Longest Running Thread EVER

Re: Longest Running Thread EVER

Linux save us! :eek:

Well, there is a fortran compiler there as well. You just can't get away from it. In it's defense, it's a good language for math. (or it was the last time I checked, the last time I programmed in it was 1980. Though I did modify some fortran in the late 80s...)

Well' date=' except for the fortran bit...[/quote']Zorn said realism aside. An everyday person wouldn't be programming in Fortran. Well perhapts they would to reset the toaster each morning.

if I remember correctly the picture said that not everyone would own one of their "PCs". I guess he was talking (marketing) to the Linux crowd.

But you'd finally have a place to put an airbag.

I have a recent copy of Discover magazine with an article on the computer museum out in California (Palo Alto, I think). One of the pictures is a big air traffic controller console with a built in cigarette lighter.

Makes me want to get one of these.

I use fortran everyday here at work... :( Are company database is an archaic VMS system that runs via a telnet session. Someday we'll hopefully update it, but until then fortran reigns on. By the way, there is a recent update available if you are interested. ;)

Zorn said realism aside. An everyday person wouldn't be programming in Fortran. Well perhapts they would to reset the toaster each morning.

if I remember correctly the picture said that not everyone would own one of their "PCs". I guess he was talking (marketing) to the Linux crowd.

Hey! I'm an everday person! :D

Guest Skaramine

How on Earth did you guys end up getting into this conversation? No' date=' wait, I don't want to know.[/quote']

Picture of what people in the 1950's thought a home computer would look like.

It had a steering wheel.

Guest Skaramine

You really don't want to throw that question out to an internet board...

-AA

Mmm. So she's either hot, or you're into wrinkles and saggy boobs.

Both viable internet fetishes. :whistle:

Guest Skaramine

I hate to be the splash of cold water:

Snopes has debunked this. It turns out this is an image of a submarine maneuvering room console that was modified for a submission to a competition on fark.com

Doesn't mean I wouldn't like a steering wheel on my computer, though.

Snopes is good for determining whether or not to continue shopping at Target or buying Ubi-Soft games because of some right wing thug's anti-French meandering boycott.

However, when it comes to cool shizzle like giant home computers in Fortran, he sucks mightily, because he takes the fun out of life. :(

I hate to be the splash of cold water:

Snopes has debunked this. It turns out this is an image of a submarine maneuvering room console that was modified for a submission to a competition on fark.com

Doesn't mean I wouldn't like a steering wheel on my computer, though.

Pfah, I think the submarine picture was doctored from the 1954 Rand Corp picture... :whistle:

:doi: