Configurable Flash

I'm building a character with configurable weaponry. I want to give him a flash that he can change the affected Sense Group to reflect different configurations (strobe light, white sound, radar jammer, etc) and I want to avoid a VPP. I was thinking either Variable SFX or an interpretation of the Multiple Combat Effects/Varying Combat Effects Adders mentioned for CE on pp. 251-52 on the USPD. Is this how you'd do it? If not, any suggestions?

Re: Configurable Flash

Is there a reason why several slots in a Multipower with different sense-group Flashes wouldn't work for you?

Yes, actually. Its the character concept. The character I'm building is a parody of a character of a player we used to game with (and now use as our 'Example Munchkin'). I wanted to have one slot in a MP that could act as a Flash against all senses. Lesson learned: If your not a munchkin, don't try your hand at it. It makes your brain hurt. :P

Ooh, munchkin challenge! That got my juices flowing. :bounce:

How about this: buy the size of Flash you want, then buy a Naked Adder for it for one Targetting Sense Group (10 points), then apply Variable Advantage to it to vary the Sense Group that it can apply to. Applying VA to Adders is definitely a GM permission thing, but we are in Munchkinland. :sneaky:

VA is normally double the cost of any Advantage it applies to, so let's say it raises the cost of the Naked Adder to 20 points. It sounds like you only want the Flash to apply to one Sense Group at a time, rather than two; IMO that should be worth a -1/2 Lim on the Naked Adder. So, Real Cost = 13 points to change the Flash to any sense group. (Whew! I need a cigarette.) :smoke:

Rather out-there suggestion, of course... but this is a parody, right? :winkgrin:

Ooh, munchkin challenge! That got my juices flowing. :bounce:

How about this: buy the size of Flash you want, then buy a Naked Adder for it for one Targetting Sense Group (10 points), then apply Variable Advantage to it to vary the Sense Group that it can apply to. Applying VA to Adders is definitely a GM permission thing, but we are in Munchkinland. :sneaky:

The only problem with that, LL, is that the +10 point adder is for an additional sense on top of the one the flash normally works against. That, and you are still paying full cost for the dice of Flash. Now, I'm no Munchkin King, but here's my take:

Ultimate Sense Nullifier: 12d6 Flash vs. All Senses - Sight, Hearing, Smell/Taste, Touch, Radio and Mental (85 Active Points) ; Can only flash one sense at a time (-1 1/2). Total cost: 34 points

The best part about this is the more you spend, the greater the savings on the original dice of flash.

6d6 - AP: 55; RC: 22

9d6 - AP: 70; RC: 28

15d6 - AP: 100; RC: 40

Now for this to go into a Multipower would be difficult, because of the high AP...but it goes into an EC very nicely.

And before anyone argues with me about the -1 1/2, I'd remind you that this flash is indeed losing at least 2/3rds of its paid for effectiveness (only being able to affect one out of the six senses that would normally be flashed without said limitation), and especially because we're operating in munchkinland.

Lollipop Guild? Never heard of 'em.

The only problem with that' date=' LL, is that the +10 point adder is for an additional sense on top of the one the flash normally works against. That, and you are still paying full cost for the dice of Flash. Now, I'm no Munchkin King, but here's my take:

Well, I did try to account for that with my custom Lim on the Adder, but I agree that it's a questionable construct (munchkinism aside).

Ultimate Sense Nullifier: 12d6 Flash vs. All Senses - Sight, Hearing, Smell/Taste, Touch, Radio and Mental (85 Active Points) ; Can only flash one sense at a time (-1 1/2). Total cost: 34 points

The best part about this is the more you spend, the greater the savings on the original dice of flash.

6d6 - AP: 55; RC: 22

9d6 - AP: 70; RC: 28

15d6 - AP: 100; RC: 40

Now for this to go into a Multipower would be difficult, because of the high AP...but it goes into an EC very nicely.

And before anyone argues with me about the -1 1/2, I'd remind you that this flash is indeed losing at least 2/3rds of its paid for effectiveness (only being able to affect one out of the six senses that would normally be flashed without said limitation), and especially because we're operating in munchkinland.

Lollipop Guild? Never heard of 'em.

Now that was impressive. I bow before the Great and Powerful Beauxdeigh! :hail:

I must not be much of a munchkin anymore... All I could think of was buying your Flash versus all Sense Groups and then only paying the END for the Sense Groups you plan to flash.

Take that 12d6 Flash everything and put x2 END on just the extra Senses (total cost is 76, 85 to fit into the Multipower). You can flash Sight for 6 END, add a group for another 1 END each, or, in my opinion, trade an additional group for sight for even END trade. So any one group cost 6 END, any two 7 and so on un to all Sense Groups for 11 END.

It's not a cheap as the others, but it's far more versitile... and If you do put it in a Multipower it hardly costs anything at all.

Actually, going through how hashed-out this discussion has become, I'd just go with my first inclination: the Varying Effect Advantage for CE (FREd page 91) at the +1 level. The Variable Combat Effect Adder may be neater, but VE describes the desired effect more precisely.

Though actually, going strictly by the rules, I think just having a separate Multipower slot for each Sense Group would be best.