Longest Running Thread EVER

Re: Longest Running Thread EVER

OK, I remember that now. There is much confusion in the naming of the large northern deer species.

The animal USers call "moose", the Europeans call "elk" or variations on that name. The animal USers call "elk" -- also called wapiti -- is another large deer, of which no form appears in Europe. And the animal called reindeer is called caribou in North America.

Found this interesting from a former professor of physics in Canada:

“[T]he majority of politicians, on the evidence available to us, are interested not in truth but in power and in the maintenance of that power. To maintain that power it is essential that people remain in ignorance, that they live in ignorance of the truth, even the truth of their own lives. What surrounds us therefore is a vast tapestry of lies, upon which we feed.”

– Harold Pinter, Nobel Lecture (Literature), 2005

The maintenance of the hierarchical structures that control our lives depends on Pinter’s “vast tapestry of lies upon which we feed.” Therefore the main institutions that embed us into the hierarchy, such as schools, universities, and mass media and entertainment corporations, have a primary function to create and maintain this tapestry. This includes establishment scientists and all service intellectuals in charge of “interpreting” reality.

In fact, the scientists and “experts” define reality in order to bring it into conformation with the always-adapting dominant mental tapestry of the moment. They also invent and build new branches of the tapestry that serve specific power groups by providing new avenues of exploitation. These high priests are rewarded with high class status.

~~~

Denis G. Rancourt was a tenured and full professor at the University of Ottawa in Canada. He was trained as a physicist and practiced physics, Earth sciences, and environmental science, areas in which he was funded by a national agency and ran an internationally recognized laboratory. He published over 100 articles in leading scientific journals. He developed popular activism courses and was an outspoken critic of the university administration and a defender of Palestinian rights. He was fired for his dissidence in 2009 by a president who is a staunch supporter of Israeli policy.

Though that "high class status" is changing' date=' as the intelligensia has this habit of finding physical phenomena that are proving inconvenient for some very rich and powerful interests.[/quote']

That is very encouraging news.

Though that "high class status" is changing' date=' as the intelligentsia has this habit of finding physical phenomena that are proving inconvenient for some very rich and powerful interests.[/quote']

Like what?

What physical phenomena? What rich and powerful interests?

Anthropogenic being a fancy way of saying "Human caused". Which personally I don't buy.

I haven't made up my mind about it, but the massive amounts of money being spent on preventing any rational discussion of the issue in the public media raises my hackles. It reminds me of the PR rear-guard action fought by Big Tobacco over lung cancer, and as someone who has done cancer epidemiology professionally for a while, that kind of PR campaign is strictly to preserve money and power, and with willful disregard for human life and misery.