What?? Bruce Wayne isn't Batman???

Mark Rand

Re: What?? Bruce Wayne isn't Batman???

Here's what I have, so far, on the staff and liaisons.

April Curtis, M.S. is Batman's engineer. An athletic-looking brunette, she's the daughter of a wealthy family, an electronics engineer, amateur race car driver, a former Olympic and college gymnast, and a skilled kunoichi, (or female ninja) who prefers working on equipment to fighting crime. Batman can occasionally talk her into assisting with a case.

Christing Hunter, M.S. is Batman's computer expert. A blue-eyed blonde, she is an expert swimmer.

Carol James, R.N., BSN., is the team's nurse. like April, she's a brunette and is a former cheerleader.

Nicole Avery is the team's CIA liaison and an expert in black-bag jobs. (Since 9/11 the CIA has been allowed to work in the United States on domestic terrorism cases.) An stage actress before joining the CIA, she's worn gloves all the time since playing a fashionable woman in a play set in Boston in 1902. (In this universe, gloves went out of style in the early 1970s, Dressy ones came back into style in 1979 and by 1985 women were wearing them with casual clothes.)

DOSPA liaison John Clark is a middle-aged bureaucrat.

The FBI hasn't assigned a liaison, but is planning to.

The PRIMUS liaison is Elena Mendez, a tall Hispanic woman with a law degree.

The liaisons have access to the Batcave, but work out of either Lady Arcane's house or the Federal Building.

The church has been identified. It is the Immanuel United Church of Christ. A blood drive was going on in the Multipurpose Room and a health fair was in progress in the Fellowship Hall.

The Islamic garb and various uniforms found in the buildings have been recovered and placed in a group of hotel rooms. (The heroes are given a list of what is in what room.)

Christine now always wears British Caledonian(sp) Airlines stewardess uniforms that were found there and Carol wears either white nurse's uniforms and a cap (usually) or blue and white student nurse's uniforms and a cap (occasionally) or a cheerleader's uniform (rarely) instead of scrubs.

Batman and Batgirl are skilled in armed and unarmed combat, deduction, forensics and various skills used by nocternal superheroes. However, neither is skilled in in either computer science or engineering.

Batman, Bruce Wilson, is a karate expert. Barbara, his half Japanese wife, is skilled in ninjitsu and is April's blood sister. (Barbara's mother was their gymnastics coach and ninjitsu instructor.) The two women often spar together. Although they both know The Nine Ways of Cutting, from The Ultimate Martial Artist, April is still trying to teach Barbara The Path of the Shadow's Companion, from Fu Schticks for Champions on Mike Surbrook's site.

The current Batcave and penthouse are fine, if I use Pittsburgh. If I use a version of Gothan where the renaming of areas for DC staffers never occurred, Bruce, Barbara and their housekeeper, Marie, will live in a mansion and a different Batcave, possibly bassed on the old Wayne Manor one, will be used.

Suggestions as to which city would be welcome.

This concept puts me in mind of the limited series Superman: Secret Identities, by Kurt Busiek and Sturart Immomen. In a world just like this one, where Superman is a ficticious character, a young man with the name Clark Kent--yes, his parents named him that--wakes up in the middle of the night to discover he has all the powers.

Yes--Clark Kent is Superman. And while he uses the powers to secretly do good deeds, he does them while wearing a Superman costume--for while people might believe that a super-strong flying man is out there saving people's lives, who would believe there really is a Superman?

And that's all I'll say about the story, except that you should go and read it. Go now.

This concept puts me in mind of the limited series Superman: Secret Identities, by Kurt Busiek and Sturart Immomen. In a world just like this one, where Superman is a ficticious character, a young man with the name Clark Kent--yes, his parents named him that--wakes up in the middle of the night to discover he has all the powers.

Yes--Clark Kent is Superman. And while he uses the powers to secretly do good deeds, he does them while wearing a Superman costume--for while people might believe that a super-strong flying man is out there saving people's lives, who would believe there really is a Superman?

And that's all I'll say about the story, except that you should go and read it. Go now.

Ditto. Good series. A little "Astro City" in the DCU.

I've been toying with a proposal for "Champions Orphanage"' date=' a collection of writeups for the characters and groups Steve has emphatically decided aren't part of the 5th Edition Champions Universe like CLOWN, Neutral Ground, Terror Inc., or any other "no-no's" I'm unaware of an official word on (like DeathStroke and VOICE). It could also be used as a vehicle for characters the playerbase wants but may not fit certain aspects of the modern CU (like previous Champion members, Ambrosia, etc.).[/quote']

I would buy that. I'd love to see some of the missing old favorites, especially the characters from "Champions of the North" (if copyrights aren't a problem). Great idea, TE.

I guess in this universe DC doesn't have lawyers or care about some vigillante dressing up as one of their characters beating people up?

This in itself could be a great Hunted ( or Watched)

I have a character in my Universe that believes he is the Lone Ranger reincarnated. So that's his theme, costume, etc.

Well, Paramount Pictures sued...

Then he realized that "Keemosabee" isn't Trademarked. :stupid:

But he still has to be careful:

Policeman: "So, Lone Ranger, what's your opinion-"

Keemosabee: "I am legally obligated to ask you not to call me that."

I love C.L.O.W.N, even had a Hero apply for membership. His pledge prank was putting up signs directing people to the Arizona State Garbage dump, Also known as the Grand Canyon, The park was wondering why the heck all the garbage trucks were showing up and wanting to know where to unload

Also like Neutral Ground & Voice, There are several other good characters from the enemies books that haven't showed up as well.

I once set a Campaign at NEUTRAL GROUND!!!!!!

(The PCs were the ones charged to keep order)

I LOVE that place.

I have the old supplement still, But I would LOVE :love: an even minimal 5th ed update.

There must be LOADS of such characters that Steve could update without actual supplementation. How about in HD?

Vex, I like your elseworld Bruce Wayne/Batman. I'm not sure, however, what the GCPD will think of the energy carbine.

The orignial Wayne Manor Batcave is the one I'd use for this Batman with all the workshop facilities on the top floor. This would leave a bit more space for the gymnasium.

The gate would allow access to what the Batcave doesn't provide, medical facilities, a library and extra living quarters, as well as access to Lady Arcane's house for the support staff and government liaison. (As far as the general public knows, they assist Lady Arcane, not Batman.)

April's usual garb is a long-sleeve khaki jumpsuit. On the rare occasions when she joins the team, her black garb (which includes clawed gloves0 looks like that of a cat burglar and she goes by the name Spirit Cat and uses a Japanese accent. (After many years of living with a Japanese family, she can easily mimic the accent.)

Christine is a black woman with braided hair. She decided to wear the British Caledonian stewardess uniform (including white gloves) that was found in the living quarters because she liked the look.

Mariko, the nurse, who originally wore scrubs, now wears white uniforms and a cap out of respect for her late mother, a nurse, and because, after trying them on, she liked how she looked in them.

The only federal liaison is Denise Dumont, a blue-eyed blonde, is a skilled stage actress who worked, for the CIA, as a black-bag jobs expert before joining the DOSPA. She always wears gloves because she loves doing so (a one-point quirk) She started wearing them while preparing to play a fashionable lady in 1906 Boston. (In this universe, gloves are in style for even the most casual clothes.) In the cave, she usually wears a jumpsuit identical to April's, but has been seen wearing a 1961 American Airlines stewardess uniform that once belonged to her maternal grandmother. When she goes out into the field, she, like April, dresses like a cat burglar and backs the engineer/ninja up.

Vex' date=' I like your elseworld Bruce Wayne/Batman. I'm not sure, however, what the GCPD will think of the energy carbine.[/quote']

This version of Batman is relatively brand new, having been a hero for only a few months. The GCPD does not like him or his friends, although they do occasionally ask Oracle or Nightwing (and Robin, his semi-intelligent hover board) for help.

This is really a send up of the Batman from Batman:Year One, where he actually carried pistols and was more of a pulp vigilante.

I was thinking of a year one Batman and Batgirl in the CU, with ideas borrowed from The Satan Bug (a movie from the 1960s), Charmed, Buffy the Vampire Slayer (post Season seven and the Bureau 13 stories.

Some contribute a lot, some don't. Don't worry. We'll get to them. Alfred has been replaced by Marie.

In order to get help gathering a support staff, a group of like-minded heroes, and, possibly, a federal liaison, Batman and Batgirl talk to their friend Lady Arcane. who is well-known to the government. She is willing to talk to her federal liaison and see what can be done. She also agrees to hire the staff members Batman selects and creates a gate in each base that leads to a hall that also leads to other areas, most of which were on a world whose population is now dead. The Powers that Be made sure the world was decontaminated. (The Powers, from Buffy, may also be known as The Higher Powers, from Bureau 13 and the Elders, from Charmed.

The release of the Satan Bug, from the movie of the same name, was responsible for the deaths.

In this and the next few posts, we'll tour the Gotham City area. Today, we go to the tracks.

North of the city and Bristol Township are Gotham Downs, Gotham Kennel Club Dog Track and Gotham Motor Speedway.

Gotham Downs is a thoroughbred track. It has a 7/8 mile grass track inside a one mile dirt track. The parade marshall wears English-style clothes and her houses, white Arabians, wear English tack.

The Gotham Kennel Club Dog Track is typical of greyhound tracks. The lure has been nicknamed "Long Ears".

Gotham Motor Speedway is a one mile paved oval with a 1.51-mile internal road course. The owner has no interest in hosting amateur races.

West of the city and Sommerset Township are Gotham Park and Gotham Raceway.

Gotham Park is a 5/8 mile harness track with an all-weather (limestone) surface. The parade marshall wears western clothes and her horses. leopard appaloosa (white with dark spots all over) mares, wear western tack.

Gotham Raceway has four tracks, a 2.99-mile natural terrain road course, a drag strip, a half-mile oval and a go-kart track. The track has three industrial areas. The first, in the road course's external paddock, is home to Conlin Racing and Engineering, a garage for the track's support vehicles and a garage for the track's racing school's cars. The second is a group of fast food and casual dining restaraunts. The third area consists. so far, of the track's administration building, the racing school's building RaceGear, a company that sells racing equipment and supplies and RaceGraphics, which makes custom decals for race cars.

Robinson Park is home to a 2.33-mile temporary street circuit that'll be used once a year for the Gotham Vintage Car Grand Prix. The first one will be held shortly after the campaign starts.

This time, we visit Gotham's nightlife, to be exact, a few bars and clubs.

I have The Daily Planet Guide to Gotham City for West End Games's DC Universe RPG beside me. It's a good guide to Gotham.

Belly dance fans go to the Falcon's Rest and Zorba's. The Falcon's Rest, in Scheldon Park is a Middle-Eastern nightclub. They have, according to their ads, the finest belly dancers in the country. Zorba's, in Chelsea, is a Greek bar, has, as many claim, the best belly dancers in the city. The ones that dance there regularly include Salome, a 17-year old dancer who wears long gloves with her regular costumes and does The Dance of the Seven Veils when the Gotham Opera Company presents Salome, Nura, her mother and Safura, their teacher.

Danny's, in Chelsea, is one of the better jazz bars. The Jazz Angels are there Thursday through Sunday nights.

The Succubus Club, in Sheldon Park is a favorite of the Goth scene.

Magic fans go to the Cabaret of Magic, a supper club in Chelsea.

The Gotham City area has three major universities, Gotham State University in Chelsea, Glendale Institute of Technology in Glendale and the University of Gotham, in Sommerset Township.

The area is also home to many sports teams and facilities.

The New Gotham Square Garden is home to the Gotham Blades (NHL), the Gotham Guardsmen (NBA) and the Gotham Valkyries (WNBA).

The recently built Gotham Stadium (near the Wayne Botanical Gardens) is home to the Gotham Wildcats (NFL).

The Knights Dome is home to the Gotham Knights (MLB-AL).

Sommerset Stadium is home to the Gotham Monarchs (MLB-NL).

The Gotham Ice Arena in Summerset Township has two rinks, one used for figure skating and one for ice hockey.

Next time, we'll look at observatories and planetariums.

The Gotham City area has two planetariums.

The Gotham Planetarium, on the Gotham State University Campus, is a state of the art facility. They've gotten rid of their Zeiss Mark II planetarium projector and their Siterostat telescope. The sky shows are now projected by a computer-controlled video projection system. (Gotham State University is also known as Gotham City university and Gotham University.)

The Sommerset Planetarium is located on the University of Gotham's campus. It now owns the Zeiss Mark II planetarium projector (nicknamed George) and the Siterostat telescope that once belonged to the gotham planetarium. Both are used daily. (When viewing the Sun through the Siterostat telescope, the image is projected on a white screen.) They also webcast solar and lunar eclipses to the public and display the images on monitors in the galleries, the Little Science Theatre (their lecture hall) and the basement club rooms. For solar eclipses, a video camera is clipped to the telescope and aimed at the screen. For lunar eclipses, a 10-inch Schmidt-Cassigrain telescope is placed on the building's flat roof and the camera is connected to it.

Twenty miles west of Gotham City is the town of Hayden, which is home to Gotham Park, Gotham Raceway and the New Jersey Cruciform Array, a omplex of nine stationary radiotelescope dishes, five mobile radiotelescope dishes and a 20-inch optical telescope. The mobile telescopes roll along a 3.53 by 3.17 mile cross-shaped set of tracks.

Comments on the tour of the Gotham area are requested.

We'll tour the Batcave itself next.

The Batcave, located below Wayne Manor, is home to Batman and his associates It has three entrances in Wayne manor itself, an elevator that bypasses the secret basement room (of course, you have to know how to access the cave from the manor), a staircase behind the grandfather clock in Bruce's study that leads to the hidden basement room and the staircase behind one set of library shelves that also leads there.

The secret basement room holds the Batcave's library and makeup and disguise equipment.

The main floor has a complete workshop, turntable that holds the Batmobile, parking spaces for other vehicles, the crime lab, a restroom and the gate to Lady Arcane's house and other places.

Sub-level one holds the gymnasium, trophy room, power and machinary room, a restroom, and the Batcomputer.

Sub-level two holds an underground river that team members swim in.

The team itself consists of Batman (Bruce Wayne), Robin (Dick Grayson), Batgirl ([Alfred's neice] Barbara Wilson, who uses the Cassandra Cain costume) and Spirit Cat (engineer/ninja Keiko Nakamura, who prefers working on gear to fighting crime, but sometimes can be talked into going out with the others).

Knowing that they are mortal and their fight could last forever, Batman has started recruting beginning heroes that he can train. Yes, Batman can be stubern and Robin is often cocky and acts before he thinks, but Batgirl and Spirit Cat can be easy to get along with. Although asked, Lady Arcane decided not to join the team because she deals with mystical threats, not normal ones.