The Last Word

Bazza

Chemistry question:

What naturally occurring carbon-based rock/mineral has fullerenes? 

Answer:

By means of high-resoluton transmission electron microscopy, both C60 and C70 fullerenes have been found in a, carbon-rich Precambrian rock from Russia The fullerenes were confirmed by Fourier transform mass spectrometry with both laser desorption and thermal desorption/electron-capture methods to verify that the fullerenes were indeed present in the geological sample and were not generated by the laser ionization event. The mass spectra were measured under conditions sufficient to resolve the 13C/12C isotopic ratios for C60 and C70 and indicate that these ratios correspond to the normal range of isotopic values.

Correction to article:
The last two sentences of the second paragraph of the report by Peter R. Buseck et al. (10 July, p. 215) should have read, "We subsequently confirmed the presence of C60 and C70 by mass spectrometry. They occur within fracture-filling films in shungite, an unusual carbonaceous rock found near the town of Shunga in Karelia, Russia."

I have a cross made out of it as a pendant. 

Wouldn't surprise me if there are other places with it, but I am not much of a geologist.

Meanwhile, got the seminar done with about 4 hours to spare. Goof off for an hour, and then take care of low-intensity tasks I've neglected lately.