The Last Word

Bazza

Do I admit I went and saw Buffy The Vampire Slayer at the cinema because Luke Perry was in it and I was a Beverley Hills 90210 fan? 

I saw all five of the Twilight movies in the theater...and read all the books. It ain't Shakespeare, but they were better that some of the books I was required to read in high school and/or college.

I saw all five of the Twilight movies in the theater...and read all the books. It ain't Shakespeare, but they were better that some of the books I was required to read in high school and/or college.

The only literature that might come close to (or exceed) Shakespeare is the ancient Greek tragedians and comedians. 

I've read the books, and have seen movies 1, 2, part of 3, and 5.

As far as I'm concerned, they ain't vampires or werewolves. They may be glittery emo ticks, but they ain't vampires.

I would need to know much more about Asian cultural history before I could respond to that.

True. the Hindi epics would most likely exceed the Greek tragedians, comedians and Shakespeare. The epic from which the Bhagavad Gita is extracted from is HUGE, and by huge i really mean HUGE. And that is about 1 of 3 or 4. 

But within the Occident, I'd still reckon the Greek tragedians & comedians are on par with Shakespeare. The position Shakespeare enjoys now was the position the Greek tragedians & comedians in earlier eras, and are still influential today (of course). 

Between 1919 and 1966, scholars at the Bhandarkar Oriental Research InstitutePune, compared the various manuscripts of the epic from India and abroad and produced the Critical Edition of the Mahabharata, on 13,000 pages in 19 volumes, followed by the Harivamsha in another two volumes and six index volumes. This is the text that is usually used in current Mahabharata studies for reference.[41] This work is sometimes called the 'Pune' or 'Poona' edition of the Mahabharata.

About 1.8 million words in total, the Mahabharata is roughly ten times the length of the Iliad and the Odyssey combined...W. J. Johnson has compared the importance of the Mahabharata to world civilization to that of the Bible, the works of Shakespeare, the works of HomerGreek drama, or the Qur'an.[9]

Most would freak over 10 pages.

Whiny little turds.

QFT. When I give a textbook reading assignment of more than ten pages in my intro-level classes, I get audible groans and complaints.  It's a little better in my Honors classes.

My AP class already knows I'm an unreasonably demanding S.O.B., so they just nod their heads grimly and accept it.

No, it's my own thing, though I don't make a secret of it.

A satanic question tests your faith as well as knowledge. The exact example I lived through as a student can be described this way: take-home final exam. First question. Compute how different the answer is if you take a case we studied in class, and give it a specific tweak. Fine. I know how to do that. Work on it. Most of an hour later, I get the answer ... and the difference is zero.

So ... you got a zero, all the terms canceled out. Do you believe that? How's your faith? If your physical understanding is strong, you get that, say Yes, that makes sense, and move on. If not, you fear you have made an error, and you do it again. Maybe again twice, getting zero each time.

Now you see where the "satanic" label comes in.