Longest Running Thread EVER

Re: Longest Running Thread EVER

As someone sure to join the zombies if it happens, ... naah.

On an entirely different topic, we got two new kittens to foster yesterday. Fuzzy little brown tabbies. And of the previous litter we had, three of the four have been adopted now.

It once was' date=' but that is no longer the case. Back when I lived there, Fairchild AFB outside Spokane was the #3 base to be hit when the missiles came over the pole. But the SAC squadron of B-52's is no longer based there. So while it's still a target, it's been pushed down on the priority list.[/quote']

Best of my knowledge Tinker AFB is still home to all of those AWACS, so presumably still has a bright red target painted on it. Not that I live anywhere near it anymore...

No' date=' you live someplace warm, right? ^^[/quote']

Oh, Oklahoma is pretty warm during most of the year. Gets hotter than where I currently am at the worst. But Oklahoma also has what is recognizable to me as winter. The Bay Area doesn't. You get a fairly long, warmer than I'd like summer (we had temps in the 90s last week), which leads into a very mild autumn which seems to lead directly into a mildish spring.

I miss Minnesota winters. Heck, I'd settle for Denver winters...

Aren't those where the snow never actually touches the ground?

Not sure which ones you mean. Both Denver and Minnesota get snow, though Denver doesn't get anywhere near as much as a lot of people seem to think. A time or two every decade they'll get a storm that drops 20+ inches in 24 hours. Oklahoma gets snow, though often not much. The problem there is that it gets warm enough to melt it during the day, so it then re-freezes at night.

Here in the Bay Area it just doesn't snow. Or really ever get cold enough to snow. I've worked with people out here that would start shivering and putting on sweaters when it would drop below 80F.

Yeesh' date=' only 27C? You guys are wimps.[/quote']

... How about -5F as the peak temp in Jan/Feb, and just over an hour of sunlight? ^^

As do I. :) The difference is that I live in a place where for significant portions of the year it doesn't even get that cool at night...

Aw, nooo, please stop ...

Now I've got to go change my shirt.

-5C isn't pleasant, but I can deal with it. Your low is probably down around -15C.

Of course, such conditions so rare here in Seattle that most buildings aren't constructed to deal with it well, but as long as you keep an eye on your plumbing it usually is OK.

We're at 47 degrees 40 minutes or so, so it's quite noticeable. We get down to 8 and a half hours of daylight in December, up to 16 hours in June. Nothing compared to what you mention, I admit, but we certainly notice.

I happened to catch Amazing Race last night, and they went to Sweden and ended on the Norwegian border. It was "summer" there, with snow on the ground still, and one of their activities was riding a sled. Of course they were at or near the Arctic Circle I think, but it still amazes me how a group of people could look at an area covered in snow all year round and go, "Hm... this looks like a good place to settle down." I can't imagine trying to farm in land like that.

Here in the Bay Area it just doesn't snow. Or really ever get cold enough to snow. I've worked with people out here that would start shivering and putting on sweaters when it would drop below 80F.

Must not be coastal people. Our house ranged from 20F to 80F most years depending on the season, and usually summer was 60-70F. (And then if you swam in the Pacific, you better have a decent cold tolerance...)

of course where I'm at temps run typically 15-110F, but it's dry so not as noticeable. I felt hotter in New Orleans at 75F than here at 95F.

It's been dropping more snow the last two years, not sure if I'm too keen on that. More whining from people happens.

Must not be coastal people. Our house ranged from 20F to 80F most years depending on the season' date=' and usually summer was 60-70F. (And then if you swam in the Pacific, you better have a decent cold tolerance...)[/quote']

The people in specific I was thinking of were up in Folsom, but I've seen people wearing heavy jackets and otherwise acting like they were cold when it was 75 or 80 degrees outside in San Francisco.

of course where I'm at temps run typically 15-110F, but it's dry so not as noticeable. I felt hotter in New Orleans at 75F than here at 95F.

It's been dropping more snow the last two years, not sure if I'm too keen on that. More whining from people happens.

Yeah, give me a dry 95 over a humid 75 any day. Though my preferred is a humid 40 or lower...

I happened to catch Amazing Race last night' date=' and they went to Sweden and ended on the Norwegian border. It was "summer" there, with snow on the ground still, and one of their activities was riding a sled. Of course they were at or near the Arctic Circle I think, but it still amazes me how a group of people could look at an area covered in snow all year round and go, "Hm... this looks like a good place to settle down." I can't imagine trying to farm in land like that.[/quote']

We don't farm up in the mountains. Only reindeer and mosquitoes up there. And Sami. And miners.

Also, tourists.