Would you allow this character?

JmOz

Would depend on the game.

Sounds like your dude is interested in playing Swamp Thing (Moore era). That's cool. If you're interested in running a heavily mystical game with terrible challenges to the Earth's biosphere - a high powered mystic masters game where Swampy, The Phantom Stranger, Doctor Fate and co. get together to lay the eldritch smackdown on unutterable horror from beyond time and space, cool.

Or if it's the sort of game which focusses on personal and ethical dilemmas rather than raw power to solve problems... that sounds great.

However, invisibility and desolidification ALWAYS get the big STOP sign from me. This is the sort of character that could, in the hands of a dodgy player, utterly screw up your entire campaign.

Look at the type of game you're running. If the character doesn't fit it, suggest a new character or a rewrite. If the dude wants to play Swampy, go with Wein/Wrightson Swampy - A brick with Life Support and regeneration out the wazoo, with a few plant powers for flavouring (maybe an EC or Multipower).

However, whatever advice I can give, the final result is up to you. It's your campaign.

Pol.

(Swamp Rot fever)

So the true form is an intangible invisible spirit, but he multiforms into an earth elemental-style brick from time to time ?

On the one hand, it lets the character Accidental Change to a spirit when the elemental body is destroyed. That's nice.

On the other hand, I'd be tempted to just make him buy the earth elemental brick form and sufficient mega scale teleport and self-healing to reflect leaping from a damaged body to a new, fresh body.

Ask the character how he intends to divide his time. If he only wants to be a 'spirit' for travel and after his body is destroyed, I might allow it. If I thought he wanted to be a ghost-like spy, I'd probably not allow it.

Although it sounds like a really neat concept, I'd have to ask myself how much I trusted the player involved. There are some people I'd let play that character without a second thought. With other people I'd rather light myself on fire than let them have something so potentially abusive.

Originally posted by Beetle

Although it sounds like a really neat concept, I'd have to ask myself how much I trusted the player involved. There are some people I'd let play that character without a second thought. With other people I'd rather light myself on fire than let them have something so potentially abusive.

I think Beetle hit my opinion right on the head. :)

What I allow in a game depends entirely on who will be playing the character in question. Some players have the "maturity" to play mega-concepts and some playerd don't. The GM should know his players, and thus be able to work around their individual styles of play.

Now if it were JmOz who wanted to play that character in my game, I would say "No Way!" because everyone knows that JmOz is a munchkin. :)

I love the concept, but if the player is going for Swamp Thing, I would try to convince him to go with a mega-range teleport with the limitation- needs plant/earth element to form body and a high level regeneration with the same limitation.

Still, if I trusted the player, I'd let him run with it. It's a cool concept.