Got an idea at work today.

Badger

Well, today at work i had a bad day. Basically, everytime I touched anything electronic it seemed to break down. After I got home I got to thinking this might be an interesting quirk for an RPG character. So I was wondering how I could create this quirk. Basically a bad luck with mechanical and electronic equipment.

Re: Got an idea at work today.

Dispell sounds good...

Do you want them to break, or just stop working while the character is around? Like, if he leaves, would it all start working again?

"I tell you, that toaster is out to get me!" (%)

Never, never never buy a Power to represent a Disadvantage.

Sounds like a Physical Limitation: Difficult working electrical equipment, or Unluck: electrical devices xd6 (no modifier, but dice rolled when working with electronics).

Of course, if you wanted to break stuff, then it'd be a Power, possibly with NCC if you couldn't control when it activated. But if you're only gonna use it once to break Dr D's control room, don't pay points. Dr D's control room can be trashed by anyone flipping switches at random and spilling coffee on the keyboard.

Final note: Make sure after your character kicks the copier one final time and storms off, the office lacky strolles up, hits one button and the machine flies smoothly into proper function (and when you storm back in to see what he pushed, lights flicker...:eg:).

I wonder, could you take a naked Limitation as a disad? In this case, perhaps Side Effect, w/ the effect being a Dispel on tech? I am not sure how many base points you would "base" the lim on, but it might be feasible.

Some good ideas. Right now I am leaning towards Dust Raven's Unluck with electronic devices. And rolling x amount of dice. My idea of it is I dont want something bad to happen all the time. But I would want something unpredictable to happen often enough that it would cause him and his allies some trouble. Some second guessing when it comes to letting him use the electronic devices of the group

Leader: Hey Joe could you go fix the TV dinners in the microwave.....on second thought seeing what happened last time lets just eat them cold.

To be exact I guess I am looking more at it just malfunctioning or short-circuiting while the character is within a certain vicinity (but not 100% of the time, and a bit randomly) He could watch TV for hours w-o trouble then goes into the kitchen to fix microwave popcorn and the thing blows a fuse for no apparent reason kind of thing. So if my thinking is right, the unluck might work best in this case.

Thnaks for all the ideas.

I've had two PCs with this problem. Both mystics, they just bought physical limitations - cannot use technological devices (cel phone, television remotes, radios, etc.)

The devices in question weren't broken, they just wouldn't work for the PC.

Never' date=' never [i']never[/i] buy a Power to represent a Disadvantage.

Oh, how true. How very true. You can build this with Physical Limitation easily.

How often does it happen? Probably not very... Using your TV/microwave example, I'd say it only happens Infrequently.

And how bad is it? Does the microwave just overcook the food, no matter how carefully the character prepares (he puts it in for thirty seconds on low, double checks that he did it right, and it sets the food on fire), which would be Slightly limiting? Or does it blow a fuse, shutting down the microwave and all electronics in the house, Greatly impairing him (in regards to electronics)? Or does the microwave blow up, doing 1/2d6 HKA versus ED, Area of Effect? Which would be Fully limiting.

That's how I'd model it.

And occasionally, it could be used as an advantage. Most disadvantages can be helpful, sometimes. If you have a Psych Lim: Honest, you do get the benefit that people who know you are likely to trust you completely. And if you have the Age disadvantage, you eat cheaper at Denny's.