Requires a Skill Roll

CorpCommander

Lets say I have an attack power defined with RSR.

Lets say I blow my die roll to activate it. :cry:

Can I still make an attack using another power or HTH?

I think the answer is YES because the power did not activate and therefor no attack was thrown. Plus its fair compensation considering the ridicule I will get from the other players for having such lame dice.

Re: Requires a Skill Roll

I think the answer is YES because the power did not activate and therefor no attack was thrown. Plus its fair compensation considering the ridicule I will get from the other players for having such lame dice.

Acualy, both yes and no. If it was part of a multipower attack, with one power based on a skill roll, and another not based on a skill roll, and you blowed yout skill roll, you can still use the other power.

Beyond that, you blew your roll to activate the power, your attack is lost. The same is true for Activation rolls.

Of course, you can (and will proably will) rule otherwise. For the official answer, ask Steve.

Forcently, he diden't ask about linked powers and Requiers A Skill Roll. Anyways, if a linked power has a Requiers A Skill Roll limitation, and it fales, the power it is linked TO still fiers. If the power it is linked TO has Requiers A Skill Roll, then if the main power fails, the linked power fales also.

Well, enougth of that.

Steriaca.

"Don't look at me...I don't even work here."

Acualy' date=' both yes and no. [/quote']

That sounds about right. Any power based off of that power skill roll would therefore be out of the question. For example if you had a ninja hero with a bunch of powers related to chi focus, they would all fail to activate if you failed to achieve focus. But a straight up punch, swing with a prosaic weapon, or some power not associated with the failed power skill I could see getting off.

I'm interested in hearing what some of the long time Hero GMs do in this situation.

I didn't pose it in the Hero Questions forum for Steve for 2 reasons. A) he is busy editing and writing books I want to read and B) this one has the feeling of GM discretion. I can see a case being made either way depending on the flavor of the campaign.

Technically you have used your attack - it just didn't do anything useful. So, no you can't throw another punch or shoot another gun.

A failed RSR uses a 1/2 phase. Think of it as missing the target.

in a Mulitiple Power Attack, I'd rule that the other non-RSR attacks go off as normal and take effect.

Technically you have used your attack - it just didn't do anything useful. So, no you can't throw another punch or shoot another gun.

A failed RSR uses a 1/2 phase. Think of it as missing the target.

in a Mulitiple Power Attack, I'd rule that the other non-RSR attacks go off as normal and take effect.

OK well I will go with that. Its not like I don't get a benefit from RSR making powers cheaper. I haven't designed the charcter yet, just written the back story (3 pages worth) and Enlightenment checks are going to be an important factor. The charater is a Boddhisattva who drives a taxi when not in heroic form!

This is explicitly answered in the rules FAQ...

"Q: Since making a Required Skill Roll is indicated as a Zero Phase Action (5E 199), does that mean a character who fails his roll can declare some other Action instead of what he was intending to do?

A: No. It would be more accurate to say that making an RSR is a Zero Phase Action that’s a part of the overall Action attempted, or not to indicate a time increment at all. If a character says he’s going to do something, and that something Requires A Skill Roll, failure of the roll means failure of the overall action, which uses up the amount of time it normally would if successful."

Derek, that is perfect. Add to it the fact that an attack is normally a half-phase action unless its your first action in which case it becomes a full phase action regardless. This then is a definitive answer: a failed RSR on an attack is a failed attack.

In a multipower attack I assume each power has to be looked at individually. This makes sense.

Thanks everyone for their input. Ahhh the power of herodom combined!

--Pete

Without GM's permission or overruling, I would say No. While RSR is generally used for skills not powers, if you use it for a power, you treat it like an activation roll, meaning that if you fail, not only does that take up your attack, but you have to spend END on it as well.

Think of it like using a slingshot that has RSR. You pull out your stone and use your RSR for putting the stone in properly. You fail, and when you let go, the stone simultaneously flops either up or down. You've not only used your time trying to fire, but used END as well, only to see your stone plop a foot away from you. Somewhat the same of using a bow & arrow when you don't place the arrow up against the bow; maybe in a hurry you let go when the shaft is an inch or two away from the bow. You still fowl up.

Plus its fair compensation considering the ridicule I will get from the other players for having such lame dice.

??? It's not the fault of the dice. And your "fair compensation" is spending less character points on the power.

Finally: A limitation that does limit, is not a limitation.

I would say no, the failed activation constitutes an attempted attack, no different from fireing and missing (if approperate, it burned END or used a charge as well). However, I would say that you had a half phase left for a defensive action (dodge, block, missile deflection, etc.).