Beginning of an Era

FTJoshua

For those of you still interested about our potentially campaign-ending fight, the battle and adventure ended last night.

We won.

But not without loss.

The bad news is that we lost four PCs all together in the fights. They were legitimate and honorable deaths. One was my brother.

The good news is that when all the dust settled, it occured to the PCs that this victory would lead to a paradigm shift in their world. Darius had literally blown up six major cities across the globe to the tune of more than 19 million deaths. Not long after, another demonic-sort of "villain" released hundreds of thousands of minions to Earth. So while the biggest threat to the world is now over, there remains a lot of housekeeping to do.

Understand that these are PCs who never had a history of being altruistic in their motivations. Sure, they's save the world, but only because they still lived on it. There was a pointed speech by one of the lesser powered PCs earlier in the adventure where the high-powered PCs were essentially called out. Something like, "You all have all this mighty power and ooooo, 'I save the world every day' and whatever...but did any of you stop on the way to give someone CPR? Or rescue someone being crushed beneath the panicked feet of the public? No. Well until we do that, we're not very good heroes."

That got the PCs thinking, so now instead of buying Even More Strength etc etc, they'll be spending points on things like Paramedics and other skills that will be useful in this society in chaos.

It's a nice change of pace for the campaign, and it was worth four lives to get there - and to save the world, of course.

Finally, another fundamental shift has occured: Death is now a reality where before it was sorta "yeah, yeah, death, blah blah." Now we know it really does happen, and that changes how everyone plays. Very cool.

Thanks for everyone who chipped in on the previous thread, and sorry I didn't get back to it sooner.

Re: Beginning of an Era

Glad to hear it worked out for the best.

I tried to reinvent my original campaign for Champions by trimming away 200+ characters of my own in a potential world-ending event. Turns out the changed world was pretty much like the old one, so aside from de-cluttering things, no real results.

Glad to hear it worked out for the best.

I tried to reinvent my original campaign for Champions by trimming away 200+ characters of my own in a potential world-ending event. Turns out the changed world was pretty much like the old one, so aside from de-cluttering things, no real results.

That's one of our fears, too. Would you have done anything differently in hindsight?

The paradigm shift sounds like a wonderfully cool thing for your game. It's like a new writer and editor took over a comic book and decided to take things in an entirely new direction. Hopefully this will "boost sales." ;)

Just one question....

The bad news is that we lost four PCs all together in the fights. They were legitimate and honorable deaths. One was my brother.
Do you mean your brother's character, your character's brother... or :shock: your brother?

Just one question.... Do you mean your brother's character, your character's brother... or :shock: your brother?

Sorry. :) My oldest (longest-played) PC, Felix, lost his brother Decemitri, a PC who has been around about a year or two.