The Last Word

Bazza

Re: The Last Word

A sentence like that out of Josh's mouth would've earned him a tickling so bad it'd make him throw up.

In other words, I disapprove.

Not my fault, it came strait from the horses mouth, just keep a hold of yer hats and saddle up, 'cuz we're just starting to trot along....

(Beware. Failed EGO roll against Geekitude psychlim.)

NGC 188 is one of two relatively nearby old open clusters which have been exhaustively studied and are cornerstone objects for studying stellar evolution. (The other is M67, which is even nearer to my heart; a cut-down adapted image of it is my avatar.) "Old" here means comparable to the Sun in age, or older; most open clusters get destroyed pretty quickly -- a few hundred million years -- by tidal forces in the Galaxy. There are a few features of stellar interiors and evolution that make for visible differences in the color-magnitude diagrams of old clusters and young ones, and the age of these old clusters, combined with their near-solar chemical composition, has made them key observational standards against which stellar interior model predictions have been tested.

Depends on who you're talking to, really.

If you were talking about the significance of 188 to my dad, perhaps, he'd be fascinated to know the answer. My mom . . . Well, her eyes would glaze over, and she'd fall asleep.

But then, she works 2 jobs, and one's an overnight.