Caleon Casting Styles

Jkeown

In my re-envisioning of the setting first glimpsed in FH1 as a few maps and names of cities and rivers, I have come up with what I beleive is a unique idea... :yes: I expanded the maps and stuff, and now, almost two decades later, it's a whole wacked-out Steam Punk world with what I hope is a cool magic system.

I've shown a bit of it in the thread on society's reactions to specific magical conditions. Now... some details...

----------------------------------

Rivers of Magic

In the world of Caleon, powerful magic particles flow from rifts at the equator toward the poles. The loops and spirals shift from day to day, changing the magical topography and challenging the minds of mages the world over. The patterns are not predictable, but there is a tendancy for some magic to be drawn off the Flows and sent arcing toward nodes, over which sit the Great Cities of Caleon. Some of the magic heading toward the cities is redirected outward by ancient lenses; reflected back to provide power to great city-girdling spells called Wards, and to power smaller personal-scale magic called Matrices (singular: matrix).

Anybody can form and direct matrices, by specialized training at Magical Universities or by birth. Natural spell casters are called Nye. Nye are becoming more common as the ages wear on, and they seem to be an integral part of the planet's magical nature. Nye can see magic flows as if they were glittering winds, blowing north and arcing around the great cities. For that matter, they can feel magic embodied in items, and feel greater pain when spells go wrong. They are usually visible as Nye, having odd eyes or skin coloration. Frequently, enchanters who work their magic while pregnant give birth to natural spell casters.

Magic Flows affect targetting, Skill Rolls and Endurance use. Wizards can fly along the flows at great speed, but had better have a back up plan if the flow shifts suddenly! Casting spells into the Flow is hard (what with the magic flowing into your face, resisting your spellcasting) and easy when cast "downstream," so that the Flow carries the spell along with it. Teleportation is less taxing downstream as well.

----Spell Failure----

Spell failure carries a few risks. Some, like the Process Surge, merely accerate the natural working of the world, plants grow rapidly and may twist around your feet, rocks may crumble to dust and small animals evolve into ferocious predators in seconds. Mold can spread out like wildfire and choke an area off or send poisonous spores skyward.

Another known spell failure result is Internalization, taken as magic arcing across the caster's brain... expressed as a killing attack whose active points equal those of the base spell. Other types of internalization involve the spell targetting the caster.

----Tidal Waves of Magic----

MageStorms occur infrequently. For reasons unknown, the surging of magic through the Equatorial Rifts can suddenly spike and send vast amounts of raw power surging toward the poles. Within the Magestorm one finds many things. Atmospheric distruption is common, so lightning, thunder and torrential rain is not unexpected, but objects and people from far afield can be found in the aftermath. One thing is known, objects lost in one magestorm frequently turn up in the next! Can it be that the magestorms keep them? Or, as suggested by a certain baked ham being warm and unspoiled after years lost in a 'storm, are magestorms one-way trips into the future?

Spellcasting is risky in a 'Storm, all Skill Rolls for casting are at -10 and random spell effects (Woonfel suspects all spells that ever failed are saved up and thrown around in Magestorms, but he's an idiot) can be experienced.

----Magic Items----

Magic Items are a sort of "out" in this sytem. They do not suffer from the effects of the Flows. The creation of the item can be looked at as a way of "freezing" the condition of local magic in the item. Artefacts are like photographs of a spell. Therefore, items and powers cast from items are safer, but can never benefit from any positive effects of the flows.

----LifeQuests: Becoming Magical----

It is said that "Following the Flows" can consume a lifetime. Those that understand the ancient ways of the Dharzoon, Elzar or Kuzar sages may undertake a LifeQuest and eventually merge a part of Caleon's Magic Flows with themselves. Permanent magical effects are possible, but there are drawbacks... ancient things awakened into our world, demons haunt the way, and the Questor is cautioned, for he will be forever changed... closer to Magic, and farther away from Humanity.

----Writing Spells----

Casters are prohibited from buying spells in a VPP or other framework. Compound Powers are acceptable. Spells are bought using one of 4 styles of magic. Any power and any Special Effect can be used, be it Fire, Ice, Avacados...what have you... The Styles affect the limitations that may by placed on the spells, not the special effect.

There are 4 "styles" of magic... named after the 4 classical elements, of Fire, Water, Earth and Air.

It should be noted that they do not refer to the Special Effects of the spells, but the method with which they are cast. All styles have the RSR limitation.

Fire Style is quick, dangerous and flashy. Side Effects are required, Limitations like (quick, spastic) Gestures, and (monosyllabic) Incantations and Visible apply here. Extra Time is a prohibited limitation. Fire Style casters tend to dress in clothes that hurt your eyes.

Water Style is "soft" and conforming. Slow and safe, quiet. Use limitations like Gradual Effect, and Gestures and Incantations Throughout. Water Style mages are sure of themselves and do not hurry.

Earth Style is just as slow as Water, but noisier. Noisy or Visible are appropriate. Earth Style mages are boisterous, but steady in their actions. Confident and conservative in dress and manerisms.

Air Style is fast and stealthy, Invisible power effects, a lack of Incantations and general sneakiness. Air Style casters can be quiet, stealthy watchers or quiet stealthy doers, just depends on their mood.

----Sample Spells----

Here are some "worked examples" of Caleon-style Magic.

Dharheen's Defense

This is an example of a quick, convenient Fire Style bit of Defensive magic. In a pinch, one might need such a spell. If the field fails to form, the caster receives a harsh warning on the matter.

Dharheen's Defense: FF (4 PD/4 ED) (8 Active Points); Requires A Fire Style Roll (-1/2), Side Effects (Internalized Magic - 1d6 HKA vs ED; -1/2), Incantations (-1/4), Gestures (-1/4), Visible (-1/4)

Tapping the Flows

A Spellcaster can tap into a nearby flow and pump up his spells with it. Other casters can detect this interference and often decide to investigate.

Basic Power Tap: Aid all magic matrices, any one matrix at a time, Can Add Maximum Of 40 Points 4d6 (40 Active Points); 1 Recoverable Charge (-1 1/4), Does not work in more than 100" from a Flow (-1/2), Visible (-1/4), Gestures (-1/4), Incantations (-1/4) Real Cost: 11

The City of Plenty

In Kythros City, the greatest of Caleon's Cities, one need not eat as often as one has to in other areas. This has led to decadent lifestyles and general decline. For a city of the Steam Age, it is vast and crowded, for here, food is abundant and worries are few. However, all those people have attracted rats, monsters, disease, evil spirits and chaos aplenty...

Sustenance Ward (Kythros City Ward): LS (Eating - Characters only have to eat once per week), Difficult To Dispel (x2 Active Points; +1/4), Area Of Effect (2048" Radius; +3 3/4) (5 Active Points); OIF Immobile Unbreakable Expendable (Extremely Difficult to obtain new Focus; Extradimensional Node of Solidified Magic; -2 1/2) Real Cost: 1

-----------------------------------------

Any style can have armor piercing, penetrating or the like, but the Styles are really categorized by limitations. Additionally, you can have any special effect with this system. It is a little odd to say "I cast my Earth-styled Fireball." but it should immediately tell you that this is a fire-based spell that will take a bit of time to cast.

Takes a little getting used to, I admit.

Ideas? And.. if this has been done before... PLEASE TELL ME SO I CAN QUIT BRAGGING ABOUT IT TO MY GROUP!

Re: Caleon Casting Styles

To avoid the type of confusion you note, I would divorce the casting styles from the "traditional 4" Elements.

Really, it adds nothing to the concept and places conceptual limitations on future expansion, as well as creates confusion in regards to SFX.

I would instead define meta rules about styles, in the form of something like:

*Required Modifiers:

At least -1/4 Limitations that must be taken by all spells of the style

At least +1/4 Advantages that must be taken by all spells of the style

The Limitation and Advantage total must be equal for both in the case of Required Modifiers. Thus a Style That must Take IPE: Sight & Hearing, Hide Effects of Power (+1) would need to take a total of -1 in mandatory Limitations, perhaps Increased END x2 and Full Phase.

If Modifiers that only apply to specific types of Powers, such as Hardened or Combat Acceleration, are named as Required Modifiers then only Powers that may use that sort of Modifier are permitted for that Style.

*Restricted Modifiers:

A total of +/-1 in Modifiers that may not be taken, split as desired between Advantages and/or Limitations. This could be -1/2 in Limitations and +1/2 in Advantages, +1 in Advantages, or -1 in Limitations, or any combination in between.

The Limitation and Advantage totals are sympathetic for Restricted Modifiers, so that if a Style has -1 in Restricted Advantages they dont need any Restricted Limitations and vice versa. For Modifiers with differing values, use the base or starting value, so for example for Activation use Activation 15-, for Autofire use +1/2, etc. If the Style requires an Advantage, such as Reduced Endurance (0 END), then a Limitation that is already disallowed by that Advantage, such as Increased END, may not be listed for this purpose.

Thus a Style that can never use either Reduced END (+1/2) or Autofire (+1/2) would not need any Restricted Limitations since the total +/-1 worth of Modifiers is reached (note that the minimum version of Autofire is used in this example, not the version of Autofire modified by combining it with 0 END).

If Modifiers that only apply to specific types of Powers, such as Hardened or Combat Acceleration, are named as Restricted Modifiers then only Powers that may use that sort of Modifier are permitted for that Style.

* Each Style must Require a Skill Roll: Style Skill, and a character must have the associated Power Skill. This Power Skill also serves as a Knowledge Skill for that particular Style.

*Spells may not be on Charges.

As far as Power Frameworks, consider allowing a character to have an MPP Power Framework for each Style. Thus, as a caster masters a Style (by buying their Reserve up for that Styles MPP) all of their uses of that Style can become stronger (if they have the points to bump the slots up to use all the max AP available in the Reserver), or more robust (by allowing them to keep more Spells active in their MPP at once), or both. Since each Style has a set of mandatory and Advantages and Lims they can be applied directly to the Reserve, and in this system i would say the must be applied to the Reserve.

I briefly mention this type of set up, labeled "Suite Casting" where a caster has several different topical MPP's in this document ( http://www.killershrike.com/FantasyHERO/GreyHEROContent/Powers/Magic.shtml ).

This would allow a character to know one Style fairly economically, but mastering multiple styles would be very expensive.

An approach of this sort allows there to be many "Styles" of Magic, all functioning under the same basic system. You can still detail 4 or so "dominant" Styles with large followings for the same net effect, so you get the best of both worlds. Thus your four elemental labeled styles might become:

Préciat is a quick, dangerous and flashy style focusing on immediate gain and application. The Style is renowned for its aggresiveness; Matrixes of this Style are effortless but ephemeral, and feel "furious", "temporary", or "fleeting" to those with Mystic Senses. Highly direct, this Style is never subtle and never lasting.

Required Advantages: Reduced Endurance (0 Endurance; +1/2)

Required Limitations: Incantations (-1/4), Side Effects (-1/4)

Restricted Advantages: Uncontrolled (+1/2)

Restricted Limitations: Extra Time (-1/4), IPE (-1/4)

Common Modifers: Reduced By Range, Gestures, Incantations, Visible.

Doséao is a conforming, flexible style. Never direct, this Style is slow and metered but predictable and low risk, and often has subtle and lasting effects. The Style is known for its fluidity; Matrixes of this Style are resistant to tampering or countering, and feel "viscuous", "accepting", or "soft" to those with Mystic Senses. However, this Style of Magic is highly personalized, and completed matrixes cannot be granted to others to be used.

Required Advantages: Reduced Endurance (0 Endurance; +1/2), Difficult to Dispel x4 (+1/2)

Required Limitations: Concentration (-1/4), Extra Time (-1/4), Incantations (-1/4), Gestures (-1/4)

Restricted Advantages: Usable By Others (+1/4)

Restricted Limitations: Side Effects (-1/4), Reduced By Range (-1/4), Activation (-1/4)

Common Modifers: Gradual Effect, Concentration, Gestures, and Incantations Throughout.

Grendémere combines the pacing and stability of Doséao with the power and directness of Préciat. A composite Style, it is practiced by those who prefer a balance of aggression and patience, force and finese. The Style is renowned for its tenacity; Matrixes of this Style are extremely resistant to tampering or countering, and feel "implacable", "inevitable", or "heavy" to those with Mystic Senses. This Style also bypasses the effortless channeling of energy of some other Styles and can be taxing on the Stylist.

Required Advantages: Difficult to Dispel x8 (+3/4)

Required Limitations: Increased END Cost x2 (-1/2), Extra Time (-1/4)

Restricted Advantages: Reduced END (0 END, +1/2)

Restricted Limitations: Reduced By Range (-1/4), IPE (-1/4)

Common Modifers: Gradual Effect, Concentration, Gestures, Incantations, Visible.

Selembrié is a fast and stealthy approach to Magic, practiced by those who prefer patience and opportune action to overt force. The Style is renowned for its subtlety; Matrixes of this Style are extremely difficult to detect, but feel "insidious", "indirect", or "sneaky" to those with Mystic Senses that manage to suss them out. This Style also bypasses the effortless channeling of energy of some other Styles and can be taxing on the Stylist, and long term effects can be difficult to acheive.

Required Advantages: IPE (at least to two senses; +1/2)

Required Limitations: Increased END Cost x2 (-1/2)

Restricted Advantages: Reduced END (0 END, +1/2)

Restricted Limitations: Incantations (-1/4), Visible ("Noisy" version; -1/4)

Common Modifers: Gradual Effect, Concentration Throughout, Uncontrolled.

Another important detail, I would allow Magic END Reserves to those who wanted them, but in your particular setting I would require that the REC be limited so as to only be possible when on a Node or in a Ley Line, and perhaps require a distinct Power Skill (as in an additional Power Skill, not a Style Skill doing double duty) with the amount of REC based on how much the Roll were made by.

The advantage of having a more inclusive design is obviously that you can later add new Styles as you think of them, and so can Players if you allow them.

For example you might add a rarer style or two such as:

Vorbéa is an unusual Style known for its rigidity and attention to minutiae; Matrixes of this Style are resistant to tampering or countering due to their complexity, and feel "structured", "inflexible", or "complex" to those with Mystic Senses. However Matrixes of this Style are very difficult to form in the first place due to the intricate hand gestures used.

Required Advantages: Difficult to Dispel x4 (+1/2)

Required Limitations: Gestures (Complex, -1/2)

Restricted Advantages: None

Restricted Limitations: Side Effects (-1/4), Reduced By Range (-1/4), Incantations (-1/4), Concentration (-1/4)

Common Modifers: Gestures Throughout, Reduced Endurance, Increased Endurance, Extra Time.

Condé is a purely offensive Style known for its destructiveness. Matrixes of this Style are typically simple and single-purposed, and feel "hot", "volatile", or "dangerous" to those with Mystic Senses. This Style only has attack oriented Matrixes.

Required Advantages: Armor Piercing (+1/2)

Required Limitations: Extra Time (-1/4), Gestures (-1/2)

Restricted Advantages: Line of Sight (+1/2)

Restricted Limitations: Reduced By Range (-1/4), Concentration (-1/4)

Common Modifers: Gestures (Both Hands), Reduced Endurance, Autofire, Extra Time (Delayed Phase).

Fégoh is a highly specialized Style based entirely around travelling the Magical Flows. Matrixes of this Style are typically simple and single-purposed, and feel "swift", "efficient", or "quick" to those with Mystic Senses. This Style only has movement oriented Matrixes.

Required Advantages: Combat Acceration/Deceleration (+1/4)

Required Limitations: Only Along Magical Flows (-1/4)

Restricted Advantages: Persistent (+1/2)

Restricted Limitations: Side Effects (-1/4), Extra Time (-1/4)

Common Modifers: Reduced Endurance, Concentration, Non Combat Acceleration/Decceleration, No Turn Mode.

If you dont mind Id like to write the above magic system up in full and post it, with shared authorship. I need an example of "Suite Casting" anyway, and this looks to be a pretty flexible and useful System.

Let me know if you are down with that....

Thanx!

Post away... we can trade off a bit... I'll certainly be taking your advice when working out this new system to present to my players. I had considered renaming it after one of them kept thinking I was talking about Elemental Special Effects. "So... could you combine air and water to get Fog?"

He didn't quite get it... Maybe renaming them will do the trick. I'll try not to just cut and paste your comments. However, it's so well done, I don't know that there's anything to do but add the "expanded style" material to my document... Organizing my notes is tedious work, and you've kick started the magic chapter nicely.

Thanks for the advice! :winkgrin:

When I first started reading this thread, I was going to post something about how I really liked the feel of the elemental schools of magic, and maybe you could do something about mixing them? Then KS chimes in and runs the ball further than I could even have seen. :cheers:

Jkeown, one thing I would add to KS's description of the first four schools written up is the possibility that some people either see the schools in terms of elements (not that they're right, just that's how they see things), or one of the major sages used the elements to describe them a loooooong time ago. Those who do this stuff professionally know that using elements to describe things is inadequate, to say the least, but sometimes it beats trying to get the hoi polloi to grasp the intricacies of magic.

KS, I was reading through your Character post here, and it almost looks like you are double dipping on the MP, You have a limitation on the main PP that shows all slots are at X2 Endurance, then all the powers seem to have that as well.

I might just be reading it wrong, but that is what it looks like.

Other than that it looks like a great character, and a great magic system.

I was wondering if I could present it to my players as an option for a magic system or magic style when it's complete?

Hob :king:

KS, I was reading through your Character post here, and it almost looks like you are double dipping on the MP, You have a limitation on the main PP that shows all slots are at X2 Endurance, then all the powers seem to have that as well.

I might just be reading it wrong, but that is what it looks like.

Other than that it looks like a great character, and a great magic system.

I was wondering if I could present it to my players as an option for a magic system or magic style when it's complete?

Just typed a lengthy reply that got eaten by a "Cannot find server" message :mad:

So here is the short version:

The Lims on the slots and the reserve isnt double-dipping, its by the book. Its covered on page 207 in FRED under Power Modifiers On Multipowers.

Taking Advantages on the Reserve so that they apply to the slots at no additional cost on the slots is covered on the same page as an aside. It's recommended that 0 END on Reserves should be avoided, but Ive ignored that warning in this system (2 of the Styles detailed so far use it) as I dont think it's particularly overpowered option in context to this and other competing magic systems.

As far as using the system & character, of course! Use away. Here are my other Magic Systems thus far:

http://www.killershrike.com/FantasyHERO/HighFantasyHERO/MagicUserProfessionLinks.shtml

Im thinking about calling the finished product Metier

Metier ( P ) Pronunciation Key (meh-tyay, m-)

n.

An occupation, a trade, or a profession.

Work or activity for which a person is particularly suited; one's specialty. See Synonyms at forte1.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

[French, from Old French mestier, from Vulgar Latin *misterium, from Latin ministerium. See ministry.]

This system is a bit underpowered Active Points wise, doing best in the 30-60 AP range, but the ability to have 0 END or an END Reserve makes it dependible and reliable. It should be a good "toolboxy" adventuring-friendly system. Like all MP based systems it's strength is expandibility via cheap slots, its weakness is the cost of raising both the Reserve and the slots to grow more powerful, and its finiteness.

All due credit for the idea belongs to Jkweon however; all I did was refine the mechanics of his interesting concept and IMO Mechanics should always take a back seat to Creativity.

It appears Black Rose beat me to it, but I'll say it anyway. The terminology used to describe a system doesn't have to make sense to the outsider. Perhaps the earliest wizards and philosophers used the elemental terms to describe certain forms of magic, and for better or worse, the terms have stuck. Of course, if it's causing problems with your players, maybe Killer Shrike's naming method is best, with side commentary that the elements have often been used as well. That way, the players will get a handle on the system without the baggage of limiting special effects. Once the game is well underway, if they still haven't grasped how a rope can be mended with a fiery spell, then they can just make a KS roll or follow red herrings...

As an example, the alchemy system from Reve: the Dream Ouroboros describes temperatures in terms of color. A milky white liquid can be heated to red or orange and still remain milky white. The term is confusing to the outsider, but to an alchemist, it makes perfect sense. The alchemy system also describes textures and consistencies with animal names...sheep, rabbit, horse, etc.

Anyway, to make the point, and then go to bed, since I feel like I'm rambling wildly, the terms don't have to make sense in and of themselves, and to my mind, the fact that they are confusing makes it even BETTER. Odd, cloaked in mystery, magical....

Caleon's Orgins caused the use of the Elemental Styles, as it has grown from being played. Very little development was ever done by my sitting down and writing. It has a a feel of having been "Made up on the Spot" and that's just what it is. It grows through discussions with gamers, message board stuff and when an actual Game Machanic like Shrike comes along, it flies...

It becomes something more than my ad-libbing. That magic system's been in my head for a long time. It is something grand now, with Shrike's help, it will see its full potential. My webpage for Caleon will be up soon. Then you can all marvel at 20+ years of "making stuff up on the spot" or vomit.. not sure which you'll all do...

It is strangely consistant, however...

That said, use what you like of my work... but give KS his due... he cut and polished this diamond of mine so you could wear it.

It's very funny, I ran in terror from running Hero system based games for a long time. Mostly cause I hate math, and some days a quick and dirty fight is just by far better. Never mind the fact that I Have been playing D&D for more years that I can count. on two hands and two feet. Regardless I am finding now that the math is not so important as the description in this game, as Shrike so elegantly pointed out, mechanics should allways take a back seat to creativity. The system that is outlined here, is excellent, and I plan to use it for a special race in my FH game. If it's any indicator of what more is to come, I look forward to reading your work. I can only hope that the magic system and stories and locations I produce stand up so well on thier own.

When the flow of magic was first described, I imagined mages surfing the current...

Basic Zeenar Surfing

5" Gliding, x4 Non-Combat Multiple (10 Active Points), Combat Acceleration/Deceleration (+1/4), 0 END (+1/2), Only Along Magical Flows (-1/4), OIF: Any flat surface used as a Surfboard (-1/2)

10 Real Points

Option:

For novices, remove the Non-Combat Multiple, 1 Real Point for 1" Glide

Advanced users, add No Turn Mode (+1/2), 13 Real Points

You can go "uphill" or "upstream" but at half speed. You are actually "riding the flow" so your rate is impeded somewhat. "Downstream" OTOH, you can really rip things up, moving at twice the speed you paid for.

• 1 month later...