[Western Champions] Chamions of the West Super Team

JmOz

As I start to write Western Champions (A hopeful Digital Hero Artivcle) I realise that I will probably have way to much info, so to save space, and get feedback I thought I would cut out of the draft the Champions of the West Superteam, and share it with you find people.

Please note I am using these 7 heroes as a way to gather my thoughts on the article, so comments are welcome. No name is finalised, these are working names to keep them strait in my head.

First a synapsosis: The Champions of the west will not start off as a team in the play test adventure, though a web will connect each of them to each other. The story will take place in Hope Springs in the Dakota Territories.

Defender: Okay I already have his stats up somewhere and his background story partialy done, at the time he was being called crusader. I kind of like using some familiar names, thus Defender. In a nut shell he is a Jack of all trades, good with a gun but not the best, a good fist fighter but not the best, etc... He does probably have the best horse however...

Seeker: A China Man who has mastered secret arts of fighting the west is not familar with (Kung Fu), he has come to the west looking for something (his wife? Child? to get revenge? not sure what). Essentialy a Wuxia.

Prarie Rose: Only Female in the group (1800 were somewhat sexist). Mistress of the Lariett. Lives in Hope springs and was inspired when she first heard of Defender

Deadshot: One of two with actual powers, in his case he regens from death, some rPD/rED, and some Life support. Essentialy he is serching for the man who killed him, so that he can return the favor

Totem: Okay I hate the name, but he is a white man raised by a tribe of indians. The medicine man has gifted him with a magic cloak that allows him to turn into four animals (Coyote, Eagle, Bear, ???? thinking something like a mouse), also allows him to talk to animals

Sure Shot: WHile I hate the name Totem, I down right cringe at this one... He is the best shot in the group, he can do things with his guns others can't even dream of.

Not sure about number seven, but I lean towards a brave...

• Replies 51
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Re: [Western Champions] Chamions of the West Super Team

Well, to start with I'd ditch the nicknames, at least for the most part. Prairie Rose is a reasonable Old West nickname for a woman named Rose, but for the rest I'd try to keep to normal names with perhaps a sense of synchronicity (like your Sure Shot could instead be Tad Shooter).

Defender would most likely be a Harmon (assuming you want a Hero Universe tie-in). Since he's too early to be James I, maybe he can be Alexander (a name I like for heroes because it means "helper of men") or Nick (a good traditional macho-guy name; Nicholas means "victorious people," or possibly Dominic for "belonging to the Lord").

I probably could come up with name suggestions for the whole rest if you want.

Your Totem guy, instead of using a magic cloak, could actually use Shamanism or some other form of magic from FHG. (I don't actually own that book, so that might not be practical; you'd have to check it yourself.) He could have an Indian as a companion -- not a sidekick, of course, but your seventh PC -- who is a valiant warrior.

What sort of base point level are you going for here?

Sorry Bob, I did not make it to clear, these characters are going to be in the mold of the Lone Ranger, Zorro, Two Gun Kid (Marvel), etc... Thus the nicknames, however good names are still being looked for.

As for the Harmon, great idea, but I think I might just have to go with John Harmon...

Base points is low super hero so 150 +100 IIRC. They have to buy equipment with points (in otherwords it uses the super level of play).

I do think the idea of a noble warrior a good idea, and have that kind of as a place holder unless something better comes along (Originaly it was going to be a French Fencer named Renard, but droped him as being to much of a clone of Zorro, with two other clones in the group wanted to avoid that.)

For Mr. Harmon, if he's a Jack of all trades, maybe he's Jack Harmon.... ;)

For Deadshot, the name Deadman is a legitimate family name from England. If you don't want Nick for Harmon, maybe he can be Nick Deadman (it has a nicely morbid feel to it).

Prairie Rose could be Rose... Lawson, perhaps? Or maybe Binder, to tie in with her lariat.

For some reason I want to give Totem the name of Seamus Irwin. Maybe because Seamus (pronounced "shamus") makes me think of magic, while Irwin is a salute to good old Steve-o. :)

Maybe Mike Surbrook or someone can chime in on a good Chinese name for Seeker.

Okay so so far the names I am borow...Err Blantently ripping off of Bob are:

Defender: John Haron; Quasi Team Leader, Generalist

Totem?: Shamus Irvin; Medicine Man (primary combat spell is still Multiform)

Deadshot? Nick Deadman; Revenge seeking undead gunslinger

Praire Rose: Rose Moore, Mistress of the lariet

Seeker: XXXXX, XXX; China man and expert in the ways of Kung Fu

Red Eagle?: Native Warrior

XXX XXXX: Jack Spade: Best gunman in the west

Heh JmOz, I like the concept, but the Gunslinger sounds almost like an Immortal, Revenant, or Lazarus. My haps he bears a artifact that prevents him from dying or was cursed. Perhaps he is a Voodoo Petro Zombie free of the Hougans control.

Deadshot? Nick Deadman; Revenge seeking undead gunslinger

Until we meet again

QM

for some reasion i cant help but see praire rose as a brothel madam. running the lariet saloon and weilding a lasoo and a bull whip to keep unruly customers in line.

That's funny as I see ehr as a School teacher, all prim and proper, that the reason she wears a mask is because she is afraid of uit underminding her postion in town as a good woman...

I'm thinking so right now' date=' it makes sense that not all of them would be SI[/quote']

And generally they're the gunslinger. Jack Spade, the gambler gunslinger. I mean, some of them used epithets. Bill Hickock went by Wild Bill Hickock. So, Jack Spade could be... Lucky Jack? Give him some luck in addition to his gun abilities. Possibly?

Seeker

Player:

Val Char Cost
20 STR 10
29 DEX 57
20 CON 20
15 BODY 10
13 INT 3
13 EGO 6
15 PRE 5
10 COM 0
4 PD 0
4 ED 0
6 SPD 21
8 REC 0
40 END 0
35 STUN 0
6" RUN02" SWIM015" LEAP1Characteristics Cost: 133

Cost Power END
15 Staff: Multipower, 30-point reserve, (30 Active Points); all slots OAF (-1)
1u 1) HA +4d6, Reduced Endurance (0 END; +1/2) (30 Active Points); HA (-1/2) 0
1u 2) Missile Deflection (Bullets & Shrapnel), Adjacent Hex (+1/2) (22 Active Points) 0
1u 3) Leaping +10" (14" forward, 7" upward), Reduced Endurance (0 END; +1/2) (15 Active Points)
Powers Cost: 18

Cost Martial Arts Maneuver
4 Block: 1/2 Phase, +2 OCV, +2 DCV, Block, Abort
4 Disarm: 1/2 Phase, -1 OCV, +1 DCV, Disarm; 30 STR to Disarm
4 Dodge: 1/2 Phase, -- OCV, +5 DCV, Dodge, Affects All Attacks, Abort
4 Escape: 1/2 Phase, +0 OCV, +0 DCV, 35 STR vs. Grabs
3 Grab: 1/2 Phase, -1 OCV, -1 DCV, Grab Two Limbs, 30 STR for holding on
5 Kick: 1/2 Phase, -2 OCV, +1 DCV, 8d6 Strike
4 Knife Hand: 1/2 Phase, -2 OCV, +0 DCV, HKA 1d6 +1
3 Legsweep: 1/2 Phase, +2 OCV, -1 DCV, 5d6 Strike, Target Falls
4 Punch: 1/2 Phase, +0 OCV, +2 DCV, 6d6 Strike
3 Throw: 1/2 Phase, +0 OCV, +1 DCV, 4d6 +v/5, Target Falls
4 Tien-hsueh Strike: 1/2 Phase, -1 OCV, +1 DCV, 2d6 NND
3 Weapon Element: Blades, Chain & Rope Weapons, Staffs
Martial Arts Cost: 45

Cost Skill
3 KS: Kung Fu (INT-based) 12-
3 Analyze: Combat 12-
10 Defense Maneuver I-IV
3 PS: Carpenter (INT-based) 12-
3 Acrobatics 15-
3 Breakfall 15-
3 Climbing 15-
3 Contortionist 15-
3 Sleight Of Hand 15-
2 Language: English (fluent conversation)
6 WF: Common Martial Arts Melee Weapons, Common Melee Weapons, Common Missile Weapons
Skills Cost: 42

Cost Talent
12 Combat Luck (6 PD/6 ED)
Talents Cost: 12

Total Character Cost: 250

Val Disadvantages
10 DF: Asian (Concealable; Always Noticed and Causes Major Reaction; Detectable By Commonly-Used Senses; Not Distinctive In Some Cultures)
10 DF: Style (Not Concealable; Noticed and Recognizable; Detectable By Large Group)
10 Hunted: Loyd Gang 8- (As Pow, Harshly Punish)
20 Hunted: Imperial Guardsman 8- (Mo Pow, NCI, Harshly Punish)
5 Money: Poor
15 Psych. Lim.: Code Vs. Killing (Common, Strong)
20 Psych. Lim.: Code of the Wuxia (Very Common, Strong)
10 Psych. Lim.: Looking for Child (Common, Moderate)

Disadvantage Points: 100

Base Points: 150

Experience Required: 0

Total Experience Available: 0

Experience Unspent: 0

Suggestions and notes on Seeker's sheet:

1) For publication purposes, each slot in the Multipower should have a name -- say, Strike, Deflection, and Pole Vault.

2) Replace the Chain & Rope Weapons element with Clubs. That's good for improvised weapons of opportunity.

3) The DF: Asian should probably be a Social Limitation.

4) Lloyd is spelled with two L's (it's Welsh).

5) Maybe you could sacrifice two or three maneuvers for a wuxia "kung fu trick" or two?

1) Good catch on the naming of the slots Strike, Block & Vault

2) Done, no question about it. You are 100% right

3) I was going back and forth on the DF or Social Limitation (originaly he actualy had two, one was DF asian, the other was SL:minority, but decided it was double dipping). It is a hard line to draw where one ends the other begins. I will consider it. I might also just give him both, with the SL being priced at the 5 for extrem reactions, same point total so a little bit of how it looks

4) Thank you

5) Will look through my UMA 4th, UMA 5th, and Ninja Hero 5th for ideas, and go from there. However I will lean away from the more extreme tricks (No Chi blasts or what have you)

I might even drop his Kung Fu and give him a Kung Fu MP instead (HA, HKA, Etc) and skill levels...

The "martial arts tricks" I had in mind were mainly minor-ish things like Iron Shirt and hing kung.

I figured as much, but was afraid of someone else misinterpreting it...

Okay this is a revised Seeker, this time instead of a big MA package he has a small package (10 points) and then a 25 point MA of HA's, and other abilities.

I am toying with droping the Animal Handling to give him a Greater Wuxia Leaping (+10, Accurate, x4, 1/2 End)

Seeker

Player:

Val Char Cost
20/35 STR 10
29 DEX 57
20 CON 20
15 BODY 10
13 INT 3
13 EGO 6
15 PRE 5
10 COM 0
10 PD 0
10 ED 0
6 SPD 21
8 REC 0
40 END 0
35 STUN 0
6" RUN02" SWIM05"/10" LEAP1Characteristics Cost: 133

Cost Power END
25 Kung Fu: Multipower, 25-point reserve
1u 1) Martial Strength: +15 STR, Reduced Endurance (0 END; +1/2) (22 Active Points); No Figured Characteristics (-1/2)
1u 2) Blinding Strike: Sight Group Flash 3d6, Reduced Endurance (0 END; +1/2) (22 Active Points); No Range (-1/2) 0
2u 3) Tien-hsueh Strike: Hand-To-Hand Attack +2d6, Reduced Endurance (0 END; +1/2), No Normal Defense ([standard]; +1) (25 Active Points); Hand-To-Hand Attack (-1/2) 0
1u 4) Ghost Palm: HA +2d6, Affects Desol One Special Effect of Desolidification (spirits) (+1/4), Reduced Endurance (0 END; +1/2), Penetrating (+1/2) (22 Active Points); HA (-1/2) 0
1u 5) The Throwing Strike: HA +2d6, Reduced Endurance (0 END; +1/2), Double Knockback (+3/4) (22 Active Points); HA (-1/2) 0
2u 6) One Thousand Strikes: HA +2d6, Autofire (5 shots; +1/2), Reduced Endurance (0 END; +1) (25 Active Points); HA (-1/2) 0
2u 7) Knife Hand Strikes: Killing Attack - Hand-To-Hand 1d6 (2d6 w/STR) (vs. PD), Reduced Endurance (0 END; +1/2) (22 Active Points) 0
2u 8) Block: Missile Deflection (Bullets & Shrapnel), Adjacent Hex (+1/2) (22 Active Points) 0
1u 9) Wuxia Leaping: Leaping +2" (4"/9" forward, 2"/4 1/2" upward), Reduced Endurance (0 END; +1/2) (3 Active Points)
Powers Cost: 38

Cost Martial Arts Maneuver
4 Block: 1/2 Phase, +2 OCV, +2 DCV, Block, Abort
3 Legsweep: 1/2 Phase, +2 OCV, -1 DCV, 5d6 / 8d6 Strike, Target Falls
3 Throw: 1/2 Phase, +0 OCV, +1 DCV, 4d6 / 7d6 +v/5, Target Falls
Martial Arts Cost: 10

Cost Skill
3 KS: Kung Fu (INT-based) 12-
3 Analyze: Combat 12-
2 Animal Handler (Equines) 12-
10 Defense Maneuver I-IV
10 +2 with DCV
3 PS: Construction (INT-based) 12-
3 Acrobatics 15-
3 Breakfall 15-
3 Climbing 15-
3 Contortionist 15-
3 Sleight Of Hand 15-
2 Language: English (fluent conversation)
3 Paramedics 12-
6 WF: Common Martial Arts Melee Weapons, Common Melee Weapons, Common Missile Weapons
Skills Cost: 57

Cost Talent
12 Combat Luck (6 PD/6 ED)
Talents Cost: 12

Val Disadvantages
10 DF: Asian (Concealable; Always Noticed and Causes Major Reaction; Detectable By Commonly-Used Senses; Not Distinctive In Some Cultures)
10 DF: Style (Not Concealable; Noticed and Recognizable; Detectable By Large Group)
10 Hunted: Lloyd Gang 8- (As Pow, Harshly Punish)
20 Hunted: Imperial Guardsman 8- (Mo Pow, NCI, Harshly Punish)
5 Money: Poor
15 Psych. Lim.: Code Vs. Killing (Common, Strong)
20 Psych. Lim.: Code of the Wuxia (Very Common, Strong)
10 Psych. Lim.: Looking for Child (Common, Moderate)

I was initialy going to have Renard (French for Fox) a French Fencer in the Zorro mold, I decided as the story is taking place in the Dakotas that there would be to many SI problems

Undertaker

Player:

Val Char Cost
15 STR 5
18 DEX 24
23 CON 26
15 BODY 10
13 INT 3
11 EGO 2
20 PRE 10
6 COM -2
10 PD 7
10 ED 5
4 SPD 12
8 REC 0
50 END 2
35 STUN 0
6" RUN02" SWIM03" LEAP0Characteristics Cost: 104

Cost Power END
11 Shooting Iron: Killing Attack - Ranged 2d6 (30 Active Points); OAF (-1), Increased Reloading Time: 2 phases (-1/4), Beam (-1/4), 4 clips of 6 Charges (-1/4) [6]
25 Regeneration: Healing BODY 1d6, Can Heal Limbs, Resurrection, Reduced Endurance (0 END; +1/2), Persistent (+1/2) (70 Active Points); Extra Time (1 Turn (Post-Segment 12), -1 1/4), Self Only (-1/2) 0
50 Undead Phsiology: Life Support (Eating Character does not eat; Immunity All terrestrial diseases and biowarfare agents; Immunity All terrestrial poisons and chemical warfare agents; Longevity Immortal; Safe in High Pressure; Safe in High Radiation; Safe in Intense Cold; Safe in Intense Heat; Safe in Low Pressure/Vacuum; Self-Contained Breathing; Sleeping Character does not sleep) 0
10 Undead Body: Damage Resistance (10 PD/10 ED) 0
Powers Cost: 96

Cost Skill
4 +2 with Pistols
3 Bribery 13-
3 Bureaucratics 13-
3 Gambling 12-
3 Interrogation 13-
3 KS: Bounties 12-
2 Navigation (Land) 12-
3 PS: Bounty Hunter 12-
3 Riding 13-
3 Shadowing 12-
3 Streetwise 13-
0 TF: Equines
2 WF: Small Arms
Skills Cost: 35

Cost Perk
15 Follower
Perks Cost: 15

Val Disadvantages
15 Psychological Limitation: Hunting: XXXX XXXXX (Common, Strong)
15 Psychological Limitation: Vengeful (Common, Strong)
5 Reputation: Unstopable Bounty Hunter, 8- (Extreme; Known Only To A Small Group)
10 Distinctive Features: Stench of Death (Concealable; Always Noticed and Causes Major Reaction; Detectable By Uncommonly-Used Senses)
15 Physical Limitation: Mysterious and Egngmatic (Frequently, Greatly Impairing)
20 Vulnerability: 2 x STUN Fire (Common)
20 Vulnerability: 2 x BODY Fire (Common)

I'm not sure "Mysterious and Enigmatic" would qualify as a Physical Limitation. It might work as a Distinctive Feature, though.

For the "stench of death" DF, you'll probably want to note in the text how it's concealable -- I'd normally call it Not Concealable.

Other than that, all I caught were a couple of typos ("Enigmatic" and "Physiology").

The physical lim was a mis click, it was suppose to be Psychoilogical. I got it from the 4th edition Dark Champions, essentialy he is a loner but not quite...

As for the stench, I'm not sure how I want to handle that as of right now, I want people to be uneasy around him, most animals to be skittish, etc... but I don't want people to know why they are, just a bad feeling around him type thing...

Maybe make it Non concealable and then Unusual senses? I will think on it more