something. Heck, if Robin the Boy Wonder lived in our world...he'd be the most powerful superhero alive. It's just a matter of scale.

The campaigns I've been in, the PCs are what you describe as the "Power Company" level. I've been in one which we were the JLA type, but this was back in the 250 game day and the PCs were 300 points! :rolleyes:

I wouldn't mind playing in a JLA type game (I'm currently in one where we're slightly above Power Company level, but nowhere near JLA; at least my character's not. I designed him to take out normals, but in record time).