What?? Bruce Wayne isn't Batman???

Mark Rand

I know we've kicked Batman around on these threads, but here's a strange twist on him.

In the campaign universe, DC's Batman is a comic book hero.

It does, however, inspire a wealthy young man who is in good physical shape to take up the Dark Knight's mantle. Unlike Bruce, he has no problem working with other heroes, including mages, or the government. Oh, instead of a butler, he has a maid. She knows his secret and, like Alfred, is very practical.

I have Gadeget and Gear and know it has some cool stuff in it.

Comments? Questions? Ideas?

Re: What?? Bruce Wayne isn't Batman???

You want to talk a strange take on Batman -- there's a certain 4th Edition Champions character who will not appear in 5th Edition CU as long as Steve Long is in charge. I've long run this character as the CU equivalent of Batman, even to the point of renaming his Secret ID Bruce. He doesn't have powers, just a keen mind and great agility, and I'm not talking about Foxbat.

His name is Andrew. Merry Andrew.

You want to talk a strange take on Batman -- there's a certain 4th Edition Champions character who will not appear in 5th Edition CU as long as Steve Long is in charge. I've long run this character as the CU equivalent of Batman, even to the point of renaming his Secret ID Bruce. He doesn't have powers, just a keen mind and great agility, and I'm not talking about Foxbat.

His name is Andrew. Merry Andrew.

Merry Andrew. SL dislikes Merry Andrew? I LOVE C.L.O.W.N.!!!!

We need to start a petition to have 5th ED CLOWN produced in a cutting edge, state of the art book.

and it will throw a creme pie at you!

Hawksmoor

Nighthawk's character sheet would do for Batman's characteristics and skills. The gear he always carries can be represented by a multipower with a VPP representing the gear he doesn't always carry. The disadvantages and story will probably need to be changed, too. Plus, I have to build a Batmobile and Batcave. Good thing I'm not going to have a point limit for my characters.

For those who don't know, according to an artical I read in a Digital Hero, I forgot which one, the idea of a specific point total came from RPG gaming's wargaming roots, where the characters were equal.

Merry Andrew. SL dislikes Merry Andrew? I LOVE C.L.O.W.N.!!!!

We need to start a petition to have 5th ED CLOWN produced in a cutting edge, state of the art book.

and it will throw a creme pie at you!

Hawksmoor

Point the first: I think it's probably more accurate to say he feels that CLOWN is out of place for the tone he's trying to create for his Champions Universe. I disagree with him, but it's his product :D CLOWN has been misused by enough GM's that they don't have as many friends as you might think if you're new to the board (insert "use CLOWN to make fun of society not the PC's" crack here).

Point the second: Actually, there's a possible mutually-beneficial solution here. I've been toying with a proposal for "Champions Orphanage", a collection of writeups for the characters and groups Steve has emphatically decided aren't part of the 5th Edition Champions Universe like CLOWN, Neutral Ground, Terror Inc., or any other "no-no's" I'm unaware of an official word on (like DeathStroke and VOICE). It could also be used as a vehicle for characters the playerbase wants but may not fit certain aspects of the modern CU (like previous Champion members, Ambrosia, etc.).

It would have to be published with the strict understanding that it's "unsupported" -- that these writeups are being put out there for the fans that want them/want to use them for their campaigns but that they aren't canon.

We'd have our characters, and Steve would have a money-making product. I'm sure there are probably questions as to the rights of some characters (like Ambrosia, who I'd *really* like to see with a proper writeup) but I'm reasonably sure it would be something the playerbase would buy.

That's a clever idea! Just publish them, updated, and say up front "There will be no support for these characters and you won't see them in supplements!"

Great idea! Now where's that dang reputation button...

I know we've kicked Batman around on these threads, but here's a strange twist on him.

It does, however, inspire a wealthy young man who is in good physical shape to take up the Dark Knight's mantle. Unlike Bruce, he has no problem working with other heroes, including mages, or the government. Oh, instead of a butler, he has a maid. She knows his secret and, like Alfred, is very practical.

I guess in this universe DC doesn't have lawyers or care about some vigillante dressing up as one of their characters beating people up?

I like that idea, too. The Zodiac would be another one to include there. I also liked CLOWN, but the GM needs to remember the fine line that exists between humor and humiliation. One of my PCs had a newspaper personals flirtation with Merry Andrew because she played along with one of his jokes (I mean, it didn't hurt anything!).

Sigh, we'll always have lupines ....

I like that idea, too. The Zodiac would be another one to include there. I also liked CLOWN, but the GM needs to remember the fine line that exists between humor and humiliation. One of my PCs had a newspaper personals flirtation with Merry Andrew because she played along with one of his jokes (I mean, it didn't hurt anything!).

Sigh, we'll always have lupines ....

LOL! :love:

Come to me my sweet. We shall have it all. The gag pillows, the fake vomit, the joy buzzers, I shall lay the city at your feet my sweet. Of course the city with be rolling around with a stich in its side from laughing BUT it shall be at your little pink painted piggy toes.

Hawksmoor

-wondering where *that* came from

I love C.L.O.W.N, even had a Hero apply for membership. His pledge prank was putting up signs directing people to the Arizona State Garbage dump, Also known as the Grand Canyon, The park was wondering why the heck all the garbage trucks were showing up and wanting to know where to unload :D

Also like Neutral Ground & Voice, There are several other good characters from the enemies books that haven't showed up as well.

I guess in this universe DC doesn't have lawyers or care about some vigillante dressing up as one of their characters beating people up?

Offenses include:

Assault and Battery

Breaking and Entering

Unauthorized Access

Copyright Infringement!

Good point.

We know that there are an infinate number of universes. He could be the Batman in the CU or a close analog. He's a lot like Bruce, but he isn't paranoid and he doesn't mind working with other superheroes, including mages, and the government.

Let's see, he owns a building in the city's central business district and lives, along with his wife and their housekeeper, in the penthouse apartment. His wife is his Batgirl and her costume resembles Cassandra Cain's. Their Batcave is 200 feet below the building and resembles the Wayne Foundation Batcave.

More on it later.

What if your universe's Batman was actually quite ineffective but didn't realise it. What if his maid patrols the streets behinds him and actually saves the day eg a wellplaced batarang to the villain creeping up on Batman,

What if your universe's Batman was actually quite ineffective but didn't realise it. What if his maid patrols the streets behinds him and actually saves the day eg a wellplaced batarang to the villain creeping up on Batman' date='[/quote']

Very funny.

What if your universe's Batman was actually quite ineffective but didn't realise it. What if his maid patrols the streets behinds him and actually saves the day eg a wellplaced batarang to the villain creeping up on Batman' date='[/quote']

Hmmm. I'd pay for LOTS of points in follower for someone to bail out my Bacon.

This is however an excellent character idea. It would best be a NPC that the PCs have to deal with, and likely an aging character that just does not know it is time to quit. Kinda like a superpowered Paul MacCartney or the Rolling Stones.

Hawksmoor

Bruce Wayne is Agent 86??? I would love to see someone play a character like Get Smart.... It would be painful and fun at the same time.

One of my players is playing a elseworld Bruce Wayne. The origin is the same up until Bruce Wayne saw his dad beat up a bunch of thugs that tried to rob his family after they left the opera. This world's Bruce Wayne grew up without the same bitterness and hatred, but did train in Martial Arts. At some point unknown the Bruce he gained the ability to compress his body (Shrinking and Density Increase) or expand his body (Invisibility and Desolidification), he thinks he is a mutant, but I may "change" that. While in college his parents were killed and he started focussing on justice at that point. I am toying with making Alfred Pennyworth the "original" Batman.

Just in Case Anyone Cares

Here is the version for my campaign....

Bat-Man

20 Str x1 – 10

20 Dex x3 – 30

20 Con x2 – 20

15 Body x2 – 10

18 Int x1 – 8

17 Ego x2 – 14

20 Pre x1 – 10

14 Com x1/2 – 2

8 Pd x1 4 4

8 Ed x1 4 4

5 Spd x10 3.0 20

8 Rec x2 8 0

40 End x1/2 40 0

35 Stun x1 35 0

75 Size Changing Multipower - 75 point Reserve

6 u Compression - 4 Levels of Shrinking - 4.5” Tall, -8 PER, -8 DCV, +12”KB (50 AP, Costs End Only to Activate +1/4, 50 RP) and 4 Levels of Density Increase - +20 Str, -4”KB, +4 Pd/Ed (25 AP, Costs End Only to Activate +1/4, Linked to Shrinking -1/2, 16 RP)

6 u Expansion - Desolidification, vulnerable to Molecular Attacks, Magic and Air Attacks (40 AP) and Invisibility to Sight (20 AP, Bright Fringe -1/4, Linked to Desolidification -1/2, 11 RP) and Expanded Awareness - +5 to PER for all Sense Groups (15 AP, Linked to Desolidification -1/2, 10 RP)

20 Flight - 10” Flight, x2 NCM (20 AP)

10 Sonar (15AP, Costs Endurance to Use +1/2)

20 Bat Armor - 10 Pd/10 Ed Resistant (30AP, OIF -1/2)

20 Energy Carbine - 8d6 Armour Piercing EB - Range 300”/18” (60 AP, Armour Piercing +1/2, 12 Charges -0, OAF -1, Ranged Reduced by Shrinking, must multiply range x16 for Modifiers -1/2)

5 Extra Energy Carbine

9 Athletic Skills - Acrobatics 14-, Breakfall 14-, Stealth 14-

11 Skill Familiarities - Concealment 8-, Criminology 8-, Deduction 8-, Forensic Medicine 8-, Interrogation 8-, Lockpicking 8-, Security Systems 8-, Shadowing 8-, Streetwise 8-, Mechanics 8-, Electronics 8-

10 Knowledge Skills - KS: Psychology 13-, KS: Sociology 13-, KS: Archaeology 13-, KS: History 13-, Area Knowledge: Gotham City 13-

13 Martial Arts - Flying Dodge (+0/+4), Martial Strike (+0/+2 - 6d6 or 10d6), Charge (+0/-2 - 6d6+v/5 or10d6+v/5)

6 +2 Combat Skill Levels with Martial Arts

7 Follower - Oracle Computer - Stats (39): 10 Dex, 23 Int, 18 Ego, 2 Spd, Powers (32): High Radio Perception , Universal Translater, Eidetic Memory, Speed Reading x10. Programs (5): Diagnoss Malfunctions, Play Entertainment, Run Research, Scan Info, Send/Recieve Data. Skills 14- (58): KS:Games, Music, Films, Literatures, TV Shows, World History, American History, Heroes, Criminals, Laws, PS: Lawyer, Navigation, Analyze: Technology, Criminology, Deduction, Forensic Medicine, Security System, Systems Operations, Mechanics, Crytopgraphy, Electronics, Computer Programming, Inventor - Disadvantages: Hunted by Blockbuster (11-, As Powerful, NCI, Extensive, Harsh), Protective of Bruce Wayne (Common, Major), Secretly in Love with Bruce Wayne (Frequent, Slightly), Rival with all Pretty Girls (Professional, Superior), Electricity and Magnetic Powers Force Her to Shut Down (Uncommon), Secret Identity - Barbara Gordon,

10 DNPC: Alfred Pennyworth (Normal, 11-)

25 Hunted by Joker (14-, As Powerful, NCI, Extensive, Harsh)

25 Hunted by Bane (14-, As Powerful, NCI, Extensive, Harsh)

20 Driven by Parent’s Death (Common, Total)

20 Code Against Killing (Common, Moderate)

10 Protective of Gotham City (Common, Moderate)

15 Reputation - Dark Knight (11-, Extreme)

10 Rival - Superman (Professional, Superior)

15 Secret Identity - Bruce Wayne

Note that in the campaign intro, Barbara Gordon is Oracle, not Batgirl. She had cyberkinesis and used a powersuit similar to Batman Beyond and was killed by Blockbuster for stealing all of his money and interferring with his plans. While dying she downloaded her conciousness into Bruce Wayne's Gauntlet mounted computer.

As promised, here's the information on the Wayne Foundation Batcave. I'm basing my size estimate on an isometric drawing in the DC Heroes Batman Sourcebook from Mayfair, dated 1989.

Along the north side are the main shop, vehicle shop (where the elevator from Bruce's penthouse exits), den, and computer room. Along the south side are the Batmobile's parking spot, trophy room and crime lab. The Batmobile's exit is on the west side.

Our version is slightly different. The two shops are now one and the den also serves as the team's library and meeting room. There's also a gate in the east wall. We'll go there next.

This sounds a lot like Jack in the Box from Astro City. Actually' date=' I guess JitB is more of a Spiderman type, but I like the toy-based gadgeteer hero idea.[/quote']

There was a pretty cool take on Batman where three kids related their own versions of Batman, each of which was an aspect of Batman's persona (the almost supernatural crimefighter, the detective, the gadgeteer if I recall correctly)...

And so none of them believed that Bats was who he said he was when he appeared. They even saw through the costume and told Bruce Wayne to quit joshin' around..

I think it would be awesome to have some of the older groups and villians that DOJ as decided don't fit their new universe layout. I'm betting that there are lots of GMs that would like to have the stats for their campaigns.

DOJ could start a "non-Offical or outside the Universe" line of books or even PDFs

As promised last time, we're going through the gate.

Gate A takes us to a hall with two doores on each side and one at the end.

The first one on the left, Gate B, leads to a first aid room, complete with cot, treatment chair, sink, cabinets, desk and chair.

The first on the right, Gate C, leads to a Japenese garden, complete with lake, bridges and a tea house.

The second on the left takes us to a rec center that features a pool, gymnasium with running track, racquetball courts, a weight room and other features, On the board behind the desk is a message from the cheerleader coach reminding her team to pickup their new uniforms, indicating that the woman in the photograph is modeling a uniform and stating that she's the coach's daughter and a new member of the squad. A nearby newspaper states that The United States and Saudi Arabia are at war over the Saudi government's decision to pull all of its funds out of all the banks in the United States.

The second door on the right leads to the Black Diamond Hotel and a church. A signboard on the wall announces that the state's Islamic women's group is meeting in the conference rooms. According to the newspapers in the gift shop, it's October 1982 and the United States is about to invade Cuba over the missile crisis and will sink any Soviet ship that tries to run the blockade. Activities in the church and its name are still undecided.

The door at the end of the hall leads to Lady Arcane's house. Only staff members and government liaisons can go through it.

Next, we meet the staff and liaisons. The information about the church will be posted when compiled.

There was a pretty cool take on Batman where three kids related their own versions of Batman, each of which was an aspect of Batman's persona (the almost supernatural crimefighter, the detective, the gadgeteer if I recall correctly)...

And so none of them believed that Bats was who he said he was when he appeared. They even saw through the costume and told Bruce Wayne to quit joshin' around..

intreastingly that episode of the animated series parodies the various ages of the comic book the best bit is the girls story which is basically taken straight from the Dark Knight Returns.

intreastingly that episode of the animated series parodies the various ages of the comic book the best bit is the girls story which is basically taken straight from the Dark Knight Returns.

I doesn't parody them, it pays homage. Only one guy gets made fun of: while the kids are talking they pass a kid in front of a Shoemaker store. He mentions how much he loves Batman's rubber suit, and how he hears the Batmobile can drive up walls. The other kids respond "Yeah, whatever, Joel," and go on.

Patrick J McGraw