Electrical power affects???

sharxboy

Re: Electrical power affects???

If your GM decides that it's an electrical device? Yes. Personally I would consider both the blaster and the powered armor to be electrical devices, although I could see how SFX could be explained otherwise.

Just my opinion, but "electrical device" skirts the border of what I call the "extremely broad SFX" rule. Whenever I find the SFX of an adjustment power to be too broad, I increase the cost of the advantage. For example, one of the PC's in the campaign I'm currently running wanted a dispel vs any technological device, with "technological" being anything from the industrial age to just this side of "sufficiently advanced". That's extremely broad, so even though it's just one power at a time I made him buy it at +1/2 instead of +1/4. I did the same with another PC that wanted a Dispel Magic -- other GM's will probably disagree with me but that's too broad for a mere +1/4, at least in the campaigns I run.

Remember that when you dispel a focus chances are the character can't just turn it back on as a zero-phase action -- it's part of the foci limitation in my opinion. Also remember that under the rules as written you can't use Dispel against characteristics -- but that characteristics bought as powers are fair game, as are END Reserves.

In fact, attacking the END of reserves this way has turned into a common tactic in my games. It makes a wonderful balance on reserves in my opinion, although I've had to tweak/complicate the rules for doing so in order to have the effect I want. For example I've ruled that the END/REC of reserves is affected by adjustment powers at their true costs (2 END for 1 pt and 1 REC for 2 pts) instead of the "reserve" costs (10 END for 1pt and 1 REC for 1 pt), that you must target the END and REC of the reserve seperately (it takes 2 attacks, or a Rapid-Fired Dispel), that the cost of the Difficult to Dispel advantage is also based on the "true" cost... A lot of ruling I admit but it makes for a nice check/balance in a campaign in which there's good justification for most characters to take END Reserves.

Dispel is like my other pet power, Mental Illusions -- they are both more useful in more situations than many HEROphiles have learned yet.

Well, I am the GM, and plan on running Viper so, this one character would possibly be able to turn a bunch of viper agents blaster inoperable, how fun would that fight be after that?

Suggestions on limiting effect of power?

EJ

Number one, don't allow Dispel to be spread and keep an eye on AE or Autofire Dispels. One hero using a dispel against one agent probably isn't the best use of the attack action.

Second, don't worry too much. Most of the time it takes a slightly above average roll for a Dispel to take out a power with the same active points it has.

Finally, charges are your friend :D

Well, I am the GM, and plan on running Viper so, this one character would possibly be able to turn a bunch of viper agents blaster inoperable, how fun would that fight be after that?

Suggestions on limiting effect of power?

EJ

Depends upon how much dice in Dispel he has. If he has just enough to kill one blaster, then there will be times it won't work. If he has plenty, then he'll still have trouble tackling the bigger weapons (no one says you have to equip the standard agenst with standard weapons). Of course, if he doesn't have enough dice, then there's no problem.

Alternatively, VIPER, after losing too many fight because of weapon failure, start issuing a devide to agents who are expected to be dealing with this character. Something like EMP Shielding (in this case, Power Defense XX Only To Protect Electrical Equipment (-1)).

Alternatively' date=' VIPER, after losing too many fight because of weapon failure, start issuing a devide to agents who are expected to be dealing with this character. Something like EMP Shielding (in this case, Power Defense XX Only To Protect Electrical Equipment (-1)).[/quote']

Or the "Difficult to Dispel" advantage...

Guest Witch Doctor

Depends upon how much dice in Dispel he has. If he has just enough to kill one blaster, then there will be times it won't work. If he has plenty, then he'll still have trouble tackling the bigger weapons (no one says you have to equip the standard agenst with standard weapons). Of course, if he doesn't have enough dice, then there's no problem.

Alternatively, VIPER, after losing too many fight because of weapon failure, start issuing a devide to agents who are expected to be dealing with this character. Something like EMP Shielding (in this case, Power Defense XX Only To Protect Electrical Equipment (-1)).

Something really sick and twisted is to just increase the AP limits on the Viper stooges. When the rest of the party start complaining about it, point out that you had to do it because of the dispel.

Guest Witch Doctor

/em repeating self

Of course, as a player in that case I'd quickly point out the Difficult to Dispel advantage. No really, it's official and everything.

Its not nearly as fun to use "Difficult to Dispel".

Number one, don't allow Dispel to be spread and keep an eye on AE or Autofire Dispels. One hero using a dispel against one agent probably isn't the best use of the attack action.

Second, don't worry too much. Most of the time it takes a slightly above average roll for a Dispel to take out a power with the same active points it has.

Finally, charges are your friend :D

Note though that according to the dispel examples in the Ultimate Martial Artist, dispelled gadgets are broken and need to be repaired... making dispel and awesome PA killing power... :eg: